HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Healthy Crosby vs Kenny Holland?

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Crosby 65 83.33%
Holland 11 14.10%
Another GM in the league 1 1.28%
Another player in the league 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINISHYOURMILK View Post
If you want specifics:

The Brad Stuart trade for a late 2nd and 4th pick.
The recent Ian White signing, (name a free agent signing from this summer which has turned out better than this one).
His ability to know when to pass on players and when to give some chances (Bertuzzi, Eaves, Cleary etc...).

More than the moves he has made, the moves he hasn't are what stand out for me. He seems to understand what half of GM's in the league don't, you don't guarantee championships with overpaid super stars, and block buster trades every other year. I couldn't tell you what "it" is, but K.H seems to know what it takes to win. Simply that.

Let's face it, the Bruins, Hawks, Canucks are good teams, not dynasties in the way that Detroit is. The way Kenny has put legitimate contenders on the ice year after year is comparable to no team in the NHL.

If we judge a GM by their teams production then yes, Kenny Holland is miles ahead of any other GM, but apparently the GM has little to do with a team's success? Trust me, "He's good, but he's inflated by superb coaching, scouting and playing." Which is ironic because I can't tell you how many times I've heard
"The coaching is decent but it's a product of good players, superb management and scouting"
or
"The scouting is decent but is made to seem better than it really is but excellent coaching, management etc..."
I mean by the sounds of it, the Wings have dominated the past two decades with nothing more than "slightly above average everything"

Put it this way, Kenny Holland's team hasn't missed the playoffs in two decades, (almost tripling the next best current record.) Came two goals away from winning 5 cups in 12 years. I don't think one superstar can do that. By no means am I saying he is the ONLY reason for Detroit's success, but in my mind his effect on the team is far greater than any one player's.

Just another thing to think about, who do you think has been more important to the franchise? One of the all-time greats in Lidstrom or KH?
Brian Elliot.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
For this to be interesting, it has to be the entire Wings front office and scouting/development staff too.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
nowhereman

Crosby is a god amongst players. Add him to any middle-of-the-pack team and they're a contender. Add him to a contender and they're the team to beat.

Ken Holland is a great GM but let's be honest... much of Detroit's success has come from lots of money, great scouting, and a hell of a lot of luck. A smaller market team could not have afforded the '97, '98, or '02 Wings teams. And there's a lot of luck in play when you can draft superstars like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, or Zetterberg as late as they did, even with the incredible scouting team they have. Holland is not some wonder-Gm that's going to change everything for a franchise like Columbus.

Holland as a piece, albeit a major one, of a great franchise. Add him to Vancouver or Boston and are they really that much better? No. They're both good now and in the future. Add Crosby to Vancouver or Boston and they're cup champions.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Holland is a good GM, but I take Crosby easily.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:03 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCullogh View Post
Is Crosby miles ahead of guys like Datsuyk, Malkin, Sedins, Giroux etc etc...
Yes.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

While I understand, as GM, Holland will be making the decisions on things such as coaching, for me he's a degree too far removed to say I take him over a healthy Crosby.

If he picks a head coach who doesn't mesh with the talent he's assembled, then his skill of gathering talent is sort of diminished. A healthy Crosby has a direct effect on the ice.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:53 AM
nudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Yes.
Nope.

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
For this to be interesting, it has to be the entire Wings front office and scouting/development staff too.
Agreed, and assuming that the problems start at the ownership/management level (ex: Thrashers or Islanders) that's the only way picking Holland and Co. would be justified. Anyone else with an above average front office couldn't care less and would prefer icing the 'healthy' best player in the world for 20 years.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote