HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Winter Classic at Citi Field?

Old
01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That would also fill the quota of a Bruins road game and a Rangers home game because Winter Classic participants always seem to get one of each at some point.
I actually made a mistake in my post.

Earliest possible date for a Yankee Stadium Winter Classic is 2015.

Pinstripe Bowl contract runs through 2013 college football season (so January 1, 2014 is the last Pinstripe Bowl).

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I would love a game at Citi, it's 5 minutes form my house.

(Yes I'm a Yankees fan living 5 minutes from the Mets )
Ditto! Lol

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:32 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I am a diehard Mets fan who hates the Yankees with a passion. But if the Rangers are going to host a Winter Classic in NY, it needs to be at Yankee Stadium. Plain and simple. Sorry, as much as I hate to admit it, the Yankees and Yankee Stadium ARE New York. The Mets and Citi Field are not. The Yankees have a much bigger history than the Mets, and the Rangers have a long history. And even though it's the "New" Yankee Stadium, it's still got the name, and it looks like the Old Stadium, pre 1970's renovation, with the facade and the old look outside the Stadium. . It just makes sense. Plus, I don't really like Citi Field much to begin with. Heck, I'd be more for one being at Shea if it were still around.

Now, that's not to say I would not get a tiny, little smile on my face if, for whatever reason, Citi Field did get it over Yankee Stadium, but that would be more just to stick it to Yankees fans. But after I finished laughing about it, I would acknowledge that it is in the wrong stadium.

Rangers-Bruins, Yankee Stadium 2015. It needs to happen. Book it.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 01-23-2012 at 07:38 AM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Cliffy1814

The game is going to sell out regardless of where it's held......Citizens Bank Park doesn't exactly ooze with baseball history and I'd say that was a great atmosphere.....Not one rational person is going to say "Love to go to the game, but can't do it because it's at Citi Field vs Yankee stadium".

Citi Field AND Yankee Stadium are gorgeous venues. If the Yankees want to continue with third rate bowl games play the game at CITI Field !

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
The game is going to sell out regardless of where it's held......Citizens Bank Park doesn't exactly ooze with baseball history and I'd say that was a great atmosphere.....Not one rational person is going to say "Love to go to the game, but can't do it because it's at Citi Field vs Yankee stadium".

Citi Field AND Yankee Stadium are gorgeous venues. If the Yankees want to continue with third rate bowl games play the game at CITI Field !
Locally it won't matter, but I think nationally there would be more interest in the game if it were played at Yankee Stadium.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I actually made a mistake in my post.

Earliest possible date for a Yankee Stadium Winter Classic is 2015.

Pinstripe Bowl contract runs through 2013 college football season (so January 1, 2014 is the last Pinstripe Bowl).
And that's my thing with waiting on Yankee Stadium--how long are we going to have to wait? What if they renew their contract? I don't want to be left our of hosting a WC because the Yankees would rather have some ******, meaningless bowl game.

Citi Field isn't ideal. I don't even know if it should be the top alternative to Yankee Stadium. However, if it ends up being the only venue realistically available, I don't want people to pass it over because it's not Yankee Stadium and the ****** Mets play there.

Quote:

Agreed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:13 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How marketable is Citizens Bank Park really? If it's in NY, that's all the marketing you need.
the park opened in 2004. first couple of years not so great, since 2008 they just win division titles, 2 ws appearances, and officially declared themselves as a big market team joining teams like nyy,bos,det,stl,chiw,chic,lad,laa and also the team formerly known as the mets who have now reached passed the islanders level of pure embarrasment smh. well the rangers and giants are what matter so 2/3 i shouldn't complain.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
the park opened in 2004. first couple of years not so great, since 2008 they just win division titles, 2 ws appearances, and officially declared themselves as a big market team joining teams like nyy,bos,det,stl,chiw,chic,lad,laa and also the team formerly known as the mets who have now reached passed the islanders level of pure embarrasment smh. well the rangers and giants are what matter so 2/3 i shouldn't complain.
You did a nice job of summarizing the Philadelphia Phillies. But what you said does not explain why Citizens Bank Park is a marketable site for the Winter Classic.

For that matter, how marketable are Ralph Wilson Stadium or Heinz Field?

01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
Yankee Stadium is way more marketable than Citi Field, and the Classic is all about marketability.
Oh please. The game is going to be highly watched, tickets will be in high demand. Yankee vs Shea isnt going to mean squat.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Cliffy1814

Can anyone construct a scenario in which the the game is played at MetLife Stadium (ideal venue) but the Devils are not involved? Better view of the NY Skyline there than there is from Yankee or Citi. The NFL has been "marketing" that as a NY venue for years so I don't think the league will be hurt by the game being in NJ

I am wondering (hoping) that this recent bailout loan the NHL is giving the Devils will be partially paid back by the Devils allowing Rangers/Bruins to be played in their backyard.

