HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to fix the Habs' Power Play

Old
01-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Every year Montreal had a shooter and thats why the PP thrived. Every year also, Montreal let their shooter walk away. This year was the first year they didnt replace it and look what happens. Also, habs brilliant GM thought the issue was a PP passer, and he couldnt be more wrong which doesnt surprise most of us.

Maybe the PP wouldnt be top 5 but if it was 15th instead of 30th, Montreal is in a playoff spot.

Its ridiculous they have went through Souray, Streit, Schneider, MAB, and Wiz the last 5 years or so.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
Wrong.

Souray's bomb was replaced with Streit's.

short memories...
do you REMEMBER who used to set up Sheldon Souray for his one timer most of the time?

Name that guy...

and when when Sheldon went down, remember back to what happened....

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Rand0mTAG
Rookie User

The solution was supposed to be weber and subban. Weber couldn't make the top 6 (which I blame jm for) and subban doesn't seem to realise that wrist and snaps are good choices too

Rand0mTAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
znk

The D needs to shoot from the middle instead of shooting from stupid angles all the time.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Stradale

At this point, if I was the coach, I would just put 5 guys out there and tell them to find a way to score. No strategy no nothing. Improvise (ok with a bit of organization). They play hockey their whole life, they should know a thing or two on how to score a goal especially with one extra man.

Sometime it feels like they are so focused on what they have to do, where they have to position that they lose all creativity.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Lshap

I'll repeat, it's not about where we shoot, it's about creating confusion and creating space, so that our shots have a chance in hell of finding the back of the net. It's about moving close and moving back, moving right and left. It's about breaking up coverage and making their D unsure which way to move.

Watch our next PP -- we'll cycle harmlessly around the perimeter, then finally shoot from just inside the blueline. The puck will harmlessly hit a leg. Next, we hope for a rebound. Problem is, the opposition is already there, which means there's no chance to score unless the initial shot snakes through a sea of legs, or we get a lucky whack on the rebound.

Part of this problem remains the fault of our inexperienced defensemen, whose job it is to set up these plays. They're simply not confident enough yet. But part has been our timid forwards (howdy, Mr. Cammalleri), who couldn't/wouldn't penetrate in close enough to pose a threat and pry open some space.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I am starting to think it's less who we play on the PP but how we play on the PP. My instructions if I were in charge of the PP:

1) Carry the puck into the offensive zone (no dump-ins).
2) Someone always in front of the net.
3) Work on relays and one-timers.
4) Maximum three passes before taking a shot.

Comments?
You can't say "no dump ins" because there are times when the opposition has 4 guys back and you have no choice..

Lately the PP has been all pass it to the point and blast away with someone in front. TOo predictable.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
do you REMEMBER who used to set up Sheldon Souray for his one timer most of the time?

Name that guy...

and when when Sheldon went down, remember back to what happened....
Of course it was Markov duhhh!

The Habs lethal PP have always been centered around Markov: either the cross-ice pass to Kovalev/Cammalleri (one-timer) the smooth lateral dish to Souray/Streit/Bergeron (all left-handed shooters with a hard slapper) or the backdoor sneak.

We all witnessed that the Markov experience as the primary shooter failed. Markov has a decent wrister but his slap shot is mediocre at best. The Habs need his vision/creativity/passing skills to distribute pucks instead.

So how to fix the PP? Habs need a healthy Markov, period.

He would set-up Emelin (hard left point shot), Kostitsyn should be taking the Kovalev/Cammalleri faceoff dot for one-timers, and one of Bourque/Cole/Pacioretty should be screening the goalie and jump on rebounds.

But to say that Markov replaced Souray as the primary shooter when Souray left is just wrong. It was Streit that replaced Souray's shot. No wonder why he signed his big-fat contract in Uniondale as soon as he hit UFA status.

Last edited by Lestriker: 01-22-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Typo.
Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Bring back Muller?
Muller was in charge of the PK. Pearn was in charge of the PP

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
Of course it was Markov duhhh!

The Habs lethal PP have always been centered around Markov: either the cross-ice pass to Kovalev/Cammalleri (one-timer) the smooth lateral dish to Souray/Streit/Bergeron (all left-handed shooters with a hard slapper) or the backdoor sneak.

We all witnessed that the Markov experience as the primary shooter failed. Markov has a decent wrister but his slap shot is mediocre at best. The Habs need his vision/creativity/passing skills to distribute pucks instead.

So how to fix the PP? Habs need a healthy Markov, period.

He would set-up Emelin (hard left point shot), Kostitsyn should be taking the Kovalev/Cammalleri faceoff dot for one-timers, and one of Bourque/Cole/Pacioretty should be screening the goalie and jump on rebounds.

But to say that Markov replaced Souray as the primary shooter when Souray left is just wrong. It was Streit that replaced Souray's shot. No wonder why he signed his big-fat contract in Uniondale as soon as he hit UFA status.
Its not all about Markov. Markov has played a combined 52 games in the previous two season where Montreal's PP was still successful without him.

The fact is there is NO SHOT that the opposition respects. No one respects Webers shot because he is more likely to whiff or bobble it. No one respects Subbans shot because it misses the net.

Having no bomb at the point then causes the opposition to focus on the low play which makes that play less successful. Its a vicious cycle.

Wiz was perfect here because he had vision and had the shot.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Muller was in charge of the PK. Pearn was in charge of the PP
If i am not mistake, one year it was Muller, one year it was Pearn. Then they switched following year.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:36 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

10th among all NHL d-men for PP goals...

playing for the Habs...

well, huh... actually, he doesnt play...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
10th among all NHL d-men for PP goals...

playing for the Habs...

well, huh... actually, he doesnt play...
Wow... actually he is tie at 5th! He needs to hit the net with more regularity but it is impressive nonetheless.

Defenseman - Summary - Power Play Goals

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Wow... actually he is tie at 5th! He needs to hit the net with more regularity but it is impressive nonetheless.

Defenseman - Summary - Power Play Goals
more PP goals than Souray, MaB and Wiz combined...

and there's no room for him in the line-up...

Old
01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Habit11

Quote:

I thought for sure they'd use him on the 4th line all season while also being the PP shooter. Better to have Darche or Blunden

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:57 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
I thought for sure they'd use him on the 4th line all season while also being the PP shooter. Better to have Darche or Blunden
well, we have to play Campoli... who knows, his trade value may be of a 6th rounder by now

Old
01-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Habit11

Quote:
well, we have to play Campoli... who knows, his trade value may be of a 6th rounder by now
Sens traded him and a 7th for a minor leaguer and a 2nd just last year. Lucky Sens.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:

I'm not sold on his vision though, and even though you're the shooter on the PP you need to be able to make the right play if there's no shot. That's the knock on Webber. He's got to learn how to hold the blue line and he has to make the smart shot. Having a hard shot is one thing, being able to control it is another. Souray was the best I've seen in recent years. His shot was powerful yet he knew exactly where to put it and find that hole.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:32 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I'm not sold on his vision though, and even though you're the shooter on the PP you need to be able to make the right play if there's no shot. That's the knock on Webber. He's got to learn how to hold the blue line and he has to make the smart shot. Having a hard shot is one thing, being able to control it is another. Souray was the best I've seen in recent years. His shot was powerful yet he knew exactly where to put it and find that hole.
he's 23... he already has the shot, can use it to score... not sure he's improving in what you're talking about from the stands

Old
01-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Stop being a **** and changing the subject. Your argument is that because you're small you can't cycle and I said that's not true and I gave examples. I'm done with you.
I'm curious...how does Giroux play like he's 5'9"? He plays bigger than anyone on our team not named Cole. Same could be said about St. Louis.

I don't agree with the other guys' comment about DD either, but you clearly need to watch more philly games.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:03 AM
yianik

You need somebody on the half-boards capable of pressuring the defendor there so space is created elsewhere. Kovalev was actually the best at this. Anyway, Gomez is our best puckhandler and therefore playmaker and hes the guy who should be doing this, but its Gomez and he hasnt gotten it done when given the chance. Not sure who else to try, whose our best puckhandler?

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

1) Give AK more PP time, since he's one of the most effective players in goal/PP time.

2) Stop using the ridiculous windup shots and use the pressuring forward as a screen for easy rebounds due to the goalie's inability to get a clear look at the puck.

3) Use the backdoor play that Kaberle tries to setup from time to time.

I'm guessing the coaching staff is probably better at figuring how to make it work than any of us though.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:31 PM
malcb33

Personally I find that the revolving door policy on the PP doesn't help us build momentum (what little we have) or fix issues, as there's different guys out every time. I think we need to break down the jobs of each position on the PP and figure out where our strengths lie. I.E Bourque seems good in front, Plex on the half-boards etc and work on it hard in practice. The PP has been the biggest difference between winning and loosing this year and I think it will be better after the AS break.

Then again, maybe were better off sucking on the PP and working towards a nice draft pick??

malcb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

We pass around on the perimeter but they are hardly the tic-tac-toe passes, almost always the player receiving the pass has to handle it for a second or so, which allows the defense to reset in the shooting lane and then we are right back where we were before the pass.

Not productive.

I'd say only make passes that help put us into a better scoring position, and then shoot. More aggression.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
First reaction: no one (Diaz, Weber and Subban... I am looking at you!) in Habs land can, from the point, hit the net with regularity. Finding the seams is a lost art in Habs land. Right now I think it is our biggest PP problem.

I would be willing to try Emelin on the point: offensively, he did provide a good contribution a year ago in the KHL and a few years ago during the WJC.

PS Habs are ok regarding your points 1 and 2 imo; though from a one timer perspective... we suck!
Habs Ds could learn a thing or two from watching videos of Lidstrom on the PP, he is the best when it comes to find seams.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote