HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part 2 -- Bruins at Flyers - January 22, 2012

Old
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
You guys are hilarious. Bryz has 2 great games, plays 1 MEDIOCRE to the best team in hockey, and we're back to missing the playoffs and playing for a lottery pick. If you read the Flyers board as a stranger to the sport, you'd think we were last in the league and losing every game by 10.
The Flyers may not be in last place, but Bryz's goaltending stats are getting pretty close to the bottom of the league. That should tell you something. I'm not sure how anyone can still defend him.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:53 PM
JVR21
G

Interesting..http://www.***********/r/Flyers/comme...ter_down_just/

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Just saw this as well... I don't really know what to think about it really

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Just saw this as well... I don't really know what to think about it really
If you ain't cheating you ain't tryin.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
The Flyers may not be in last place, but Bryz's goaltending stats are getting pretty close to the bottom of the league. That should tell you something. I'm not sure how anyone can still defend him.
I'm not defending him per se, I'm saying 1 mediocre game after 2 great games and this is the treatment? I feel like the only way the dude can be considered NOT the end to the season, is to never let a goal in again. I'm not sure how people can be so negative.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Jtown

Quote:
I'm not defending him per se, I'm saying 1 mediocre game after 2 great games and this is the treatment? I feel like the only way the dude can be considered NOT the end to the season, is to never let a goal in again. I'm not sure how people can be so negative.
Flyer fans have a way of being irrational and base a majority of their opinions on emotions and not reason.

It's not even worth bringing up because it will only go nowhere.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Flyer fans have a way of being irrational and base a majority of their opinions on emotions and not reason.

It's not even worth bringing up because it will only go nowhere.
Well, looking at the concrete facts I don't know how anyone can come to a conclusion other than "Bryz is having a horrendous season." You don't need to use emotion to come to that conclusion.

01-23-2012, 12:02 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, looking at the concrete facts I don't know how anyone can come to a conclusion other than "Bryz is having a horrendous season." You don't need to use emotion to come to that conclusion.
I would never argue he isn't having a bad season. I think his stats alone don't tell the whole story because he has let in an inordinate amount of deflection goals (that I feel are just...tough), he's seemed rattled, he gets off of his game easily, and he hasn't made the big saves when needed.

With that said, against Minny and NJ I saw improvement. Not statistically alone, but mentally. I'm not one of those stats guys, I really don't think they paint an accurate pictures. I also feel the D plays worse around him for some odd reason. Bryz needs to be better, I'm not arguing that. Overall, he's been bad. Screw it, here are my points:

-He's been better the past 3 games. Yea he didn't shut down Boston, but they're the best team in the league and I don't blame a majority of the goals on him. Goal 5, all on him. But the D let him down, and some goals I just don't feel he had a shot. I don't think he played bad against Boston, just not good enough.
-I'm tired of seeing this crap about the team being not good enough. They're having problems, but I will go on the record saying they could pull it together, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Flyers won it all honestly. They're not playing their best hockey right now. But they're dead in the heat in the race, and they're far from just an nonthreatening team.

People are too negative on here. Bryz is currently under a microscope (for good reason), and I just feel it's not letting people see good performances and improvements.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Clyde Donovan

I felt like a proud father after that game. Ignoring the goaltending for a second, the Flyers came out really shorthanded without a lot of offensive threats and played the most physical game I have seen all year after being down 3 1 and got a point out of this thing. That really was a team bonding game even though they lost, and they out bullied the Bruins as far as I'm concerned. 3 out of 4 vs the Bruins and Devils is a job well done, and the physicality the Flyers brought tonight gets me excited for the future.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Devastate

I think bryz made a lot of those "game changing" saves we've been asking for, but unfortunately he didn't make two pretty routine saves.

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

http://hockeyprospectus.com/sortable/

There is no other way to put it. Bryzgalov has the 3rd worst GVT in the league. He's been marginally better than Steve Mason, who is basically playing at ECHL levels. Basically the only thing that separates them is the two games against the Devils, a good start to the season, and wanting to stick it to the Coyotes. I won't go off the deep end like other people, but by numbers, those who have are within reason to do so.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Jtown

Quote:
I would never argue he isn't having a bad season. I think his stats alone don't tell the whole story because he has let in an inordinate amount of deflection goals (that I feel are just...tough), he's seemed rattled, he gets off of his game easily, and he hasn't made the big saves when needed.

With that said, against Minny and NJ I saw improvement. Not statistically alone, but mentally. I'm not one of those stats guys, I really don't think they paint an accurate pictures. I also feel the D plays worse around him for some odd reason. Bryz needs to be better, I'm not arguing that. Overall, he's been bad. Screw it, here are my points:

-He's been better the past 3 games. Yea he didn't shut down Boston, but they're the best team in the league and I don't blame a majority of the goals on him. Goal 5, all on him. But the D let him down, and some goals I just don't feel he had a shot. I don't think he played bad against Boston, just not good enough.
-I'm tired of seeing this crap about the team being not good enough. They're having problems, but I will go on the record saying they could pull it together, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Flyers won it all honestly. They're not playing their best hockey right now. But they're dead in the heat in the race, and they're far from just an nonthreatening team.

People are too negative on here. Bryz is currently under a microscope (for good reason), and I just feel it's not letting people see good performances and improvements.
You bring up some very good points that pertain to hockey and to this message board. I too feel that Bryz will always be under a microscope no matter what he does. Hockey is a weird sport where the play of an individual can rest solely on his teammates. Goalie is a position where obviously having good teammates can change a persons performance. But Bryz has not been playing to his standards by any means this year. While i won't blast him as being the worst goalie in the world I will say that He has played much better in the past and that is the level We need him to get back to.

IN terms of your points on the negativity of the board. That is just how it goes sometimes. Some people take advantage of the anonymity the internet provides us. I think the message board and all message boards would be better served by asking if each statement of criticism could be made to the man we are criticizing. For instance, User000111 can say byrzgalov sucks and he should go back to russia, but can User000111 say that to the face of Ilya Bryzgalov? Doubtful. That is the standard I try to hold myself to, though I fail. But all in all when the flyers are winning this place is a pretty positive place.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:47 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

http://thehockeywriters.com/despite-...to-a-shootout/

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

So...Scott Hartnell is ranked 6th in the NHL in goals scored.

6th.

Scott Hartnell.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:11 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Quote:

well the thing is its all fine and good that Bryzgalov looks "good" against teams like Minnesota and NJ who no offense to those 2 clubs are not going to exactly strike fear in you offensively. The problem with Bryzgalov is hes been way to inconsistant this year.
Any team that has any kind of offensive depth has given him trouble.
Has he had some bad luck with some of the bounces? yeah sure, but not enough for me to think well hes not as bad as the numbers suggest. He is a goalie right now whos very fragile mentally. He gives up a bad goal and he cant put it behind him.
I havent liked his body language and his lateral movement all year. Its been an issue with him all season. Maybe it all comes down to the P word. pressure. Bryzgalov cant deal with it. He wasnt under the microscope in Phoenix, and probably wasnt with the Ducks either because he was a backup goalie.
So what are we up to now. a dozen games where hes allowed 4 or more goals. It is no excuse that hes having these games against teams with good offense. Some people want to chalk it up to well the Flyers played the best team in the NHL today so its "ok" he gave up 5 goals and looked like a ****ing retard in the shootout. its not. He was brought here for a reason. Not to dominate teams like Minnesota,NJ and the Isles.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:14 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Quote:

6th.

Scott Hartnell.
and hes not going to the allstar game. **** the one per team rule of having a rep.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:37 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

That was a hell of a game today. Lots of fight from our boys against one of the top teams in the league.

Too bad we lost the Homerun Hitting Contest!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:23 AM
flyingsouth

Quote:

6th.

Scott Hartnell.
Great isn't it?! Can't see him maintaining that pace, but here's hoping!

And as far as Bryz goes... Well, it's nice to see him playing better, but he still doesn't really inspire confidence. He wasn't as bad as the score suggests, but he's really got to stop leaking softies in EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:23 AM
BringBackStevens

It's truly amazing that someone can watch that game and come away thinking that bryz played anything but horrible

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:44 AM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
and hes not going to the allstar game. **** the one per team rule of having a rep.
wait so hartnell is for sure not going to make it in the allstar game? i thought they hadn't picked the alternates yet

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:49 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I noticed this too. Maybe that's why read lost the puck like that. Idk, TT is a d0uche for doing that but whatever I guess.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Hooah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
That was a hell of a game today. Lots of fight from our boys against one of the top teams in the league.

Too bad we lost the Homerun Hitting Contest!
trying to keep a positive outlook on this game. Play the cup champs who blew them out last time 6-0, missing significant contributors on offense, playing several AHL guys, a goalie with issues - and still manage to put 5 up on the board?!? and take to a SO. Much better than was anticipated outcome.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Suspended4Life

I'd have to say that even though we lost, this game was one of the most entertaining and hard-fought games of the season. Bryz had a few amazing saves, of course followed up with at least 2 softies, and had some poor defensive help.

But I can't believe no one is bringing up the fact that the refs seemed to be high yesterday, especially in the first period. That horrible call on Voracek (tripping), directly led to a goal against. I can't believe first off that that was called as tripping...I know there's been a higher awareness of slew-footing in the league (thanks, Suban) but come on - that was a terrible call that ended up as a Bruin goal. Even a Bruin fan will have to agree that the call was horrible.

And then you have the questionable interference on the blue line with Horton and Coburn...eh, I can honestly see both sides of the argument here. It did appear that Horton made an effort to push Coburn...his arms were clearly up in Coburn's chest. But then again you could make the argument that Horton just happened to run into Coburn. But either way, I fault Coburn. So you feel you've been interfered with - whatever, you still play until you hear a whistle!!!! Coburn seemed too worried about making sure the refs saw what just happened, that he let Lucic skate right behind him in their zone and fire the shot for a goal. Coburn literally could have reached over to prevent the shot from Lucic. Just piss poor judgment on that...and a piss poor goal by Bryz too.

We could have won that game by 2 goals.

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Any chance Jeff Reese is the problem?
I know Bryz needs to take some reponsibility himself, but I was thinking this too about Jeff Reese, maybe he's not the goalie coach that's going to get the best out of Bryz, I understand for that contract Bryz should be able to be coached by anyone really, but maybe it's like Lavy and his system certian players don't fit into it, maybe Bryz doesn't fit into what Reese wants him to do, either way they need to get someone in there to coach the **** out of Bryz or the next 8and a half years are going to be painful to watch

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
JonnyGaloshes

The Flyers and Bruins tied.

Call it what it really is and you won't feel so bad.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote