HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 10:26 AM
G3 LesPaul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Alzner is a negative, while Neuvirth is a positive? What?
Nuevy has looked shaky but he has looked better as of late. The D in front of him sucks so I don't blame him

Old
01-22-2012, 10:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Nuevy has looked shaky but he has looked better as of late. The D in front of him sucks so I don't blame him
Neuvy has been nothing short of terrible for the most part this year. He has the 4th worst save percentage in the NHL this year, among qualifying goalies.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Neuvy has been nothing short of terrible for the most part this year. He has the 4th worst save percentage in the NHL this year, among qualifying goalies.
Out of the games he played, didn't he have like 2 awful games but has cracked down since?

Old
01-22-2012, 10:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Out of the games he played, didn't he have like 2 awful games but has cracked down since?
He's given up 4 GA in 4 of his 15 starts, along with another start where he was pulled after giving up 3 goals on 6 shots in the first period, a relief appearance where he gave up 4 goals in 2 periods, and another where he gave up 3 in a just under 2 periods.

So of his 18 appearances, he's been terrible in 7 of them.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Neuvirth has been terrible for most of the year. More recently, he has played well but not seen enough time to prove much. Alzner has been one of the few consistently good players on the team. Best defenseman they have without question.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

can Schultz play center?

Old
01-22-2012, 12:16 PM
G3 LesPaul

If defense hockey creates offense, then McPhee needs to get off his ********* A** and get some defense. If he doesn't make something soon, I am on board with firing him

Old
01-22-2012, 02:47 PM
hb11xchamps

Ok if the Caps do not make the playoffs and struggle hard with this group of players I would like to see McPhee grow some freaking balls and do a "mini rebuild" similar to the one Paul Holmgren had the balls to do. I'm not saying all of these deals need to happen but here is a list of ideas

If the Caps are out at the deadline here are players that could possibly fetch the Caps some good pieces:

Dennis Wideman

With his play this year his value is a lot higher than a 3rd and a crap prospect that we got him for. Wideman will be the best PMD at the deadline that could be available and a team that thinks they need a PMD as a final piece for Lord Stanley could cough up a good package (1st round pick or maybe a 2nd and a solid prospect). Plus Wideman will most likely walk in the offseason because his price tag will be pretty high

Alex Semin

His play has been better under Dale but Alex Semin will always be Alex Semin. A team needing scoring for the playoff run could offer a good package for him as a rental. Even though everyone always hates on him, his playoff numbers are good and he seems to elevate his game during the postseason. Look at the package the Pens traded for Hossa. Hossa is better than Semin but that could be a similar deal we get. The Caps would get something for him rather than letting him walk in the offseason and he could be replaced by a new free agent, a draft pick, and Kuznetsov.

Jeff Schultz

He does not fit this team's style of play and is way too expensive to be sitting on the bench every night. Get whatever we can for him and be glad with it. Maybe if we are lucky a 2nd round or 3rd round pick and a "B" prospect

In the Offseason/Draft:

Brooks Laich

He is playing right now as a very very expensive 3rd liner. I really don't know what his value would be but I think with his attitude and work ethic many teams would be interested. Plus Jarrett Stoll is a pretty similar player in free agency that could cost less if GMGM really wanted him.

Joel Ward

He has been the worst addition for his price tag but I doubt he gets traded since McPhee loves him

Old
01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Wideman is an All-star... could definitely fetch a first if we are sellers.

But i don't think we're sellers... yet.

Old
01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Jeff Carter is apparently being auctioned off.

I really just want a 30 goal scorer on this team, but the price is a bit steep for him in terms of his contract 6 million...

Old
01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Jeff Carter is apparently being auctioned off.

I really just want a 30 goal scorer on this team, but the price is a bit steep for him in terms of his contract 6 million...
Not sure I believe that. They paid a steep price for him in the offseason, they won't be giving him up for anything less than a package that clearly beats what they gave up. Not to mention, I doubt the franchise can survive another sell off.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Halpysback

Keep Carter the hell away from this team

Old
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps wont be sellers. Management couldn't sell it to the fans. It would mean no ticket price increases and cancellations of season tickets if they gave up.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:30 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Caps wont be sellers. Management couldn't sell it to the fans. It would mean no ticket price increases and cancellations of season tickets if they gave up.
I didnt say they were sellers. I said if they are not going to make the playoffs and are struggling. I would think that a team that doesn't make the playoffs would be worse than fresh faces. Plus I said a "mini rebuild" one similar to the flyers which has worked out great for them

Old
01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
IafrateOvie34

Joel Ward will get interest. If we can dump him off for salary dump, go for it.

Old
01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Joel Ward will get interest. If we can dump him off for salary dump, go for it.
That's why I put him on the list. He is overpaid and his salary could be used to throw money at secondary scoring/defense especially with a strong free agent class in 2 years

Old
01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Millhaus

The only way I see Ward, Laich, or anyone the Caps made more than a 1 year commitment to this offseason being dealt is if McPhee is not the one making the decision.

I have never understood why people think it is likely a guy a GM felt strongly enough about to sign to a 4 year deal is going to be dealt away by that same GM just a year or less into that deal. I understand that fans don't like a signing and want him dealt but to really think that is likely to happen is another thing.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The only way I see Ward, Laich, or anyone the Caps made more than a 1 year commitment to this offseason being dealt is if McPhee is not the one making the decision.

I have never understood why people think it is likely a guy a GM felt strongly enough about to sign to a 4 year deal is going to be dealt away by that same GM just a year or less into that deal. I understand that fans don't like a signing and want him dealt but to really think that is likely to happen is another thing.
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter say hello

Old
01-22-2012, 09:31 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
GMGM and Holmgren have dramatically different approaches, though, and even then you might argue the Philly moves were more ownership related than GM related. Ted isn't going to do that.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:40 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
GMGM and Holmgren have dramatically different approaches, though, and even then you might argue the Philly moves were more ownership related than GM related. Ted isn't going to do that.
Of course Ted won't because he knows nothing about hockey and is more worried on selling out every night. If he wanted to field a stanley cup winning team then McPhee would be canned

Old
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
I didnt say they were sellers. I said if they are not going to make the playoffs and are struggling.
...which is something that no competitive team knows with any certainty by the deadline. It would take a pretty incredible month for that to be the case.

I could maybe see them buying and selling but outright selling is a pretty remote possibility.

Old
01-22-2012, 09:48 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Of course Ted won't because he knows nothing about hockey and is more worried on selling out every night. If he wanted to field a stanley cup winning team then McPhee would be canned
You remember last time Ted made a decision about hockey? Ya, you probably weren't a fan then.

Ted is a good owner cause he lets hockey people do hockey business.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:53 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
You remember last time Ted made a decision about hockey? Ya, you probably weren't a fan then.

Ted is a good owner cause he lets hockey people do hockey business.
Then Ted better realize that McPhee has not done squat the past couple of years outside of his good drafting. He has overpaid for many free agents and has done some pretty questionable trades

Old
01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Holmgren is one of the most aggressive, if not the most aggressive, GMs in the NHL. It has worked both ways for the Flyers, with some moves working out very well and others biting them hard.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Then Ted better realize that McPhee has not done squat the past couple of years outside of his good drafting. He has overpaid for many free agents and has done some pretty questionable trades
What individual trade would you say was questionable? Corvo for a 2nd + two players currently in Europe? Arnott for a 2nd + player no longer on New Jersey? Hannan for a player no longer on Colorado? Chimera for a player cut from an AHL team in November and a defenseman he got back later in the season for free? Wideman for a 3rd + dead weight contract? A 4th and a prospect for Fehr (who currently has 1 goal and 1 assist on the season)?

I can see calling out his decisions of who to trade for or who to not trade for. But he's seemingly done a lot better than the other team in almost every single trade he's pulled off recently.

Closed Thread