HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

How far is this team away from success?

Old
01-22-2012, 12:43 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Not far away as people think.

The team has done a good job at gathering prospects.

Our Defense, when healthy, is a good Defense.

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
Leino-XXXX-XXXX
Gerbe-Adam-Kassian
Foligno-XXXX-Kaleta
Ellis

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Regehr-XXXXX

Miller
Enroth

So, if we can flip the following assets:

Hecht
Gaustad
Roy
Ennis
Leopold
Gragnani
Weber

Into:

Two centerman (one top line) and a D-man....we're not in bad shape.
A young physical bottom pairing d-man to play with Regher

We're not bad heading into UFA season.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I honestly think a lot of this has come from injuries.

If guys were healthy, there at least a fringe playoff team instead of being bottom feeders, regardless of the coach.

That being said, a move for a top 6 center and a shuffling of personnel and there once again, at the very least, a playoff team
Most don't care if they're just a playoff team. What does being a playoff team matter if you are repeatedly knocked out in the first round?

As far as injuries: It has been well-established that the key players---you know, the ones who are supposed to be doing the scoring---are almost ALL having thier worst season ever. The AHL'ers have NOT been the screw-ups. There goes the injury excuse up-in-smoke once again.

If "injuries" have hurt this team at all, it's in that it masks the real problems and delays the solution.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Whatever happened to ennis being a center? Didn't we draft him as one? I know he's not the best defensively right now but it's a lot easier to develop defence than offense do could we see him at center in a year or two?

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Most don't care if they're just a playoff team. What does being a playoff team matter if you are repeatedly knocked out in the first round?

As far as injuries: It has been well-established that the key players---you know, the ones who are supposed to be doing the scoring---are almost ALL having thier worst season ever. The AHL'ers have NOT been the screw-ups. There goes the injury excuse up-in-smoke once again.

If "injuries" have hurt this team at all, it's in that it masks the real problems and delays the solution.
The problems with the injuries is that there really hasnt been a chance for the team to generate any chemistry, regardless of whos been injured.

And add to it that its very unlikely some of these guys having career worst years do it again.

all they have to do is get in the playoffs and anything can happen. there only a couple pieces from that

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
all they have to do is get in the playoffs and anything can happen. there only a couple pieces from that
Not really. This isn't baseball, where only the elite teams make the playoffs and any of those eight clubs can win it all. In hockey, if you get into the postseason as a seventh or eighth seed, you're a fairly mediocre team whose playoff shelf life is going to be pretty short, barring a miracle. Even if you luck into a long run, you're not winning the Cup as a low seed.

Just making the playoffs was good enough during the Golisano regime. That can't be the standard anymore, not after all of Pegula's Stanley Cup bluster.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Not far away as people think.

The team has done a good job at gathering prospects.

Our Defense, when healthy, is a good Defense.

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
Leino-XXXX-XXXX
Gerbe-Adam-Kassian
Foligno-XXXX-Kaleta
Ellis

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Regehr-XXXXX

Miller
Enroth

So, if we can flip the following assets:

Hecht
Gaustad
Roy
Ennis
Leopold
Gragnani
Weber

Into:

Two centerman (one top line) and a D-man....we're not in bad shape.
A young physical bottom pairing d-man to play with Regher

We're not bad heading into UFA season.
: laugh:

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

http://bleacherrepor.com/articles/99...summer/page/27

No number one centers available after this seasons over to fill the void at center. Going to have to trade for one, or get lucky in the draft this year and get a top 10 prospect who can go right to the NHL.

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
A stanley cup contender? 2-3 years. I Think we'll be in the playoffs next year. We have good assets to trade. We also have a good prospect pool. The defense is young, so they should improve.

Were not that far off.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
When does your opinion of that route change?

the roster is a major issue. and the dumping of assets for picks won't change that in the short term.

attempting to "fix it", even with a new coach, could end up setting this franchise back even further.

Pegula should prefer a rebuild too... IMO. Instead of trying to make the mistakes of the last 5 years, under previous ownership, work.
The bolded point scares me. I don't want Pegula's preference to matter. I want him to bring in great hockey people, explain the mission, tell them money is no object and go watch his daughter play tennis.

You're trying to build Hockey Heaven for executives too, and already we've been treated to the optic of Terry sitting in the press box next to the GM. I wonder how that plays around the world of hockey...

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

could be next year, could be another 10. when I look at this team today, I have to say it's closer to ten.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:00 PM
NoClue4u

I might be overly optimistic, but I think we need just a few smart changes:
-A change of coach/ coaching staff (and Darcy can leave too if he doesn't want to get rid of Ruff)
-Get rid of some of the dead weight on this team. This is probably the hardest part. Who exactly is the dead weight and can we get decent return for them? Those two questions are key. Most fans seem pretty convinced that we need to move at least Roy, and probably Stafford. However, we need to get something back that we can build on, so decent prospects or picks would be good.
-Finally, draft well and develop prospects. This is another concern for me, because I'm not sure I want Ruff to be part of developing our prospects.

In my mind, we are about two seasons away. In that time I would like to see a change of culture in this team. Also, more centers.

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote