HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good value skates

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
  #1
Sensfanman
Registered User
 
Sensfanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,181
vCash: 500
Good value skates

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my skates as the blades need replacing anyway and they are old skates anyway. Which do you all think are good value skates. Nearby stores are Pro Hockey Life, National Sports, Sports Check, Corbett's Sports. I play rec hockey once or twice a week, nothing heavy. My price point is sub 120 but I'd go as high as 150 for a super good deal.

Thanks in advance!

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
  #2
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my skates as the blades need replacing anyway and they are old skates anyway. Which do you all think are good value skates. Nearby stores are Pro Hockey Life, National Sports, Sports Check, Corbett's Sports. I play rec hockey once or twice a week, nothing heavy. My price point is sub 120 but I'd go as high as 150 for a super good deal.

Thanks in advance!
What size do you wear? If you wear 9's you're in luck. If you're willing to spend $250 you could get top of the line EQ5's. These skates were nearly $700 at one point but are on clearance for $250 at Sport Chek. They might have different sizes in store. If you're willing to spend that much that is. But remember, you're getting some of the best skates that some NHLers use and they'll last you many, many years. (I know Asham uses them).

If you're looking for something cheaper, Sport Chek is having a clearance on hockey skates at 40%-60%.

Easton EQ4 - $170
CCM U+ 07 - $120
Bauer Vapor X2.0 - $120

Apart from that, also consider looking at Vapor X:30's

In the end it's what you like best. But if you find you like the Bauer Vapor line, it's a good safe choice because they're great skates no matter what. Then it's a matter of finding one for your price range, whether it's the X20's, 30's, 40's, or even the treasured 60's.

But I still recommend taking a look at the EQ5's. I mean for that price they're an absolute steal and they'll last you virtually forever. Hopefully you can find a pair. I just started skating for the first time and I used those. People told me your feet are supposed to hurt but I only felt a slight discomfort, they're so comfortable, light, and durable. I know I'll be able to do a lot of stuff in them I just have to get good first.

PS. I know you think you shouldn't be taking equipment advice from someone who's a beginner, but I've done my due diligence. For the past two months I've done nothing but read and watch reviews and research products to understand as much as possible. So while I'm no expert, I'm not a total ignoramus either.

Good luck! (You filthy Sens fan Leafs Rule!)


Last edited by Aftcomet*: 01-20-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
  #3
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,474
vCash: 500
Your feet are NOT supposed to hurt, they're supposed to fit the boot. Spot pain on occasion does happen but shouldn't be expected or be a constant. Skates (and helmets, but that's another issue) are the most important piece of gear you'll have to own. You NEED NEED NEED (get the point) to find the best fitting skate for you. Forget everything you think you know about different brands and get the skate in your budget range that fits the best.

To answer your question, the best 'value' will be whichever skate fits your foot bests and lasts the longest. Generally the pricier you go the more durable it should be (like Aftcomet said) but fit is the most important. There is no value in buying an $850 skate or $60 skate if they don't fit and you're in pain when playing.

Go try on a few different pairs, let your fitter recommend some based on your foot shape and go from there.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
  #4
Aftcomet*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Your feet are NOT supposed to hurt, they're supposed to fit the boot. Spot pain on occasion does happen but shouldn't be expected or be a constant. Skates (and helmets, but that's another issue) are the most important piece of gear you'll have to own. You NEED NEED NEED (get the point) to find the best fitting skate for you. Forget everything you think you know about different brands and get the skate in your budget range that fits the best.

To answer your question, the best 'value' will be whichever skate fits your foot bests and lasts the longest. Generally the pricier you go the more durable it should be (like Aftcomet said) but fit is the most important. There is no value in buying an $850 skate or $60 skate if they don't fit and you're in pain when playing.

Go try on a few different pairs, let your fitter recommend some based on your foot shape and go from there.
Really? I was told your feet will hurt until you break in your skates a little.

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 11:59 PM
  #5
greyraven8
Registered User
 
greyraven8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
If looking to pay $120 or less you, unless you can find a good deal online or otherwise on a pair that is the same size and brand you currently use (or ones you can try on to make sure they fit) you are probably better off getting a mid-level used pair.

Not sure what you have there, but my Play-it-Again and even Source for Sports have a good selection of used skates. Local arena ads and kijiji are other options. Ebay is a crap shoot - would only gamble with them if you know that brand in your size will fit your foot and if getting from the skates make sure they will ship USPS to Canada.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:28 AM
  #6
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
I agree, go with fit first. Throw brands and models out the window. Find out which skates fit your feet the best. Go with what fits best and is the higher end of your budget. Although I'm not sure any skates in the $120 range will last you very long. You might try to bump it up a bit to get more value out of the skates.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:15 AM
  #7
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
Really? I was told your feet will hurt until you break in your skates a little.
Yes, really

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:00 AM
  #8
Sensfanman
Registered User
 
Sensfanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,181
vCash: 500
Thanks everyone. I think I might hit up Sport Chek for those Bauer Vapor's. The sizing is important as I have small, but wide feet (usually a 7.5 wide or sometimes 8) and they have the variance to fit and looks like a good price. Obviously I'll still look around but that seems like a good place to start.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:25 AM
  #9
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,437
vCash: 500
I got a pair of Easton EQ30s for $150(US) and I love them. One of the cheaper skate models which is still heat-moldable, and IMO, better construction than the Vapor X3s or X4s.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
  #10
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
The vapors are great value.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
  #11
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I might hit up Sport Chek for those Bauer Vapor's. The sizing is important as I have small, but wide feet (usually a 7.5 wide or sometimes 8) and they have the variance to fit and looks like a good price. Obviously I'll still look around but that seems like a good place to start.
If you have wide feet you will probably find that Reeboks and CCMs fit you the best.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:52 AM
  #12
backhander
Registered User
 
backhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
it's probably not the best advice, but try to save another 100 or so. getting good skates is the best thing you can do for your game. i'm sure it's easier said than done.....better skates will really help your skating if you're in lesser skates now!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:17 AM
  #13
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
All you really need is a $200 pair of skates. Ive used $200 skates and $500 skates and really other than the fact that the $500 skates are lighter, there really isnt a whole lot of difference.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
  #14
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
All you really need is a $200 pair of skates. Ive used $200 skates and $500 skates and really other than the fact that the $500 skates are lighter, there really isnt a whole lot of difference.
the 500 dollar skates are also built with better materials, stronger and will last much longer than a 200 dollar pair

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:37 PM
  #15
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
The best value skates are the ones that fit you best.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
  #16
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
The best value skates are the ones that fit you best.
This. End thread

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:32 PM
  #17
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
First, I would consider getting new steel for your existing skates and save yourself a ton of money. If it ain't totally broke, why change it? The next thing to consider is staying with the same brand because the basic geometry will be the same and it won't feel like you have to learn to skate all over again. After that, go for fit and then price otherwise you'll be buying another pair shortly because the cheaped out pair you just bought cause you too much pain.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
  #18
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
First, I would consider getting new steel for your existing skates and save yourself a ton of money. If it ain't totally broke, why change it? The next thing to consider is staying with the same brand because the basic geometry will be the same and it won't feel like you have to learn to skate all over again. After that, go for fit and then price otherwise you'll be buying another pair shortly because the cheaped out pair you just bought cause you too much pain.
You got the order wrong here, can't tell you how many players had improperly fitted skates beforehand and simply 'got by'. Fit should be paramount.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
  #19
MouF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You got the order wrong here, can't tell you how many players had improperly fitted skates beforehand and simply 'got by'. Fit should be paramount.
word

if you go vapor i wouldnt go lower than x4..if you do you'll be buying a new pair in no time...

MouF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
  #20
Sensfanman
Registered User
 
Sensfanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,181
vCash: 500
My current skates are like 7 years old I think. I don't remember buying them they are so old and the blades are at the point where the skate shop guy says he can't sharpen them many more times haha.

I understand the fit part and I'd never compromise that part but in terms of quality, online reviews are inconsistent so I figured I'd ask around here mostly for skates or brands to avoid incase I do find a good fit and stop looking only to have them fall apart in a year.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
  #21
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
All you really need is a $200 pair of skates. Ive used $200 skates and $500 skates and really other than the fact that the $500 skates are lighter, there really isnt a whole lot of difference.
For you. I noticed the difference between $300 skates and $600 ones the first time I stepped on the ice with the new ones. Lighter, more responsive, and I felt like more energy was going through to the ice. And I got a bit faster too.

For a beginner, it won't matter. But for some of us, it makes a rather noticeable difference.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
  #22
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfanman View Post
My current skates are like 7 years old I think. I don't remember buying them they are so old and the blades are at the point where the skate shop guy says he can't sharpen them many more times haha.

I understand the fit part and I'd never compromise that part but in terms of quality, online reviews are inconsistent so I figured I'd ask around here mostly for skates or brands to avoid incase I do find a good fit and stop looking only to have them fall apart in a year.
Any of the major brands should be fine. Bauer, Easton, CCM, Reebok.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM
  #23
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,914
vCash: 500
20 years ago your feet would hurt when you got new skates, because they were made of leather and took a while to break in.

Today, they are made of composite materials which don't break in, they break down. If your feet hurt, they don't fit right. Baking will help soften the composite materials somewhat that will cool and harden to a new shape. If your feet stop hurting after a few skates, it's you adjusting to the skates, not the other way around.

You want a super snug skate, no pain at all, and skate as long as you can on them before they start to go soft.

$300 is the sweet spot in my opinion. Those are the skates that tend to be very light weight yet stiff and contain most of the technology from the high end models. For your average skater they should last several years. If you're very heavy, skate very frequently, or are a high level skater, you might want to cough up more money for stiffer skates which will last longer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:38 PM
  #24
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You got the order wrong here, can't tell you how many players had improperly fitted skates beforehand and simply 'got by'. Fit should be paramount.
If fit is the first step, how is it the wrong order? A lot of folks on here that buy skates have no idea that the geometry of the skates changes by manufacturer. It was only something to consider. Even getting a pair of skates that fit well but don't allow you to skate the way you did are no more a good skate than ones that don't fit.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
  #25
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
If fit is the first step, how is it the wrong order? A lot of folks on here that buy skates have no idea that the geometry of the skates changes by manufacturer. It was only something to consider. Even getting a pair of skates that fit well but don't allow you to skate the way you did are no more a good skate than ones that don't fit.
You mentioned that skaters should stick with the same brand/geometry and THEN look for fit. That is also incorrect and I only noticed this now. The fit of different brands WITHIN BRANDS have changed over time. The CCM Tacks of 10 years ago aren't the same 'geometry' as the CCM Vector series, U+ Pro series or even U+CL series. They've all changed. Same with Bauer Supreme of yesteryear and now and Reebok as well.

If you have a pair of new correctly fitted skates, there inevitably will have to be an adjustment period. You cannot expect a decade-old pair of leather constructed Tacks to feel the same as a new pair of correctly fitted skates with stiffer and lighter materials. Skating is skating and if you cannot skate with an old pair, you can't skate with a new one.

I can't tell you how many adult players who've been in the game longer than most of us have appreciated a pair of fitted skates over what they used to have. Skates nowadays are so much more able to be fitted to ones foot presuming that the have the right boot to start. Things like baking, stretching, punching and especially the inner materials have drastically cut down on the amount of break-in time required; it's non-comparable.

I stress the fact that fit is absolutely the most critical aspect, you might as well forget what you know about skates and rely on what fits your foot the best. The skating follows naturally

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.