HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh (1/23: Skating in practice; only had wind knocked out of him)

Old
01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
truebluegoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
ha, make em wait, besides I thought injury wasn't supposed to play a part in deciding suspensions?

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
bettercallstaal
Saul Goodman

Quote:
Why should it matter if McDonagh is injured or not. It should have no bearing. They are judging the hit... not the results.

Last edited by bettercallstaal: 01-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.
bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Machinehead
#YesWeCam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Why should it matter when McDonagh is injured or not. It should have no bearing. They are judging the hit... not the results.
That's the way it should be but Officer Shanaban is daft.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Datsyuk incident was brought up because

Quote:
#CBJ D Nikita Nikitin suffered a left knee injury when he slammed into endboards. Out next two games, reevaluated after ASG break. #RedWings
https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline/st...07243528499203

Quote:
Watching video of the Nikitin/wall collision, it's hard to fathom how he didn't crush his left ankle or break left leg. Very fortunate.
https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline/st...10542285672449

No major injury. So no suspension. The NHL doesn't take injury into consideration? Yeah OK.

The Rangers haven't said anything about McDonagh and the NHL doesn't announce how long Ference will be suspended for because they want to see how McDonagh is feeling. The game was the NHL Network and they don't want to look like *******s.

Amateur hour for the NHL.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Why should it matter when McDonagh is injured or not. It should have no bearing. They are judging the hit... not the results.
I respectfully disagree, if the NHL really wants to cut down on head shots and dirty hits they could suspend players and make them sit out until the injured player is healthy and able to come back. That would make a lot of players think twice, if you seriously hurt someone, not only do you sit, hurt your team, but you lose paychecks as well. The NHL will never do this because they don't take punishment seriously and never have.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Rangerfans

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/

Ference at least suspended for 1 game.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
zestystrat

Waiting on the injury report...what a joke this process is.

I guess the injury is all the severe, otherwise why hold the info back?

Off day or not, he's still getting medical care.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I respectfully disagree, if the NHL really wants to cut down on head shots and dirty hits they could suspend players and make them sit out until the injured player is healthy and able to come back. That would make a lot of players think twice, if you seriously hurt someone, not only do you sit, hurt your team, but you lose paychecks as well. The NHL will never do this because they don't take punishment seriously and never have.
It doesn't work that way. That's not the current NHL policy.

Ference isn't getting more than 5 games with a phone hearing.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post

Why does the NHL need to see if McDonagh is seriously injured before making a ruling? Judge the hit. Don't judge the end result.

The NHL is the joke. Not the Rangers. Why does the NHL need to see the medical report? They always say the end result has no basis for the suspension.

Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
The Datsyuk incident was brought up because

https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline/st...07243528499203

https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline/st...10542285672449

No major injury. So no suspension. The NHL doesn't take injury into consideration? Yeah OK.

The Rangers haven't said anything about McDonagh and the NHL doesn't announce how long Ference will be suspended for because they want to see how McDonagh is feeling. The game was the NHL Network and they don't want to look like *******s.

Amateur hour for the NHL.
There's no suspension for Zetterberg because he didn't do anything, not because of the lack of injury. If his career was ended, Zetterberg still should not have been suspended.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post

It could just be me being naive, but the Rangers have been very weird regarding injuries this season. Obviously concussions are impossible to predict, but it's frustrating watching 20 minute updates on Giroux every 24/7 episode, and not hearing a snippet of info on Sauer for over a month.

For awhile Wolski and Rupp were just out, and then they finally disclosed info on what was up. Jeff Woywitka bruised his foot a month ago and still misses practice.

I'm not questioning anyone, they damn well know what they're doing, but it's weird hearing other teams giving definitive updates on their players minutes after games end.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Why does the NHL need to see if McDonagh is seriously injured before making a ruling? Judge the hit. Don't judge the end result.

The NHL is the joke. Not the Rangers. Why does the NHL need to see the medical report? They always say the end result has no basis for the suspension.
When do they say that? Shanahan always says in videos 'we took into account that x player suffered a concussion from this' or something along those lines.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:23 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

One of the beat writers tweeted that the Rangers had not yet released McDonagh's injury information to the league. That's probably a reason for the ambiguity. (That's also very scary)

Here's another -- on at least one other occasion this year (can't remember off the top of my head) the league did an initial phone hearing and then determined the supension might merit more than 5 games so they called an in person hearing.

I think the league is being thorough and somewhat cautious. That was a big play in a game that got a lot of attention. Their actions are hardly a comedy show from where I sit.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
When do they say that? Shanahan always says in videos 'we took into account that x player suffered a concussion from this' or something along those lines.
They used to say that all the time. I haven't noticed if Shanahan has mentioned that though.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Bruins fans are apoplectic that Shanahan would have the gall to suspend Ference.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Bruins fans are apoplectic that Shanahan would have the gall to suspend Ference.
I can't believe after the crap that team has pulled that they could even still be in denial about this kind of thing.

01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
retribution type of punishments will never happen in the NHL. Even if they did, you'd have to have an NHL staff evaluate the injury, and determine the return date. Otherwise Game 1 of the SCF some diving flopper gets a tap to the head by a Daniel Sedin… and bam he hits the ice and doesn't return for the series.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Can you honestly say you are surprised? The league has had little to no tolerance for these types of hits and it makes me question their intelligence not as Bruins fans, but fans of Hockey if they are so appalled at the Ference suspension.

01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. That's not the current NHL policy.

Ference isn't getting more than 5 games with a phone hearing.
RB
I know that, the point is the NHL talks all this talk about eliminating head shots and blind side hits... but nothing has changed, it actually seems like there are more than ever before. This 5 game nonsense isn't working and it is time for a more serious change in the punishment, before another players career is ended (Savard) or worse.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
retribution type of punishments will never happen in the NHL. Even if they did, you'd have to have an NHL staff evaluate the injury, and determine the return date. Otherwise Game 1 of the SCF some diving flopper gets a tap to the head by a Daniel Sedin… and bam he hits the ice and doesn't return for the series.
I have no problem with NHL staff evaluating players who are victims of blind side hits or head shots to determine if punishment is warranted and how severe. This problem is not going away. Something needs to change and soon, every night 1-2 players are getting boarded or an elbow to the head, players have no respect for one another.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
What a laughable group of fans. I mean, really. The guy plastered McDonagh into the boards from behind. He had all the time in the world to pull up. And these so-called hockey fans think that it wasn't that bad? Give me a break. Anyone who has ever laced them up knows that that hit was completely reckless and Ference showed ZERO respect to his fellow player's health and well being when he threw it. To sit there and whine that it should have been two minutes is mildly disturbing at best.

For fans of an Original Six team in a big time hockey area to think that that hit did not deserve the penalty it received is disgraceful.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
#bruins Andrew Ference suspendu 3 matchs. 3 games suspension
https://twitter.com/#!/renhockey/sta...69020626796544

Old
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Cmox

Rb got it in first!

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:35 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
I would have preferred 5, but I am OK with 3.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Bruins fans are idiots. That's what happens when you rally around their teams goonery and call them "tough" and "gritty." They think it's alright to pull **** like that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote