HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks @ Nashville Predators (go for the gold)

Old
01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What bothers me the most is the singers who think they're Mariah Carey and throw in 10,000 melismas, especially on the last two lines. It's a march, not a ballad, and even if it were a ballad, that wouldn't be called for. Get over yourself, finish the anthem, and let's play.
See Steven Tyler's screwed up performance today.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Why does singing along bother you? The Canadians do it all the time and not only is it a great display of patriotism, it's pretty awe-inspiring.

What bothers me the most is the singers who think they're Mariah Carey and throw in 10,000 melismas, especially on the last two lines. It's a march, not a ballad, and even if it were a ballad, that wouldn't be called for. Get over yourself, finish the anthem, and let's play.
I like to sing during the anthem. I naively believe it one of the ultimate symbols of national unity and patriotism, and rather dislike the idea of it as something to be 'performed' by a single person (especially the scenario you describe)...though not to say that doesn't have its place. That said, it's something different to everyone. <shrug>

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Why does singing along bother you? The Canadians do it all the time and not only is it a great display of patriotism, it's pretty awe-inspiring.

Totally agree on the embellishment ... sing it like it's written THEN we can all sing a long because we're sure of what's coming next ... instead of you making a two syllable word into six, etc.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
hockey diva

I think a a place called Music City should sing the anthem. I sing it. Denis Worley(Morgan maybe, can't remember) does a great job and should be our regular anthem singer not these silly American Idol wannabes.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I think a a place called Music City should sing the anthem. I sing it. Denis Worley(Morgan maybe, can't remember) does a great job and should be our regular anthem singer not these silly American Idol wannabes.
I wish more rinks/arenas would opt to have the anthem sung by the crowd, though I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why that isn't done.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
I didn't say singing along bothered me...I said I didn't really like it (I guess I should say...don't prefer it).

If someone next to me is singing along, in a respectful way, I'm not going to be bothered by it...I'm just not going to join in.

And yes, I notice some of the Canadians do it with their anthem. And I do think that is pretty cool.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I wish more rinks/arenas would opt to have the anthem sung by the crowd, though I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why that isn't done.
On saturday nights, the anthem singer sometimes lets the crowd sing the middle 1/3rd, and sings the start and end himself/herself.

It's not always the case, but I love it.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
On saturday nights, the anthem singer sometimes lets the crowd sing the middle 1/3rd, and sings the start and end himself/herself.

It's not always the case, but I love it.
That sounds great! Wife and I are going to get out there...one of these days...must...

Old
01-23-2012, 12:30 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That's one of the biggest things that annoys me...fans of teams that do stupid cheers or make noise during the National Anthem. It's disrespectful.

Singing along....I don't really like it, but it doesn't bother me like just making random noise. There was a big group of Douchehawks in front of me...I was tempted to smack each of them upside the head during the Anthem.
I think it's awesome when a whole canadian barn sings their anthem. Nothing better. How can that not move you, in a positive way?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I think it's awesome when a whole canadian barn sings their anthem. Nothing better. How can that not move you, in a positive way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I didn't say singing along bothered me...I said I didn't really like it (I guess I should say...don't prefer it).

If someone next to me is singing along, in a respectful way, I'm not going to be bothered by it...I'm just not going to join in.

And yes, I notice some of the Canadians do it with their anthem. And I do think that is pretty cool.
^^^^

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I sing the Canadian anthem as my mother is Canadian ... plus the fact that it is an easier song to sing than the Star Spangled Banner. When Dennis Morgan sings the anthem, I sing along because he sings it like it's written.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:37 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

They gave Wilson the assist on Hornys goal back! YEEEEEEEAAYYYY!!

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Bongo

I couldn't hear anybody singing for all the Blackhawks fan's yelling a clapping.

What a great night. This was just what a couple of abandoned hockey fans from Atlanta needed. We had a rockin' good time in your town. Hockey Tonkin indeed. See ya next month for the Sharks game.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
What a great night. This was just what a couple of abandoned hockey fans from Atlanta needed. We had a rockin' good time in your town. Hockey Tonkin indeed. See ya next month for the Sharks game.
Did you happen to watch warm ups behind a girl in a Wisconsin Suter jersey? If so, nice to meet you. If not, there were 2 other ATL fans in attendance.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Bongo

We were tossing back Blue Ribbons during the warm up and wearing the Red and Black. I did see and talk to a young woman in a Thrashers jersey. Everyone we met and talked to was very friendly no matter what color sweater they had on.

Last edited by Bongo: 01-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I sing along because we were taught to sing along with it in school. Old habits die hard. I hate the country music / Sunday Contemporary Choir tryout renditions of the anthem (have I mentioned that about 50 times now?) Personally, I think Dennis Morgan adds too many extra syllables, but for the most part he's good. My favorites are the barbershop quartets. Everyone can sing along with them because they're already starting on 4 different notes.
;-)

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Dennis Morgan is the best of the anthem singers. The ones I can't stand are the girls that treat it like an American Idol audition.

JoDee Messina-- I'm looking at you.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

sooooooo.. new GDT, NoNeck???

lets keep the mojo rolling...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
For those who mentioned earlier that the Hawks might have been tired, playing the 2nd of a back-to-back... The Hawks typically show up flat to the 1st game, and play better in the 2nd game. I don't have stats to prove it, but it's pretty well known and agreed upon within our fan base.

Thanks for the great time guys, minus the asskicking that is. Love going to games in your stadium, and had some good talks with fellow fans as we were in a pretty heavily filled season ticket section. Saw some fellow Hawks fans, but it was mostly dominated by Preds fans. Either way, had a good time at the game and some great hockey talk with some Preds season ticket holders by us. Thank God you guys have a great bar scene down the street and I was able to shortly forget about that pathetic display shortly after.

See you again in March!

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote