HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville claims Brandon Yip off waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2012, 11:23 PM
  #76
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
1st reviews for Yip...Delievered one of the hits of the night, IMO!!!!! Didn't look too lost, considering he just arrived to the team. I could tell he is mighty, mighty slow though. It was strange Mattie was the one to sit, for sure.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:28 AM
  #77
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
1st reviews for Yip...Delievered one of the hits of the night, IMO!!!!! Didn't look too lost, considering he just arrived to the team. I could tell he is mighty, mighty slow though. It was strange Mattie was the one to sit, for sure.
I'd also add he was pretty effective down low, stays on the puck well, tougher on boards and such then I expected, and did a nice job clearing the zone.

And Hals better be nicked up; there is no way that Smithson should be playing in front of any of these guys. Yes, we all know Trotz loves him, but really??

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:35 AM
  #78
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Yeah I am not too happy with Hali being scratched over Yip. Hali his battled all year to earn his spot and put up good numbers doing it. Smithson is the one who needs to gtfo

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:44 AM
  #79
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
i am fine with it if it is a one game thing for Hali. He is still young. It may be a good thing to have last night off. maybe he gets a few extra minutes in the B2B. I know Trotz said it wasn't performance based, but any bump or bruise may be gone now, and combine that with the all star break and a ton of games the last 2 months, he will be fresh down the stretch.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
  #80
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Yip was as advertised last night; Terrible. I see no improvement over anyone on our roster at the moment.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  #81
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
This move only makes since if one of Smithson, Halischuk, or Spailing is traded in a package at the deadline.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  #82
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
This move only makes since if one of Smithson, Halischuk, or Spailing is traded in a package at the deadline.
Despite THE goal he scored in last year's game 5 o.t., thank you Smithers, PLEASE be the one.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
  #83
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,570
vCash: 500
sorry guys.. yip was not impressive last night. he's a 4th line forward that has no hands and sucks at skating.. he is an upgrade over smithson however. but we all know smithson isn't going anywhere.. trotz loves him. and halischuk wasnt injured according to trotz

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
  #84
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Despite THE goal he scored in last year's game 5 o.t., thank you Smithers, PLEASE be the one.
#1 overall faceoff % guy, #2 PK faceoff % guy ... his role in the world is to eat up PK minutes and win faceoffs ... has a better goals against per 60mins of PK time than Spaling. He has the lowest percentage of shifts staring in the offensive zone of anyone on the team ... a trust to take those defensive end starts.

There are a lot of reasons to keep him in spite of his low offensive production.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
  #85
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
sorry guys.. yip was not impressive last night. he's a 4th line forward that has no hands and sucks at skating.. he is an upgrade over smithson however. but we all know smithson isn't going anywhere.. trotz loves him. and halischuk wasnt injured according to trotz
There is no way in the world that he is an upgrade over Smithson. Smithson provides a strong defensive game. If we are depending on him for offense then we are doing something wrong. Smithson is a good guy to have on your team.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:07 PM
  #86
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
There is no way in the world that he is an upgrade over Smithson. Smithson provides a strong defensive game. If we are depending on him for offense then we are doing something wrong. Smithson is a good guy to have on your team.
sorry offensive upgrade .. obviously not defensively..

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:16 PM
  #87
utmfisher19
Registered User
 
utmfisher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
LoL @ anyone who honestly thought they got a "read" on Yip after 10 minutes of ice time last night...

talk about having per-conceived ideas... Try watching a game without having a bias.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:37 PM
  #88
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
LoL @ anyone who honestly thought they got a "read" on Yip after 10 minutes of ice time last night...

talk about having per-conceived ideas... Try watching a game without having a bias.
it doesn't take more than one shift to realize he's slow and has hands on the level of smithson

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
  #89
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
I liked the energy Yip brought on that line, and the hits...

and quite frankly a bunch of us had a great time yelling, YIP, YIP, YIP......everytime he was down near us.

I would imagine Trotz would play him in the next several games before the break to get a good read on where he fits.

Trotz already said he was happy with hali........doesn't have anything to do with him.

Don't know what the skill set is, but we'll find out.

YIPPEE...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
  #90
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
#1 overall faceoff % guy, #2 PK faceoff % guy ... his role in the world is to eat up PK minutes and win faceoffs ... has a better goals against per 60mins of PK time than Spaling. He has the lowest percentage of shifts staring in the offensive zone of anyone on the team ... a trust to take those defensive end starts.

There are a lot of reasons to keep him in spite of his low offensive production.
All this. Smithson is the type of guy that helps you grind out Cups with everything he does on the defensive side of the puck. In some ways, the closest thing we have to a Sami Pahlsson/John Madden type.

As for the trade speculation, I don't necessarily see this as a precursor to a deal. Adding another body to the mix to keep everyone fresh and push everyone that much harder to keep their spot is a good problem to have, IMO. Also can't see Poile trading any of the bottom 6ers that actually have value (Spaling, Hali, Smithson, Tootoo).

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
  #91
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,417
vCash: 500
I didn't think Yip played all that poorly. His skating isn't the greatest, but his presence along the boards is pretty strong and is something we could use. With a little coaching, I could see him turn into a Ward-type player. I don't think he should play over Halischuk, though, if it's an either/or situation.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
  #92
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
It's funny we talk about his skating. If we were to base players on first impression I didn't think Josi had a chance in Hades to stick with us. I thought he looked slow the first game or two. Glad I was wrong on that one. In Yip's case, I'd like a bit more of a sample size to base his play. He'll be a bottom 6 guy for us if he sticks, nothing more, nothing less.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:07 PM
  #93
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,504
vCash: 500
Well, we also enjoyed yelling "yip yip yip" and the video of those guys watching the phone ringing during the video review and all of the "yipping" had me in tears laughing so hard.

As to his actual play, I noticed a big hit, that's about it for now. Too bad he is slow cuz he would've had a breakaway.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:21 PM
  #94
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I like the acquisition if for no other reason than it provides Trotz with another bottom six option to fit into the lineup rather than McGrattan on nights when Big Ern isn't supposed to be in the lineup and will play ~4 minutes.

It was clear from watching practice Friday and the game last night that Yip has missed a lot of time this season and that his conditioning level is going to need some work, but I like his skill base and know from the work ethic I saw at and after practice on Friday that he will get there soon.

Not going to light the world on fire, shouldn't bump Halischuk out of the lineup on a long-term basis, but provides quality bottom-6 depth with some experience and skills to work with should a trade opportunity result in moving a bottom-six roster forward.

FWIW, I think that Halischuk is the most likely roster forward to be moved in a trade this season. His 10 goals from the 4th line, age, and hustle when paired with a pick should have pretty good value for a team looking to move a rental...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
  #95
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Sure seems to me we'd be better off moving Horny than Hals. You'd expect a considerably better return for Horny than Hals. Assuming we get a F back it lets him settle into a top6 role and no one is displaced; if it's a D we can move Smith back to top6 role. Horny is also the logical one displaced by an acquisition of an F and he sure isn't gonna' skate on that Spals line any way you wanna' configure it, which puts his $3mil salary on the Smithson line and the PP. We also save $2mil in salary and I believe we don't lose a ton of production over the next couple years. Of course if we get a C back then all bets are off on what Trotz does with those lines.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
  #96
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Sure seems to me we'd be better off moving Horny than Hals. You'd expect a considerably better return for Horny than Hals. Assuming we get a F back it lets him settle into a top6 role and no one is displaced; if it's a D we can move Smith back to top6 role. Horny is also the logical one displaced by an acquisition of an F and he sure isn't gonna' skate on that Spals line any way you wanna' configure it, which puts his $3mil salary on the Smithson line and the PP. We also save $2mil in salary and I believe we don't lose a ton of production over the next couple years. Of course if we get a C back then all bets are off on what Trotz does with those lines.
Hornqvist leads the team in goalscoring over the last 3 seasons, and pretty handily. He's the only player that we have that's consistently productive in front of the net. I don't get the belief that some have that he's an overrated goalscorer.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM
  #97
utmfisher19
Registered User
 
utmfisher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Hornqvist leads the team in goalscoring over the last 3 seasons, and pretty handily. He's the only player that we have that's consistently productive in front of the net. I don't get the belief that some have that he's an overrated goalscorer.
I do... He scores junk goals. Not skilled goals. If he scored even SOME skilled goals, I'd be all for keeping him because he can score in various ways. But we can put anyone in front of the net with good/soft hands and score the goals he scores (see Geoffrion at the end of last year, Halischuk this year, Tootoo this year, etc). In other words, you need skilled guys to be successful in order for guys like Hornqvist to succeed. So if you take a guy that can create shots off the ice in order to keep Hornqvist, Hornqvist is completely useless.

With this being said, if we don't have anyone else that can go stand in front of the net on the PP and provide a screen, we have to keep Hornqvist... Cause I don't think there is anyone outside of Halischuk and Tootoo (who has God-awful hands)

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
  #98
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
The thing with Hornqvist is that he DOES stand in front of the net. We tried to get so many players to do it over the years and nobody would consistently go to the crease. You can downplay his skill all day, but his willingness is what gets the job done. Easy to replace the skill of putting in garbage goals, very difficult to replace the mentality of taking the punishment on a nightly basis.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  #99
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
No one on this team stands in front of the net. Hornqvist has the quickest hands for rebounds on the team. His willingness to stand in front get garbage goals makes him unmovable

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:35 PM
  #100
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
The thing with Hornqvist is that he DOES stand in front of the net. We tried to get so many players to do it over the years and nobody would consistently go to the crease. You can downplay his skill all day, but his willingness is what gets the job done. Easy to replace the skill of putting in garbage goals, very difficult to replace the mentality of taking the punishment on a nightly basis.
I bolded your comment because it highlights a historical perspective that only fans who have watched with frustration from Game One October 10, 1998 can truly appreciate

So many seasons with so many players who have failed to embrace the role of "garbage man".

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.