That's a longshot though.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
You did a nice job of summarizing the Philadelphia Phillies. But what you said does not explain why Citizens Bank Park is a marketable site for the Winter Classic.

you asked how marketable CBP was, if you have read any of the statements about the winter classic earlier in the year or the page before, the NHL clearly indicates that a baseball park would have to have had history there. granted the park isnt open 10 years yet but already theres been a good amount of history involved in it. its also marketable because its simply outdoors whether it was lincoln financial or cbp, marketability was already there due to it being an outdoor game. obv if jan 1st wasn't a sunday this year or if eagles didn't have a home game to close out the season it would have been there.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Can anyone construct a scenario in which the the game is played at MetLife Stadium (ideal venue) but the Devils are not involved? Better view of the NY Skyline there than there is from Yankee or Citi. The NFL has been "marketing" that as a NY venue for years so I don't think the league will be hurt by the game being in NJ

I am wondering (hoping) that this recent bailout loan the NHL is giving the Devils will be partially paid back by the Devils allowing Rangers/Bruins to be played in their backyard.

That's a longshot though.
First, the Devils would not have any say in the matter. 2nd, Giants stadium, would be much better. More seats, better sight lines for hockey.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:37 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicDing View Post
Yankee Stadium is way more marketable than Citi Field, and the Classic is all about marketability.
Here in town yea, but did you really care what field they chose in Philadelphia? I wouldn't have thought once if it was in the Eagles stadium instead of the Phillies. Same with CHicago or anywhere else it's been.

Here in town, sure it makes a difference, but marketing it as played at Yankee stadium mattering in the rest of the world seems to be some bloated self-importance by yankee fans.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I'm a Mets fan who loves Citi Field -- and the game needs to be played at Yankee Stadium. There's no doubt about it.

01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Yankee Stadium.

Rangers vs. Bruins.

Epic.
beat me to it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:08 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I'm a Mets fan who loves Citi Field -- and the game needs to be played at Yankee Stadium. There's no doubt about it.
I'm a yankee fan, and to me putting an oval rink in an oval stadium with Football's higher seating makes more sense. We've all seen the pics from the 2010/2011 Winter Classic from lower section seating, and the boards cut off damn near 1/4 the viewing of the play. Hell there was a Flickr page entirely dedicated to how terrible the sightlines were to people at all different elevations.

I get it that baseball fields are available for this date, where football fields need to be prepared between games and that may not be possible… but I've been to Yankee stadium 5 or 6 times now. The sight lines are going to be beyond bad for anyone not sitting at a decent height.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
so as an outsider i have to ask are most ranger fans yankee fans and most islander fans mets fans? i always thought thats how it usually ended up

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
so as an outsider i have to ask are most ranger fans yankee fans and most islander fans mets fans? i always thought thats how it usually ended up
I always thought of it as most Devil fans are Mets/Jets fans. And most Islander fans obviously hate sports.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:14 PM
jmb9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
CitiField ? I can see it now, NBC with aerial shots of the junkyard arcoss the street
. Gotta go with Yankee stadium
yeah becasue the bronx is so lovely.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
I think generally speaking, the Rangers , Yankees, Giants are tied together (older franchises) while the Mets, Jets, Isles are tied together.

My Dad grew up a Brooklyn Dodger fan so I am a National Legaue (Mets) fan who hates the Yankees with a passion.

I also live in Cnetral NJ 30 mins from the rock and there are more Ranger fans in my nexck of the woods than Devils for what it's worth.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:45 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Yankee Stadium.

Rangers vs. Bruins.

Epic.
ding ding ding

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
For the most part, yes. But I'm a Rangers, Mets and Giants fan. My dad was a NY baseball Giants fan, wouldn't root for the Yanks after the they moved to SF, so he became Mets fan when they came into the NL but still followed the Giants. The Mets became his team once Willie Mays was traded back to NY. And he was obviously a Rangers and NY football Giants fan, so that's where my rooting interests come from.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:

It comes down to the fact that those cities didn't have those go to places like these other cities have. There is no Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, or Yankee Stadium comparable in those cities. There's no way they would pass up a venue like that if there were one in the city.

01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
yeah becasue the bronx is so lovely.
relax, Im from Queens, do I sense a disgruntled Met fan , Im shocked

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
It comes down to the fact that those cities didn't have those go to places like these other cities have. There is no Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, or Yankee Stadium comparable in those cities. There's no way they would pass up a venue like that if there were one in the city.
This isn't the old Yankee Stadium. This is not a legendary venue. It is in name only.

The real question did having this event at Heinz Field, Ralph Wilson Stadium and Citizen's Bank Park detract from the grandeur of the event. And how much did venues like Fenway or Wrigley really enhance interest.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote