HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How to fix the Habs' Power Play

Old
01-22-2012, 01:46 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

vCash: 500
How to fix the Habs' Power Play

I am starting to think it's less who we play on the PP but how we play on the PP. My instructions if I were in charge of the PP:

1) Carry the puck into the offensive zone (no dump-ins).
2) Someone always in front of the net.
3) Work on relays and one-timers.
4) Maximum three passes before taking a shot.

Comments?

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
shutehinside

I know the easist way to fix the PP. Get PK, Diaz, Campoli, Emelin and Weber to shoot at the net from the point as hard as they can until they start being able to hit the net on a consistent basis. Then put plex on the right side half board and Kaberle on the left point side and have him set up one timers from the right side to whomever hits the net hardest and most regularly. Repeat as necessary.

It's allowed us to be top 5 in PP for years. It's a winning formula so they should get back to it.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Easier said than done.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
AntonCH

Bring back Muller?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I am starting to think it's less who we play on the PP but how we play on the PP. My instructions if I were in charge of the PP:

1) Carry the puck into the offensive zone (no dump-ins).
2) Someone always in front of the net.
3) Work on relays and one-timers.
4) Maximum three passes before taking a shot.

Comments?
First reaction: no one (Diaz, Weber and Subban... I am looking at you!) in Habs land can, from the point, hit the net with regularity. Finding the seams is a lost art in Habs land. Right now I think it is our biggest PP problem.

I would be willing to try Emelin on the point: offensively, he did provide a good contribution a year ago in the KHL and a few years ago during the WJC.

PS Habs are ok regarding your points 1 and 2 imo; though from a one timer perspective... we suck!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Habs Junkie

Less Desharnais please

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I dont like the fact that the habs only use the right side. Part of this is due to the opposition flushing them to one side of the ice, but they have no threat from the left half boards. It cuts the space on the ice dramatically.

But they really need a guy from the point who can get the puck on net with authority. I thought subban would be that guy but he's either rushing his shots or hitting bodies.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Less Desharnais please
Desharnais has been, alongside Cole, Gorges, Price, Pacioretty and Plekanec, one of our MVP thus far in 2011-12.

You need to pay more attention imo.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Lions999

Change up some of the players, its always the same guys,there not getting the Job done. Try guys like Bourque Eller AK and even Moen in front the net. We must try Emelin at the Point he was the teams QB in the KHL. He plays a little like Markov on the PP, he likes to pinch in like Markov did, he very good at making passes to the open man on the other side of the ice.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Change up some of the players, its always the same guys,there not getting the Job done. Try guys like Bourque Eller AK and even Moen in front the net. We must try Emelin at the Point he was the teams QB in the KHL. He plays a little like Markov on the PP, he likes to pinch in like Markov did, he very good at making passes to the open man on the other side of the ice.
This is what I was thinking also, these guys deserve a crack also...but at the end of the day, get it back to the point, hit the net and go for the rebounds...keep it simple...

Would love to Emelin get a true chance on the PP with Kabs...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Glen Healy said that they need darche infront of the net... a role he has had for "years"

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Good thread. None of that is as important as cycling. They are the worst team at cycling. EVER. They either don't move and just try to tic-tac-toe it and they're not even good at that OR they start moving in an attempt to cycle but end up miscommunicating and losing the puck.

It's weird, but I really think they need to go over the basics of hockey. Like holding the line, crossing the blue line, cycling, d-zone coverage. Bantam stuff at best

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Desharnais has been, alongside Cole, Gorges, Price, Pacioretty and Plekanec, one of our MVP thus far in 2011-12.

You need to pay more attention imo.
Desharnais has the most ice time as a center for the Canadiens on the power play this season. Plecanek doesn't count because he's played half of the season on the point.
I think you are the one that needs to pay more attention, more attention to other teams. Watch Pittsburgh or Chicago's power play. Look at their centers and then look at ours.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Good thread. None of that is as important as cycling. They are the worst team at cycling. EVER. They either don't move and just try to tic-tac-toe it and they're not even good at that OR they start moving in an attempt to cycle but end up miscommunicating and losing the puck.

It's weird, but I really think they need to go over the basics of hockey. Like holding the line, crossing the blue line, cycling, d-zone coverage. Bantam stuff at best
It's impossible to cycle if your center on the ice is 5'6". Further proof to my point. Less Desharnais please.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

1- Get Markov back on skates
2- Get a left-handed bomb shooter for the one-timer
3- Profit

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
It's impossible to cycle if your center on the ice is 5'6". Further proof to my point. Less Desharnais please.
Tell that to Martin St Louis and Giroux No it has nothing to do with that.

Old
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Desharnais has the most ice time as a center for the Canadiens on the power play this season. Plecanek doesn't count because he's played half of the season on the point.
I think you are the one that needs to pay more attention, more attention to other teams. Watch Pittsburgh or Chicago's power play. Look at their centers and then look at ours.
Habs Junkie, we are on the verge of derailing the thread here but I need your feedback on the following: thus far in 2011-12, Cole, Gorges, Price, Pacioretty, Plekanec and Desharnais are the only names worth mentioning in a MTL's MVP listing – agree/disagree Habs Junkie?

(Edit:

Quote:
Desharnais wins most of his puck battles alongside the boards: think of Gionta.)

----------

Again, from my point of view, our biggest PP problem is the failure to hit the net with regularity (finding the seams à la Bergeron) from the point. If Subban, Weber and Diaz (Kaberle is a set up man – a very good one I might add) can't step it up a notch, I would be willing to take a look at Emelin. As I mentioned earlier, he did provide a solid contribution, offensively, last year in the KHL and a few years ago during the WJC.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-22-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 02:41 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
... Giroux is 5'11.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
... Giroux is 5'11.
And plays like he's 5'9". Cycling has nothing to do with size. Cycling is a technique that is learned in the early stages of hockey. And our boys need to brush up on it.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:44 PM
NewHabsEra*

there is no magic solutions, we lack pure skills up front... You need some soft hands on the PP, guys with top ends skills, we have none.. On D, we need a quarterback, someone who can pass and shot the puck.. Subban will be good but his shot needs refinement..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
... Giroux is 5'11.
Quote:
And plays like he's 5'9". Cycling has nothing to do with size. Cycling is a technique that is learned in the early stages of hockey. And our boys need to brush up on it.
Did you just compare Desharnais to St. Louis? Lollll
And then you say Giroux is a comparable as well. Hey Sidney Crosby is 5'11" let's compare him to Desharnais too! They're only about half a foot appart :-)

Old
01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
And then you say Giroux is a comparable as well. Hey Sidney Crosby is 5'11" let's compare him to Desharnais too! They're only about half a foot appart :-)
You skipped http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=17

I would be interested to read your reply.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:01 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Stop being a **** and changing the subject. Your argument is that because you're small you can't cycle and I said that's not true and I gave examples. I'm done with you.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I know the easist way to fix the PP. Get PK, Diaz, Campoli, Emelin and Weber to shoot at the net from the point as hard as they can until they start being able to hit the net on a consistent basis. Then put plex on the right side half board and Kaberle on the left point side and have him set up one timers from the right side to whomever hits the net hardest and most regularly. Repeat as necessary.

It's allowed us to be top 5 in PP for years. It's a winning formula so they should get back to it.
Or get them to shoot at the heads of opposing players, so they can get them to move out of the way, and thus, stop hitting shinpads like they do now. Alternatively, use the Dmen as decoy only, and use only the forwards.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Habit11

One thing that would help that resulted in a few goals last season, was setting up Max on the goal line to the goalies' left, and having him try and stuff it. He scored a few goals like that last season on the PP, and the threat of that would help open up the slot and the points.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote