HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Phaneuf over Crosby and Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Moving the names off the table, in general, all things being equal, would you really take a stud defenseman first to build your team around? Or even a goalie? I can see the taking a center over a wing part, again all things being equal, as a center handles the puck far more times than a wing so will be more involved more. Also stud centers seem to be a bit rarer. But let us look at each position. Goalie, as some have pointed out, can be a crap shoot. They take so damn long to develope, and some of the greatest have been mid round or worse picks. Some here have even said that they would never take a goalie first round, no matter who it is. I disagree with that, but that said unless I could guarentee a Roy no way I take a chance over the other choices. Hell, even if I knew the kid would be the next Roy I would hesitate. As for the other positions let us look at some choices from the past. Probably true that stud defenseman like Scott Stevens are pretty rare compared to pretty damn fine forewards who seem to almost always make up the bulk of top five picks of any draft. But would you take Stevens, or Roy for that matter, over their contemporaries Mario and Gretzky? I doubt any would. So if given a chance at a once in a decade forward like Crosby or AO could turn out to be, I would take that chance any day of the year. Goalie I can get elsewhere, defenseman like Phaneuf anyone would covet and Calgary will be very happy that they have him for years to come. But alone he will not propel them to a championship, just like Scott Stevens could not alone in the past. You can get defenseman to play a system and your team will be fine. However, players like AO or Crosby, if they develope as their teams hope, could have far more impact individually. They can not do it alone either, but can come far closer. And they potentially are far rarer and more important than your average run of the mill 'great' foreward who fill the ranks of top five picks year after year, even rarer than stud defenseman. If they turn out of course. That is why if there were a dispersal draft today, with those three players in it, you can argue who would go one or two, but we all know who almost all if not all the GM's picking would pick third, and it would be the stud defenseman.

Old
01-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Moving the names off the table, in general, all things being equal, would you really take a stud defenseman first to build your team around? Or even a goalie? I can see the taking a center over a wing part, again all things being equal, as a center handles the puck far more times than a wing so will be more involved more. Also stud centers seem to be a bit rarer. But let us look at each position. Goalie, as some have pointed out, can be a crap shoot. They take so damn long to develope, and some of the greatest have been mid round or worse picks. Some here have even said that they would never take a goalie first round, no matter who it is. I disagree with that, but that said unless I could guarentee a Roy no way I take a chance over the other choices. Hell, even if I knew the kid would be the next Roy I would hesitate. As for the other positions let us look at some choices from the past. Probably true that stud defenseman like Scott Stevens are pretty rare compared to pretty damn fine forewards who seem to almost always make up the bulk of top five picks of any draft. But would you take Stevens, or Roy for that matter, over their contemporaries Mario and Gretzky? I doubt any would. So if given a chance at a once in a decade forward like Crosby or AO could turn out to be, I would take that chance any day of the year. Goalie I can get elsewhere, defenseman like Phaneuf anyone would covet and Calgary will be very happy that they have him for years to come. But alone he will not propel them to a championship, just like Scott Stevens could not alone in the past. You can get defenseman to play a system and your team will be fine. However, players like AO or Crosby, if they develope as their teams hope, could have far more impact individually. They can not do it alone either, but can come far closer. And they potentially are far rarer and more important than your average run of the mill 'great' foreward who fill the ranks of top five picks year after year, even rarer than stud defenseman. If they turn out of course. That is why if there were a dispersal draft today, with those three players in it, you can argue who would go one or two, but we all know who almost all if not all the GM's picking would pick third, and it would be the stud defenseman.
Good post. It's too simplistic to just say you'd choose a #1 defenseman over a #1 centerman. Comparisons have to be done on a player-by-player basis.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Assasin05

Pretty bad comparison since Ovech and Crosby are fowards and Phaneuf is a D.
Yes they are all rookies and are performing well repectively but I find it unfair to compare 2 fowards to a defensemen. Kinda makes sense to compare Ovech and Crosby but Phaneuf should be compared to the likes of Seabrook instead if anything.

Closed Thread