HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 06:15 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
Big fan of Emelin and find myself watching more habs games because of him. I was wondering what is the value that habs fans rate him at?
Untouchable.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:09 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Untouchable.
no one is untouchable, for the right price everyone is available.

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Andros777

Frequent and effective hitters are just so rare in the NHL these days, I would put Emelin in the category of "untouchable unless overpayment blah blah". He definitely isn't being shopped at least.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
Big fan of Emelin and find myself watching more habs games because of him. I was wondering what is the value that habs fans rate him at?

Me too, also hope to see a great hit from him.

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Et le But

This guy.

I hope we can lock him up after this season. Everyone loves the hits but he's definitely more than that.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:42 AM
couris

Emelin-Diaz playing well

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:48 AM
spoofpig

how much and how long will he get 2.75 4yr?

spoofpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

The NHL should send around a tape of all his hits to every NHL player ,on how you make clean hits.

What a guy to watch ,glad he took his time in the NHL before he came over, it really paid off ...

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
After the Marchand - Salo incident, are Emelin's hip checks in danger of being called? I realize Marchand's clipping was not a hip check but the result -- the recipient going up and over -- looks the same so not sure how the refs will go, you know, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Anyway we play the bruins next week and I'll bet if Emelin dispatches one of the black and yellow pukes their board will go ballistic.
Clipping is in the rule book. Cannot hit a player at the knees or below like Marchand did. Hip checks are legal and awesome and a lost art...unfortunately, which is why Emelin is so awesome

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Oh, don't worry. I wasn't bashing him or anything. I have very high expectations for him. He'll be one of the more infamous habs in the next coming years. I also agree that he needs to play on the left, at least for the time being.
Emelin and Diaz should be our 3rd pair next year. They play well together and Emelin brings that physical Dman that can play PK while Diaz is the offensive Dman that can play PP.

Add Markov (hopefully), Gorges and Subban and we are only missing 1 solid righthanded Dman for next year. My dream being Weber this summer.

Markov-Weber
Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz

Price

A team built like that does not need a big center. Besides, we can't have Weber and a star center like Staal or Getzlaf, and I prefer having Weber.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:51 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Emelin and Diaz should be our 3rd pair next year. They play well together and Emelin brings that physical Dman that can play PK while Diaz is the offensive Dman that can play PP.

Add Markov (hopefully), Gorges and Subban and we are only missing 1 solid righthanded Dman for next year. My dream being Weber this summer.

Markov-Weber
Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz

Price

A team built like that does not need a big center. Besides, we can't have Weber and a star center like Staal or Getzlaf, and I prefer having Weber.
If Habs can get rid of Gomez and Kaberle they should go after Gleason or get a tougher D like Sutton instead of Weber. I used to like Weber but we have too many offensive D and not enough solid physical D.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
If Habs can get rid of Gomez and Kaberle they should go after Gleason or get a tougher D like Sutton instead of Weber. I used to like Weber but we have too many offensive D and not enough solid physical D.
Weber is more about D and toughness then offense BTW. Weber eats guys like Gleason for breakfast, so I don't get your post.

Weber is 6'4'' 235lbs and gets 200 hits per year and those hits are worse than Emelin. I'm not talking about Yannick.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Weber is more about D and toughness then offense BTW. Weber eats guys like Gleason for breakfast, so I don't get your post.

Weber is 6'4'' 235lbs and gets 200 hits per year and those hits are worse than Emelin. I'm not talking about Yannick.
Sorry I thought you were talking about our Weber. Yes Shea would be much better but not sure we can land him.

Would love Weber and Umberger if we cleaned out Gill, Kaberle, Gomez, Campoli too make the room. Habs would be solid then all around.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
LeMAD

I don't mind Emelin as a 7th defenseman, but one game he's pretty good and the other he's absolutely bad. He's got some upside I guess, but so far he's a disapointment.

The bodychecks are fun to watch, but they don't have much impact on the game, compared to the turnover he gives up and tyhe bad positionning. I thought at first it was the adaptation needed with the smaller ice surface, but he often looks lost on the ice.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Loved when Crabb hit him then 20 seconds later Emelin goes after him then stares him down.

Not a huge fan of Cunneyworth as coach so far but I'm glad he's realized Emelin deserves to be in the lineup every game.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Loved when Crabb hit him then 20 seconds later Emelin goes after him then stares him down.

Not a huge fan of Cunneyworth as coach so far but I'm glad he's realized Emelin deserves to be in the lineup every game.
there must be video of that somewhere

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I don't mind Emelin as a 7th defenseman, but one game he's pretty good and the other he's absolutely bad. He's got some upside I guess, but so far he's a disapointment.

The bodychecks are fun to watch, but they don't have much impact on the game, compared to the turnover he gives up and tyhe bad positionning. I thought at first it was the adaptation needed with the smaller ice surface, but he often looks lost on the ice.
I don't think he's been as bad, sure he doesn't have a great game every day, but when he doesn't, he's pretty invisible and that\'s a good thing for him. Diaz on the other hand...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

I actually heard that from people who watched him in Russia; some games he was the best defender in the NHL and others he was worse than useless.

I think he's been good far more than he has been bad though. His positioning isn't great but besides the hits he does a lot of solid defensive work. His speed has saved us a few times.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore

this is just awesome.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:

you had me confused there for a while

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I don't think he's been as bad, sure he doesn't have a great game every day, but when he doesn't, he's pretty invisible and that\'s a good thing for him. Diaz on the other hand...
I think one of the issues with Emelin having a good game/off game is the fact that they keep moving him around from right side D to left side D. Give the guy some stability. The Emelin-Diaz pairing seems to work have decently.. They should leave it that way for a while.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

that 6''4 Weber with 200 hits will cost you 8.75 million a year.

He won't fit and will have to find a way to be ok with Emelin's 200 hits a year..lol

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
that 6''4 Weber with 200 hits will cost you 8.75 million a year.

He won't fit and will have to find a way to be ok with Emelin's 200 hits a year..lol
If it's not Weber, we'll have to find a way to sign 3 good dmen for next year to play with Gorges, Subban or Markov, or we'll miss the playoffs again...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
HCH

Quote:

Markov-Weber
Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz

Price

You've read my mind... more or less. I think the return of Markov would be a bonus so I think we need to have a plan B. It's too bad that Brendon Nash has been injured all year. He looked like he had the poise to play in the NHL and just needed a little more experience. Counting on him now would be a big gamble.

But I am all for adding a big, rugged RH d-man. Weber is probably out of our reach considering our salary commitments and the FA's on the team that we need to sign. Looking at a 2nd tier defenseman that fits that profile might be more feasible.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
no one is untouchable, for the right price everyone is available.
This is true. But to be fair my post was not about a proposal but I wanted to see how habs fans viewed him in comparison to other players from non habs fan view.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote