HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Geno/Minus: Pittsburgh Geno's vs. Caps

Old
01-22-2012, 02:17 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Geno/Minus: Pittsburgh Geno's vs. Caps

Genos:

+ Evgeni Malkin: I have no more words to describe the level #71 is playing at. I can feel the heart/passion through my television. I cannot get enough of it.

+ Neal: We needed some big time goals and Neal got it done tonight. He has a laser and his release was very quick today. The Neal/Geno combo was killing the Caps all night long.

+ Powerplay: Our powerplay actually gained us momentum throughout the game. That's something we've needed on special teams for awhile. We could have had 2 more goals if it wasn't for Sully.

+ Letang: I still love everything #58 is giving us. He's strong in the corners and is helping our transition game immensely. It wasn't his best game, but still deserves a plus.

+ TK: First time this season TK gets on the + board. He was forechecking/backchecking with passion.

Minus

- Transition defense: We are running around and do not know who to cover. It's continuously a problem for our team as we have no understanding of where to go or whom to cover. Simplify it, coach. Everyone take a man and go.

- Sully: Please cut him. He's worthless to the team and causes more problems than creates.

- One line: We are a one line team right now and coach keeps believing Park/Sully/Cooke can get it done as the L2. They aren't good are causing more problems with matchups.

- Michalek/Martin: M&M was not working today. They had a lot of turnovers and looked shaky against the Caps top line. That's a top line that has struggled to score goals, too. Even if they weren't against the top line, they still were killing our momentum/transition game.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
fragmag

Love the never give up attitude of this team right now. 3 goals scored against us? No problemo, we'll score 2 more.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

I think you summed it up pritty well, Cole.

I'd like to give a plus to Dupuis as well, he was a terror all night. I'd love to see him get back on the scoreboard though.
I thought Nisky was rather solid as well, he needs to grow into his big defense boy shoes abit more though, but i like what he brings.

Minus though to D for leaving MAF out to dry on the goals.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

i really hate to have to bring it up

How does Martin get a minus? Seriously?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Pancakes

Letang scoring goals in the past two games is huge. We were getting zero goals from our defense before he got back into the lineup. That kind of secondary scoring cannot be overstated. We need Letang to chip in, and he is.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Some pretty obvious +'s

Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang, MAF - Don;t really need to explain
Duper and Adams for some amazing shot blocking
Tangradi and Jeffery both also had good games
Checking line that was in OVs face all night, despite the two odd man rushed he converted on.

Some pretty obvious -'s
Z for leaving Laich wide open in front for the 1st goal. There was no reason to leave him there
Sully is a ****ing disgrace. Has an amazing opportunity to shoot and goes for the cute pass that ends up in an odman russ w/ OV and Semin
Orpik pinching on the OV goal. WTF was he thinking? he just let Semin walk in and set up OV for the onetimer

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Going to OT? It's ok guys, hold on just a sec.

Boom, goal, win. The guy is unreal on the ice.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

+'s, Geno, Neal, Tanger, Niskanen

-'s, Sully and Z

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

+++Geno & Neal: If DB splits those two up, the Vancouver riots will look like a birthday party.

+ Tanger: Played his ass off tonight and was flying out there.

- Sullivan: It seems he can't do anything right when he has the puck. His shot is a joke, so is his passing.

- Tangradi: Sorry, but if you want more minutes you have to earn it. Taking a dumb penalty and missing some high quality scoring chances are not helping.

- Michalek, he was off his game today. Probably has a concussion from the Ovi hit.

- Refs: I ****ing hate it, when they have to correct a mistake by making another mistake. Get it right the first time.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post

I'm not some Martin hater. We all know that. He played a very poor game. He turned the puck over a few times late (especially). Michalek and Martin just weren't good. Or we can talk about the time on the PK where Knuble just blew right by him?

Come on, now. I know the haters on Martin are annoying, but we cannot defend him every game.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Genos:

+ Evgeni Malkin: I have no more words to describe the level #71 is playing at. I can feel the heart/passion through my television. I cannot get enough of it.
+ ColePens: For renaming "Plus" to "Geno"

And the reason we can't get enough is because this is what the best player in hockey looks like. The points may have been the same but he did things out there Ovechkin couldn't do if he tried. That sequence on Neal's second goal was ****ing unbelievable.

Also I just want to say to anyone who thinks "Geno is good enough to do this all the time, even with guys like Dupuis and Kennedy on his wing and he's underperforming if he doesn't." You're freakin nuts.

Having a true goal scorer on his wing (and this is true of Backstrom or anyone else) gives him that little extra bit SPACE to do things that you can't get when your wingers are Speedy Grinder A and Speedy Grinder B, because the D does not have to respect those guys most of the time and can focus in on the C the whole time.

Every C we consider to be great in this league, had or has a very skilled winger on his line to complete the equation. We are now seeing what is possible. Sure we grinded out a Cup in 2009 without a Neal, but I tell you what: it's a helluva lot easier to win one WITH a guy like that on your top 2 lines than without. For every Sullivan / Sykora / Old Guy / Kennedy / Asham we can replace with a guy like Neal (even Kunitz showed today why he's better than Kennedy and will always be better than Kennedy), the easier time of it we'll have. I might be able to to fix my exhaust pipe with duct tape long enough to make the drive home, but that doesn't make it a good idea for the long haul.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
66-29-33

Last game Caps won their first game ALL SEASON when Ovechkin does not get a point, they still only have 1 win. Today, Ovechkin gets his FIRST 3 point game all season. Only Pens are that special.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'm not some Martin hater. We all know that. He played a very poor game. He turned the puck over a few times late (especially). Michalek and Martin just weren't good. Or we can talk about the time on the PK where Knuble just blew right by him?

Come on, now. I know the haters on Martin are annoying, but we cannot defend him every game.
I'm not saying he was great. I'd give him an even. He had a lot of very good plays. He didn't cost us a single goal and he played a big part in scoring the game winner

Old
01-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Are you kidding? That easy non clear late in the third is becoming way to common.

+ Love how close Neal and Malkin have been playing. It makes for some great give and goes between them and today Neal was the high man with Malkin passing back to him for the pistol shot.

+ Limited time but I thought 'gradi had a good game. Very involved and going to the net after making plays.

+ Dupes... very active, hard on the puck and alway full steam ahead.

- Martin and Zib now a -12 on the year. I don't hate them and I know they can play better but I really, REALLY dispise thier play this year. Thats about the best way I can put it.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Genos:

+ Neal: We needed some big time goals and Neal got it done tonight. He has a laser and his release was very quick today. The Neal/Geno combo was killing the Caps all night long.

+ Powerplay: Our powerplay actually gained us momentum throughout the game. That's something we've needed on special teams for awhile. We could have had 2 more goals if it wasn't for Sully.

+ Letang: I still love everything #58 is giving us. He's strong in the corners and is helping our transition game immensely. It wasn't his best game, but still deserves a plus.

+ TK: First time this season TK gets on the + board. He was forechecking/backchecking with passion.

Minus

- Transition defense: We are running around and do not know who to cover. It's continuously a problem for our team as we have no understanding of where to go or whom to cover. Simplify it, coach. Everyone take a man and go.

- Sully: Please cut him. He's worthless to the team and causes more problems than creates.

- One line: We are a one line team right now and coach keeps believing Park/Sully/Cooke can get it done as the L2. They aren't good are causing more problems with matchups.

- Michalek/Martin: M&M was not working today. They had a lot of turnovers and looked shaky against the Caps top line. That's a top line that has struggled to score goals, too. Even if they weren't against the top line, they still were killing our momentum/transition game.
1. I'm at the point where I don't think Bylsma can do much in terms of the matchups. As you said, where a one line team. Maybe, instead of chasing the matchups at home, he should just say '**** it, Kunitz-Geno-Neal is better than anything you got' and make the priority getting that line out as much as possible. I write that because the second period was one in which the top line, due to all the penalties and Bylsma chasing matchups, got relatively little ES TOI.

2. Agree on Sully . . . he's the other team's most effective penalty killer right now.

3. Really liking what Dustin Jeffrey brought to the table again. It will get lost in the shuffle, but he's been playing some really good, really smart hockey.

4. Thank God Paul Martin is so great with that stick on puck and savvy defensive plays thing, because otherwise I might have noticed his slow outlet passes, his **** play with the puck that led to the Neal penalty, and his even ******** 5 on 5 pinches. That said, Michalek wasn't much better today, as you appropriately noted.

5. James Neal should fire his agent and hire Geno, because Geno probably deserves a good 30% of that 5M+ per Neal is going to get on his next deal.

6. Kris Letang = top 5 defenseman in the league . . . nothing needs to be said here.

7. Geno = Hart . . . it's 3-2, the life is sucked out of the arena, someone needs to step up and save the day . . . enter Geno, again. If that's not the definition of a MVP, then I don't know what is.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post

4. Thank God Paul Martin is so great with that stick on puck and savvy defensive plays thing, because otherwise I might have noticed his slow outlet passes, his **** play with the puck that led to the Neal penalty, and his even ******** 5 on 5 pinches. That said, Michalek wasn't much better today, as you appropriately noted.
I was a fan of his pinch on the game winner.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
KIRK

Quote:

You mean aside from the ungodly turnover where he's on the boards, nobody is on him, Geno is streaking up ice for a quick, sharp outlet from the gap that's there for Martin to make that pass and Martin instead pretty much passes a softy up the boards to a Cap that initiated the sequence that led moments later to the Neal penalty and of course aside from letting slow Mike Knuble come in clean on a breakaway and then the typical telegraphed, slow to come outlet passes and the inexplicable 5 on 5 pinches, I suppose?

Old
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Genos:

Minus

I have only 2 disagreements with this.

1) I think Jeffrey's line is clearly the L2 right now
2) Their IN zone coverage, in terms of when the opposing team is trying to establish a cycle is fine. They're getting the puck out pretty quick

It's the ****ing nonsense on rushes that are driving me nuts. Orpik try to stop someone up on a 3 on 2, and Z doing the same thing on the Semin goal.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I have only 2 disagreements with this.

1) I think Jeffrey's line is clearly the L2 right now
2) Their IN zone coverage, in terms of when the opposing team is trying to establish a cycle is fine. They're getting the puck out pretty quick

It's the ****ing nonsense on rushes that are driving me nuts. Orpik try to stop someone up on a 3 on 2, and Z doing the same thing on the Semin goal.
Yep . . . also Z stepping slightly away from Laich when he had him was about as inexplicable.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:36 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

Posted this in poll thread, decided to move here.

The Greats
+ Malkin (No explanation needed)
+ Neal (Beast, enough said)
+ Letang
+ Orpik for the physicality on Ovenchicken

Solid games
= Fleury
= Martin
= Jeffrey

Ugh
- Sullivan
- Michalek
- Tangradi

What can I say that hasn't already been said?? Malkin is a stud, Neal is a stud, Letang a stud.

Fleury hasn't looked too sharp the past 2 games, but I wouldn't say he's been a liability, and I think his lack of complete sharpness is due to being somewhat overused.

Martin gets a solid from me because he did have the deflection at the end.
Sullivan is about to make me turn grey before I'm 23.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I was a fan of his pinch on the game winner.
That's 4 on 4. 4 on 4 play is different than 5 on 5. 4 on 4, the defense is playing man, which is why you've got a lot of natural rotating of forwards up and defensemen down. I specifically mentioned Martin's 5 on 5 pinches, which were in more instances than not only more poorly executed than they were poorly timed.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
love the never give up attitude of this team right now. 3 goals scored against us? no prob-geno, we'll score 2 more.
ftfy

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:39 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I disagree with you KIRK about his 5 on 5 pinches. They are awesome. They just need a winger to realize it and step back. His pinches leave him wide open and it's part of the system.

Old
Pancakes

Gotta say I never expected Neal to be quite this good too. He's going to flirt with 40 goals. That's amazing.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Letang scoring goals in the past two games is huge. We were getting zero goals from our defense before he got back into the lineup. That kind of secondary scoring cannot be overstated. We need Letang to chip in, and he is.
Even if Letang weren't scoring, it's the other things offensively that are even more important. The quick, accurate outlet passes, coming with the puck through the neutral zone, the timing and execution of the pinches . . . basically, everything some of us complain that Martin is messing up (the big reasons Martin supposedly was signed for 5M per), Letang is doing at the highest level.