HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs might recall Korbinian Holzer from the AHL and trade a defenceman very soon

Old
01-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Erdinger

vCash: 500
I think it will be Aulie traded. Komisarek is here till the end of next year(on that I think you can bet the farm), Schenn is overpaid for the way he is currently performing. Seriously I don't know what we are going to get back for Aulie. Burke can't take on anymore big contracts unless he somehow pulls another rabbit out of his hat and trades a few of these guys like Armstrong,Mac,Lombardi who are all complete duds being paid in the 3-4 million range. Good luck on that.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:19 AM
francis246

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedpotato View Post
I think if we want someone of value, Schenn is exactly the type of player we'd be forced to trade. I don't think anyone's implying that there's an proposal to trade; just a speculation that the cailbre of player we're hoping to get back is worth the value.
I also agree with this, but I think there is other people on Burke's list way before Schenn. Think about it realistically, Schenn just signed his 5 year deal and at the presser, Burke talked about how they want him here and he's a key part moving forward. I think Burke's ego is way to big to just sign a player to an extension then trade him... and for that reason I don't see him moving Schenn this year at least. I think Aulie, MacArthur, Kulemin, Bozak, Komisarek are all people I have leaving the team before we give up Schenn.

francis246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Razorwing

Calm down guys, I highly doubt Schenn will be moved. Phaneuf? Nope. Komisarek or Aulie might be moved I'd say.

Razorwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Problem with leaf fans is that we value 1st round picks way to ****ing highly as if they are suppose to be top end players Schenn was not touted to be picked 5th over he was ment to be picked 8th-15th overall at best and that is because of his play in the WHL ( a D-man league )
you just illustrated the "problem with Leaf fans" nicely with your own post.

Schenn was rated at 5 or 6 by pretty much everybody. The Leafs picked him right where he was ranked.

Learn the game and start acquainting yourself with the facts before calling out Leaf fans.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorwing View Post
Calm down guys, I highly doubt Schenn will be moved. Phaneuf? Nope. Komisarek or Aulie might be moved I'd say.
I am calm when I say this, no player on this team is untouchable. If Burke could trade Dion or Phil and improve this team, he has to do it. You know what they say if 99 could be traded.>>>

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
**** Schenn he is more overated then Kadri and Kadri is the size of a grade 12 kid..... Trade SCHENN for what ever we can get him for ..... PLEASE Bruke trade his slow ass before his value is nothing
This. Heed these comments, Burke. He might be good physically but he's slow as hell and his hockey-IQ is sub-standard.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:32 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Problem with leaf fans is that we value 1st round picks way to ****ing highly as if they are suppose to be top end players Schenn was not touted to be picked 5th over he was ment to be picked 8th-15th overall at best and that is because of his play in the WHL ( a D-man league )
Aren't you the guy who'd take Gomez over Bozak?

Schenn was ranked 5th, and up until this season solidified himself as a top 5 pick. One off year does not define a career and that my friend is the problem with leaf fans.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post

Schenn was ranked 5th, and up until this season solidified himself as a top 5 pick. One off year does not define a career and that my friend is the problem with leaf fans.
He wasn't very good in his 2nd year either.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:33 AM
KuleminFan41

Its kinda funny, people want to give up on Schenn at 22 years old but once he's traded and kills it(because you know he will) people will say"Leafs let go another great draft pick!" and then complain that we don't take the time necessary to develop players

Its a sad sad world we live in don't we?

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:34 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You know what they say if 99 could be traded.>>>
I hate this argument, Gretzky was sold not traded for. A team strapped for cash got a pretty penny in return. NHL should allow the exchange on money again, Toronto would have the ability to be a dominant team.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I would love to see Holzer up with the Leafs, we need more smart, steady and poise like him in the squad to control our gaffes in our end.

Wouldn't mind if Burke traded any d-man besides Gunnar and Gardiner.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
He wasn't very good in his 2nd year either.
There is a difference between wasn't very good and average. He played amazing in his 1st and 3rd year, now he's playing like a 4/5 D. People are making it seem like he doesn't even belong on an NHL roster, but he is still playing better than Komisarek and Aulie. Everyone is being too hard on our 22 year old home grown player, and the ones beginning for him to be traded now will be the ones who will be crying in the end.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Kulemon

Quote:

This

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:38 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
This. Heed these comments, Burke. He might be good physically but he's slow as hell and his hockey-IQ is sub-standard.
How good do you think he'd look in NAS?

Schenn is being coached and developed in the wrong system. But if we make a change to suit him, you can say goodbye to Kessel and Lupul's impressive play. This is really on Burke to change or trade. It's up to him. We don't have the forwards to play in a defensive system, only Kulemin. We have too many defensive minded Dmen to play a run and gun. Either change the coach and trade for more 2 way players, (either Staal would do) or trade guys like Schenn, Komi and Aulie and get back more Gunnarson's. But then you can look forward to Dion being the only protective Dman

Rock and a hard place IMO.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
There is a difference between wasn't very good and average. He played amazing in his 1st and 3rd year, now he's playing like a 4/5 D. People are making it seem like he doesn't even belong on an NHL roster, but he is still playing better than Komisarek and Aulie. Everyone is being too hard on our 22 year old home grown player, and the ones beginning for him to be traded now will be the ones who will be crying in the end.
I don't want him traded just for the sake of it. I just don't think he's flourishing under Wilson's system. I'm sure he'll play very well in another system where wingers actually backcheck.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post

Schenn is being coached and developed in the wrong system. But if we make a change to suit him, you can say goodbye to Kessel and Lupul's impressive play. This is really on Burke to change or trade. It's up to him. We don't have the forwards to play in a defensive system, only Kulemin. We have too many defensive minded Dmen to play a run and gun. Either change the coach and trade for more 2 way players, (either Staal would do) or trade guys like Schenn, Komi and Aulie and get back more Gunnarson's. But then you can look forward to Dion being the only protective Dman

These are good points. I'm surprised Burke didn't look at these contrasts when he was assembling the pieces.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post

I agree. But it doesn't change the fact that Schenn's slow and isn't all that great defensively -- I'm not talking about him getting caught pinching (that's a product of the system, as you mentioned) but I am talking about him not being as good defensively (in the defensive-zone) as he's touted to be. He's average at passing and I think he must get his shots blocked more than any other player in the league.

Schenn's still a good player but I think the praise he often gets and the apparent value that he holds is not warranted. The team has players who can essentially replace him and needs that can be filled by trading him. It'd be nice to keep him but you have to give to get.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Igy
HFBoards Sponsor

Trading Schenn would be a huge mistake unless we get a massive overpayment. If he's implemented into a strong defensive system, on one of the better teams in the NHL, he would shine.
Our system is flawed.

Igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Holzer should get a shot. This guy is a total beast. Imo, he makes Komi and Aulie expendable.
He does, does he? I guess it's the fact that Holzer has already porven to be an NHL defenceman, with a fair size sample, therefore making Komi and Aulie expendable?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:39 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
I agree. But it doesn't change the fact that Schenn's slow and isn't all that great defensively -- I'm not talking about him getting caught pinching (that's a product of the system, as you mentioned) but I am talking about him not being as good defensively (in the defensive-zone) as he's touted to be. He's average at passing and I think he must get his shots blocked more than any other player in the league.

Schenn's still a good player but I think the praise he often gets and the apparent value that he holds is not warranted. The team has players who can essentially replace him and needs that can be filled by trading him. It'd be nice to keep him but you have to give to get.

I'm not opposed to trading Schenn myself. But I'm pretty confident that if he is sent to a better defensive coach, he will make all the whiney 15yo's that want him out now, whiny-er when he smothers Kessel into the boards and hurts him cleanly. He needs a particular coach to excel IMO. Wilson is not that coach. RW seems great at getting a lot from his offensive forwards. But not a great defensive system guy. Not a good playoff coach, my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
He does, does he? I guess it's the fact that Holzer has already porven to be an NHL defenceman, with a fair size sample, therefore making Komi and Aulie expendable?
LOL. So true. Holzers only proven he deserves a chance. Not a spot.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

how would you rate holzer's skating and passing ability on a 1 to 5 (for each) ?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:55 AM
zapy

Holzer is not better than anyone of our current 8 defencemen.

Sorry to disapoint you guys!

He may turn out a bit better than Aulie, but there's a reason why he's not up here. And he may look great in the AHL but in the NHL he will not look as good.

I'm still confident that Gunnarson is going to be traded though. He is the perfect type of player that other teams will want (considering his play, salary cap etc.)

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
contour

I've always been impressed with Holzer. He was one of the reasons why Germany went so far a couple of years ago (when the WC were held in Germany), playing solid defence against the world's top opponents).

I'd much rather move Schenn, Aulie or Komi instead of Holzer. We need a defensive defenceman with good hockey IQ. There are one or two brain freezes during the game for Schenn and Aulie, which translates into a goal or momentum shift.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:07 AM
UFancyHuh

I'd trade Aulie, Komi before trading Schenn. Really hope he's on the team long term

UFancyHuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1014175

i called this back in Oct.

people need to start showing their respects...to ME!

You are like Don Cherry, you make 1000 statements and the one time you do get something right you rub it in everyone's faces saying, "I TOLD YA SO!"

Weren't you the one who said Lupul was a stop-gap?

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote