HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If every goalie in the NHL had the same save percentage ...

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 08:38 AM
igor*

vCash: 500

Quite frankly, I don't really know what this means ... or how fair a stat SV% is ... it is a bit quirky in a lot of ways.

Still, every time I do this the standings look a bit more like I think they should be. And usually 'surprise' overachievers or underachievers move back to their rightful place in the standings (to my mind, anyways).

Anyhoo, here goes:

Western Conference Standings would look like this (Goal difference per game on the right):

VAN 1.4
COL 0.9
DET 0.7
EDM 0.7
L.A 0.7
DAL 0.5
STL 0.3
MIN -0.1
CGY -0.1

NSH -0.2
PHX -0.3
S.J -0.4
CBJ -0.5
ANA -0.9
CHI -1.1

And the Eastern Conference:

NYI 1.3
PHI 1.1
OTT 0.9
N.J 0.3
T.B 0.3
ATL 0.3
TOR 0.1
CAR 0.0
BUF -0.1

BOS -0.1
WSH -0.2
NYR -0.3
MTL -0.4
FLA -0.7
PIT -1.2

Any thoughts?

Old
11-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Oi'll say!

Teams that play better defensively will give up lower quality shots and less rebounds, therefor their goalies will face easier shots on the average and should have a higher sv %. JMO.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Mizral

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what exactly are you doing here? If every goaltenders Save % is the same, okay. But what are those numbers and what do they mean? How did you get them?

Old
11-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Forgive me for my ignorance, but what exactly are you doing here? If every goaltenders Save % is the same, okay. But what are those numbers and what do they mean? How did you get them?
Just a ferinstance, if every goalie had a .900 sv% you can figure out their gf and ga for the whole season just by multiplying

.9 * shots for/against.

It's basically just a comparison of shots for and against actually. The nux are outshooting their opposition on average.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:52 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
As stated; it is the goal difference per game.

For e.g.: If COL goaltenders had been stopping shots at a .909 save percentage (the league average) then they would have been outscoring the opposition by .9 goals per game so far this season.

i.e. COL would have scored nine more goals than they had surrendered after 10 games ... which would be the second best in the West. And they would expect to have the 2nd best record in the West.

Its that simple.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Just a ferinstance, if every goalie had a .900 sv% you can figure out their gf and ga for the whole season just by multiplying

.9 * shots for/against.

It's basically just a comparison of shots for and against actually. The nux are outshooting their opposition on average.
Ahh! I see. Yes it's actually quite interesting, but I'm not sure if it's applicable for anything. Other than the fact that the Canucks could really use Martin Brodeur

Old
11-08-2003, 08:54 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!

.9 * shots for/against.

Nope ... just looking at the 'shots against' for each team and correcting the 'goals against' for a .909 save percentage.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Nope ... just looking at the 'shots against' for each team and correcting the 'goals against' for a .909 save percentage.
Busted again, that's about five times in the last two days.

If I keep on posting I'll eventually be right though. Maybe I'll throw some more Comrie for Nagy posts into the mix.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Mizral

Alright, I've got it now. Thanks.

Closed Thread