HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan McDonagh (1/23: Skating in practice; only had wind knocked out of him)

Old
01-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Honestly I'm a bit upset Marchand was suspended.

It was a dangerous play. Yeah.
Repeat offender. Yeah.

Ten years ago this hit wouldn't even have been an issue. This league is too soft. McDonagh is fine, should have just let the teams have some tenacity towards each other, not step in everytime the physicality steps up.
Ten Years ago this hit would have started a nasty line brawl. The problem is that too many guys feel like they can get away with this @#$# now!

Somebody will get really hurt or even worse out there at some point.

The players no longer have the ability to police themselves. The league will under do it and some one will pay a serious price or over do it and really hurt the game.

Just my two cents.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
"It is important to note, that although McDonagh left the game, the reports we have received at this time are that there are no apparent injuries."

From the Shanny video.
So if mcd was paralyzed on the play would Ferance get 40 games? The fact that someone escapes serious injury should have no effect on the decision by the NHL.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Until the team comes out and says he is uninjured its not official by any means.

Maybe the team doesnt feel like telling the NHL how he is injured(and the other 29 teams), they have no reason to reveal anything they don't want to, especially now that's its the 2nd half of the season.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
Until the team comes out and says he is uninjured its not official by any means.

Maybe the team doesnt feel like telling the NHL how he is injured(and the other 29 teams), they have no reason to reveal anything they don't want to, especially now that's its the 2nd half of the season.
Recently there have been teams lying or embellishing injuries to get suspensions longer. So I guess there's no reason for them to hide it from other teams too. I guess the Rangers just chose not to do that so I would believe them that he isn't injured. He didn't even look injured after skating to the locker room. He just looked like he needed rest.

01-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Well im just trying to save some of you from panicking when come tomorrow, McD is not on the ice due to a maintenance day, then come gameday on Tuesday he is still not in the lineup and the team says they are just giving him a week break.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
So if mcd was paralyzed on the play would Ferance get 40 games? The fact that someone escapes serious injury should have no effect on the decision by the NHL.
Where did I say this?

01-22-2012, 03:47 PM
canucks22

Feel really bad for RMD on this play...no need for a guy coming in at such a fast speed and push a guy from the behind as soon as he knows he won't get the puck. Really hope hits like these are out of the game but most likely will never be

canucks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Fataldogg

I'm glad to hear it. McDonagh is having a banner year for us. He's a good young kid. I would have hated to see him miss an extended period of time. Hopefully, Tortorella still plays him conservatively in the next game to avoid any potential injury elicited from the previous hit.

Now, this allows us to continue to work up Marc Staal's ice time and not put him into a position he isn't ready for yet.

3 game suspension is the right call too. Ference isn't a dirty player. I don't think there was any intent either. It was just a stupid play on his part. Probably did not recognize the situation he was in or the position McDonagh was in when he did it. Had he injured McDonagh a 5 game suspension would have been more appropriate.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I say sit MCD tuesday anyway and give him 10 days to recover and be okay. He clearly was shaken up anyway.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:58 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
In my opinion, I like that it's somewhat a factor when deciding length of suspensions.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where did I say this?
I don't think he was asking you. I think it was a question towards the league/Shanahan. I also think that injuries or lack of injuries should have no bearing on suspension lengths.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

They shouldn't, because then they are looking at the hit/dangerous play in retrospect. They should look at the situation at the point in time it occurs, not based on the consequences.

Just because McD is supposedly uninjured, doesn't mean Ference's play was not a dangerous move. Next time the victim of this type of play may not be as fortunate as McD.

Last edited by Stugots: 01-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why does the NHL need to see if McDonagh is seriously injured before making a ruling? Judge the hit. Don't judge the end result.

The NHL is the joke. Not the Rangers. Why does the NHL need to see the medical report? They always say the end result has no basis for the suspension.
I think there should be a min served around 12 games for this particular hit. However the caveat is if the player is injured and still out by the 12 games then that player is still suspended. That way the end result is always in play but the judgement of 12 games or whatever minimum is separate.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
That hit, and many like it are the most dangerous plays in hockey. Worse than simply elbowing in the face.

Plays like that can paralyze a player. Those hits have no place in the game, and the suspensions for them should all be more severe.

3 games is fine in the sense that it is consistant with what we've seen, but as a rule they should all be more.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I think it is a bit of a disgrace that injuries play a role now when the league decides punishments. Just because a player doesn't get hurt doesn't mean he couldn't have been seriously injured on a reckless play, and imo it makes it hard for players to really figure out what is suspendable and what isnt.
Its pretty obvious that there is a minimum of at least a suspension. Adding time for injuries makes a lot of sense as long as there is a minimum set. That said people seem pretty ignorant of the fact that Shanny prob has to contend with a lot of political bs to set a min of 10 games or something. They act like Shanny is the only one involved in setting suspension limits. I have a feeling that he is working very hard to change the rule so that a play like that is an immediate suspension of 10+ games. (I personally also think the injury rule shoulkd be in effect as well where if the min suspension is served but the player is still injured than the suspension continues). The NHLPA likely wont agree to change sh** about the league with CBA negotiations unless the players actually demanded an immediate min suspension. Can almost guarantee you things likme realignment and Min suspensions of 10+ games are not agreed to because they will be used as bargaining chips...or b/c the process of making such a rule is something that takes a deal of planning and negotiating.

As nyr2k said Shanny has done a lot ALOT more than has been done previously but anyone who expected him to bring wholesale change to susp limits within mere months is a fool

Old
01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
and once again most of the board over reacted...Supersonicmonkey was already calling concussion and being out for extended time..sure it was an ugly hit but you cant talk like experts unless you are an insider...wait..gather info...and wait some more...don't fly off the handle and make assumptions...the best line this year was Boyle calling game 8 a must win..sometimes I wonder if I come here for comedy or Hockey?
You completely gloss over the important point which is that the min suspension currently set is not enough for a play like this. There should already be a min of 10 or 12 games. Then injury should add to that. The fact is that if the league decided to they could rule no suspension at all...thats unacceptable.

Injuries should DEFINITELY have a role but the min susp needs to change

Lastly ive always had a strong dislike of Boston and their sports fans. That said this board doesn't represent rationale, good hockey fans (There are MANY which is why HF is such a great source of hockey info and discussion) so w/e I won'[t use the idiots on HF BOS as a reason to crucify all BOS fans.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 01-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I don't think he was asking you. I think it was a question towards the league/Shanahan. I also think that injuries or lack of injuries should have no bearing on suspension lengths.
Yes. Sorry it came across that way. It was ment for shanny and the NHL. I know they care about my opinion. Lol.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Phew.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
I think there should be a min served around 12 games for this particular hit. However the caveat is if the player is injured and still out by the 12 games then that player is still suspended. That way the end result is always in play but the judgement of 12 games or whatever minimum is separate.
There is no way. You mean to tell me if that if a player like Wolski got boarded by a guy like Giroux, the Rangers wouldn't keep Wolski out as long as possible just to keep Giroux out?

That type of **** would be common place in the NHL.

01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
There is no way. You mean to tell me if that if a player like Wolski got boarded by a guy like Giroux, the Rangers wouldn't keep Wolski out as long as possible just to keep Giroux out?

That type of **** would be common place in the NHL.
THIS^^^

lol

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Recently there have been teams lying or embellishing injuries to get suspensions longer.

Shouldn't you be backing that up with some evidence?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:25 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Shouldn't you be backing that up with some evidence?
Ryan Miller and the Sabres calling his neck strain a concussion

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

The reason why whether a player is injured or not is taken into account is because that's how the entire world works.

If I shoot you, and you survive without any serious injury, I'll go to jail for a lot less time then if you died.

Same concept here. Not saying it's fair, but that's the way it is.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Miller has been horrible since coming back. I think it has something to do with Lucic running him.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:20 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
That was the Bruins doctors who said he had a concussion. They were in Boston.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote