HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Curse of St-Patrick

Old
01-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Patrick Roy is a winner, and he'd be welcome back in this team at any moment.

Serge Savard on Roy-

Its time to right our wrongs.
I don't think hiring Mr. Hothead is the way to do that. I think it's going to make a bad situation worse.

If he comes here I will hope and pray for the best but I will expect the worst. He's not the right guy in my opinion and I don't want anything to do with him unless he wants to put back on the pads and go play in goal.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
So if it's the same as baseball, let a team in the East hire him and the Habs will beat that team in the first round of the playoffs despite being down 0-3 in the series. Easy pickings after that, followed by a Stanley Cup victory.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't think hiring Mr. Hothead is the way to do that. I think it's going to make a bad situation worse.

If he comes here I will hope and pray for the best but I will expect the worst. He's not the right guy in my opinion and I don't want anything to do with him unless he wants to put back on the pads and go play in goal.
Why?

Since 2005, Patrick Roy has been thriving as the GM and coach of the Québec Remparts in the Q.

The guy simply does not accept defeat and frankly, I am fed up with all the lukewarm former Sens!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
So if it's the same as baseball, let a team in the East hire him and the Habs will beat that team in the first round of the playoffs despite being down 0-3 in the series. Easy pickings after that, followed by a Stanley Cup victory.
In baseball, the Red Sox came back from 0-3 against the Yankees, Babe Ruth was obviously long gone from that team, he died in 1948. We'd have to come back from a 0-3 deficit against the team he was traded to, thus the Avalanche. Not going to happen. We need to then try another way- and that way is to address our mistake, and right our wrong while we still can.

I fully expect him to come back to us for the beginning of next season.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:48 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Why?

Since 2005, Patrick Roy has been thriving as the GM and coach of the Québec Remparts in the Q.

The guy simply does not accept defeat and frankly, I am fed up with all the lukewarm former Sens!
Only difference is that Roy is coaching a bunch of kids that want to make the show, so he can get away with a lot more than his act would allow in the bigs.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Only difference is that Roy is coaching a bunch of kids that want to make the show, so he can get away with a lot more than his act would allow in the bigs.
I hear ya: Roy still needs to work on his temper (I share your concern)... but winning does warrant some room for manoeuvre/tolerance - think of Tortorella.

And frankly, I can't see guys like Plekanec, Price, Subban, Leblanc, Cole, Eller, Pacioretty, Darche, Gionta, Bournival, Gorges, Desharnais, Moen, Gill, Emelin, Saint-Denis, White, Kostitsyn, Dumont, Shultz... melting away, pouting, heads down, if Roy dares to blast them. I think those guys would accept a lot if the team was winning.

On the other hand, guys like Grabovski, Cammalleri, Sergei Kostitsyn...

From my point of view (1) since 2005, Patrick Roy has been thriving as the GM and coach of the Québec Remparts in the Q, (2) the guy hates defeat and (3) I am so fed up with all the former, lukewarm Sens!

Time has come to reconnect with OUR history; give this team back to Montreal.

Old
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
I'll only agree to P.Roy coaching this team if P.Mcguire becomes the GM at the same time. This way in one fell swoop we can get both horrible ideas out of the way and move on from there!!

I'm with this guy!

Vincent Damphousse as Asst GM while we're at it!

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:18 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Similar to the "Curse of the Bambino,", when Babe Ruth was sold because ownership needed money, I fear the Canadiens may have succumbed to the Curse of Patrick Roy.

Over the years, since that dreadful day in the 95'-96' season, we've had some of the the most infamous stories of defeat, collapse... near misses.

From the dark years... 98'-99'-00', the first times the storied Montreal Canadiens missed the playoffs, first time in 59 years. Then they missed it for a second consecutive season, first time since 1922. They then went on to miss them 3 times in a row. Only happened 2 times in their 100 years of existence. All this is only the beginning.

Saku Koivu, the heart and soul of the Canadiens at that time, diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

All-star vezina winning trophy goalie, comes to camp out of shape, later traded.

Lock out.

Saku Koivu's eye when up 3-0 in playoff series.

Maple leafs keep us out of the playoffs.

Markov's knee.

Pacioretty stanchion.

Wholesale of the team, completely renovated. Clean up. People are once again hopeful... and now, that hope is lost.

There's only one solution my HF friends, and its simple. We need to bring back the passion that Patrick Roy brought, and once again have the hockey Gods on our side.

Reverse the curse.
I find this a little bit childish. There is NO curse. Everyone knows it. This team has been poorly managed for decades. That's why they suck today. Simple explaination.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Yeah, I tend to agree. Its even more important in a market like montreal where emotions can get the best of you.... heck, Roy already failed that test.

I want my management to analyze situations analytically and not react to emotionally.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Just Google'd some articles on Patrick leaving, found this gem.

Quote:
Michael Dalton, Calgary, Alberta
"The day the Habs died. I'll never forget the day the Montreal Canadiens traded the greatest goaltender of all time, Patrick Roy, to the Colorado Avalanche, all to appease an ignorant coach's ego. A coach who never had any business behind the Habs bench in the first place. Since the trade, the Avs have been consistent playoff threats and the Habs have been playoff jokes or no-shows. Much as the Curse of the Bambino is still a source of frustration for Boston, this trade will one day be called the Curse of St. Patrick."

Well played, Michael Dalton. I agree.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
AntonCH

The only real curse mentioned here is the Cubs.
Guy wasn't let in with his goat and cursed the team.
The rest of the curses were made up by the press

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I find this a little bit childish. There is NO curse. Everyone knows it. This team has been poorly managed for decades. That's why they suck today. Simple explaination.
I would not go that far. But...

It started under Serge Savard with his Desjardins-Leclair trade to Philly...

And really became officially bad when Ronald Corey - the one who is the MOST responsible for the mess - decided to fire Savard and Demers and replace them with totally incompetent personnel: Houle and Tremblay. The rest is History.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I laughed. I would want him back at one job or another. I still think he'll hold out til the Nordiques are back.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I laughed. I would want him back at one job or another. I still think he'll hold out til the Nordiques are back.
Or he will go back to Colorado.

I am pretty sure it is his last season with the Quebec Remparts as a coach. he might wait as the Remparts' GM if he sees that The Nordiques are around the corner.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
The only curse we've had is bad management. I strongly suspect that hiring Roy will only prolong that curse.
You must have a great mind because we think alike. I was gonna say the exact same thing...

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Or he will go back to Colorado.

I am pretty sure it is his last season with the Quebec Remparts as a coach. he might wait as the Remparts' GM if he sees that The Nordiques are around the corner.
«Je n'ai pas été contacté par l'organisation du Canadien. Mais si, un jour, j'étais approché, c'est le genre de discussion que j'aimerais garder privée de toute façon. [...] En même temps, est-ce que c'est quelque chose qui va arriver? Je n'ai pas le contrôle là-dessus. Ce n'est pas moi qui vais mettre de la pression sur l'organisation du Canadien

"I was not contacted by the Canadiens organization. If they approach me, I would keep the conversation private. I have no control on this; I won't put pressure on the Canadiens organization."

Ref.: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...-une-offre.php

Imo if the Canadiens offer him the coaching job, he would accept it. Roy is a Habs... and Québec, with its 100% public founded arena (Labeaume LOVES public founds), is still years away from the NHL.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-22-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Is Montreal’s longest Stanley Cup drought in franchise history somehow inextricably linked to the fateful events of December of ’95? Sports writers Jack Todd and Michael Farber, along with a contingent of Habs faithful, have aptly suggested the presence of a curse—The Curse of St-Patrick—in response to the correlation. Remember that Roy’s Stanley Cup with the Avalanche in 1996 came in their first season in Colorado after being relocated from Quebec City. The comparison is bound to be drawn then to another legendary sports curse—The Curse of the Bambino. Like the trade that saw the Red Sox send Babe Ruth to the rival Yankees, the trade that saw the Habs send Roy to the rival Nordiques, via Colorado, has resulted in years of relative futility for the offending team.

Talk of a curse is more tongue-in-cheek than true belief, though there is some compelling evidence in support of its authenticity. In 12 seasons since “Le Trade”, Montreal has missed the post-season 5 times, including 3 years in a row from 1998-99 to 2000-01 to match their longest non-playoff streak in franchise history. In those 12 years, the Canadiens disposed of no less than 7 starting goaltenders, none of which held the job for a duration of 5 years. By comparison, Roy played 7 seasons as Colorado’s starter, appeared in 5 All-Star games, won 7 division titles, reached the Western Conference Finals 6 times and won 2 Stanley Cup Championships.

Roy hoisted his 4th and final Stanley Cup in the 2000-01 season, missed almost in its entirety by Koivu after being diagnosed with cancer, while the freak and career-threatening eye injury suffered by Koivu in the playoffs of 2006 occurred just prior to Roy’s induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

************.blogspot.com/2008/09/curse-of-st-patrick.html
Lets hope this summer we right our wrong.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Why?

It's one thing to not accept to defeat, it's another to have a meltdown because of it.

I'm sorry but we've seen firsthand what kind of damage he can do. What happens if his GM disagrees with something he does? Is he going to run to the cameras and say... "I'm never coaching for Montreal again!"...

Seriously man, the guy isn't known for his composure and I don't want him anywhere near our players.
Quote:
Just Google'd some articles on Patrick leaving, found this gem.

Well played, Michael Dalton. I agree.
Except his coach's wishes weren't the sole reason. Roy had a hissy fit and freaked out by quitting on his team. Sorry but that's how it is.

Yes, I think management were stupid not to cool things down and let cooler heads prevail. Yes, I think Tremblay was an idiot and the fans even worse for the way they treated him that night. Still, it was Roy who decided to handle things the way he did.

He's had problems with his wife, he's had problems with players, he's sent his son to go goon some kid who didn't want to fight and he's walked out on us with a hissy fit... no thanks. This guy is poison and we shouldn't want anything to do with him.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We shouldn't get fooled again. Let him coach somewhere else if he wants to.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 01-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
You should add Youppi, aka "the big orange puke", to your list of calamities!

------------

Patrick Roy really hates to lose.

Hell to lukewarm former Sens!
Hail to Passion!
Hail to our next coach!

So epic.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Royal_Arena

First game there: 14-7 win over the Leafs. It cannot go wrong!!!! Move the Habs back!

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:09 AM
HeyTony

How do we break the curse? Have Roy become the coach? Watch, first game as a coach, they play Detroit and win 11-1

HeyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTony View Post
How do we break the curse? Have Roy become the coach? Watch, first game as a coach, they play Detroit and win 11-1
Jimmy Howard then demands a trade, which sets the Wings back two decades.

Book it.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:16 AM
HeyTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Jimmy Howard then demands a trade, which sets the Wings back two decades.

Book it.
Reverse the curse!

HeyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
SouthernHab

Bob Gainey is the real curse.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Craig71

Markov was our version of Lidstrom. He is definitely cursed. Could we have saint Patrick touch Markovs knees.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote