HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Second Half

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2006, 06:50 PM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
what's the difference? The point is Dunham had a 2.29 GAA; who cares under what type of system he got that? As for previous years, goaltending let in way too many soft goals; again, who cares under what type of system? This year's wonderful system generates nearly as many quality chances. Quality goaltending makes a huge difference, and the Rangers have had that for only small stretches since 1997.
the difference fletch is that if you look at our team compared to what it has been under those systems and in relation to every team that's playing this year, you'll see that the number of chances the rangers are giving up aren't nearly as everyone is making it out to be.

sure we've got better goaltending now but it's not like this team has played like utter crap in front of them as in other times or as most ppl seem to think on this board. in the new era of the nhl every team is giving up more chances than they used to regardless of who it is. we're not playing like sieves in front of our goalies anymore and that is about SYSTEM.

our pk, which has been virtually the worst in the league over the last 7 seasons combined, is 2nd this year mainly because of SYSTEM, not just goaltending. the team is actually giving a damn this year about defense and making it fit with overall play...again, that's mostly about system.

dunham wasn't great in his 1 full season for sure, but clearly he wasn't getting any real support from the team or head coaches to help him out. richter played as well as he possibly could in the first half of that 2001-02 season and yet his numbers aside from wins looked almost like crap because he was getting no help either from his defense or his own coaches at the time.

so when we see lundqvist and weekes have the good season they've had at this point, sure they've been great, but they've been hardly alone in their efforts.

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 01-01-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old
01-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29
I think it was either 3 or 4 years ago when the Rangers were atop the Eastern Conference entering the new year, riding high off of a rejuvinated Lindros, a productive FLY line, and suprisingly great goaltending performances, just to see it all come crashing down in the second half of the year and once again fail to reach the playoffs.

My point is not to compare the similarities between the two teams, but ask where do you see this team finishing after the second half of the season. The last time we were this many games over .500 this deep into the season, we finished 10th or 11th in the East.

I think this team will continued its success and realistically, if they finish the rest of the season playing .500 hockey, we'll be 10 games over and in the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade.
If I remember correctly, we were in first place at Thanksgiving and a little bit into December before we took a nose dive. We didnt have a playoff spot by 10-11 points on New Years, I know that.

Its gunna be very hard to miss out on the playoffs. The teams on the door step (NYI, NJ and ATL) are all very flawed teams, and I fear only the Devils from that group, if they can get their defense in order and a good coach.

Closed Thread