HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings are officially at the half way point.

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2006, 02:14 AM
braincramp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I just feel it's a ridiculous restriction that was put into practice to eliminate a good portion of the effective part of the two Marty's (Brodeur/Turco) game. Hey, wanna make 'em fair game behind the goal line? OK, I'll buy it, but I am just not down with this particular limitation. Surprisingly few penalties in the NHL for goaltenders accidentally playing the puck in these zones, but I would like them to have freedom of movement. In listening to various experts, I think it might be the one rule to go back to the way it was come next season.
Remember that the objective of the changes was to increase scoring in the league, and any change will have a negative effect on the player who functioned well under the circumstances being changed.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Osprey

Quote:
I do see your point, and it's a valid one, but I still feel the goaltender's restrictions limit the talent of the stickhandling goalie. I really love watching a guy like Brodeur play HIS game. I really hope this one is repealed.
I understand your point, but no one minds that the trap is less successful. Couldn't that be seen as restricting the talent of the coaches?

Old
01-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The trapezoid isn't preventing goalies from playing the puck all that much. Most times the puck does end up behind the net, or the goalies get to the puck before it advances to the restricted area. I still see Turco and Brodeur leading off a rush with a long pass.

Old
01-02-2006, 04:42 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

The trapezoid rule doesn't penalize the goalies who can stickhandle. It penalizes those that don't. The goalies who can stickhandle can get to the puck before it enters the restricted area or after it leaves the restricted area. It's the goalies who suck at handling the puck who will screw it up if they're forced to stop the puck before sliding into the "restricted" zone.

Old
01-02-2006, 08:25 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp
Remember that the objective of the changes was to increase scoring in the league, and any change will have a negative effect on the player who functioned well under the circumstances being changed.

Scoring isn't up all that much, if at all...

Old
01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Scoring isn't up all that much, if at all...
Care to provide any data for that claim?

Here is some refuting it
Quote:
Scoring up 25% in the new NHL

The 2005-06 season is now 100 games old and the initial results are positive. The multiple initiatives to increase scoring are working. At this point, teams are combining to score 6.4 goals per game, up from 5.1 goals in 03 and 5.3 goals in 02. This is a 25% increase over the 2003 seaosn. However this is still down from the 24 team early 90's 7.5 goals per game.
Quote:
Scoring is up 27 percent, with an average of 6.4 goals per game, compared with five in the pre-lockout season of 2003-04. The first month of the season has seen shooting-gallery games almost nightly: Hurricanes 8-6, Senators 10-4, Flyers 8-1.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...o/13091143.htm

Quote:
Teams scored a total of 1,112 goals, an average of 6.4 per game. The figure represents a 27% increase over the average of 5.0 goals scored in the first 174 games of the 2003-04 season.
http://www.hokejavestnesis.com/ARTIC...ctober2005.htm

Old
01-02-2006, 11:06 AM
King Blazer

I'd like to see them return to allowing goalies to play the puck anywhere, retain the trapezoid as a "safe zone" (no check) for the goalies BUT beyond the trapezoid limits, they're fair game...

Old
01-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Care to provide any data for that claim?

Here is some refuting it

Hey.....why screw up a perfectly good rant with facts.

Old
01-02-2006, 12:03 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Hey.....why screw up a perfectly good rant with facts.
(a) I didn't consider it a "rant"

(b) I was going on instinct, and the fact that when I listen to XM 204, they are constantly talking about how the rule changes were made to increase scoring, which hasn't really happened, so therefore, they are considering other rule changes for the following season(s) which might do so.

shoot me.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:09 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Teams scored an average of 5.3 goals per game in the 2003/4 regular season.
This season, the average total score is 6.3 goals per game, but where has the difference come from?

Each team is averaging an additional 2 power play opportunities per game (6.23 vs 4.23 in 03/4) and is scoring an average of 0.4 goals on those PPs (1.1 PPG vs 0.7 PPG per game in 03/4). The percentage of SHG allowed per game per team has also gone up from .099 in 03/4 to .127 so far this season.

So yes, scoring is up overall, but the vast majority of the increase (0.86 goals per game of the total 1 goal per game differential) has come because the referees are actually calling the penalties that have been on the books for years.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
So yes, scoring is up overall, but the vast majority of the increase (0.86 goals per game of the total 1 goal per game differential) has come because the referees are actually calling the penalties that have been on the books for years.
I agree with you, but... [epiphany upcoming]... many of those penalties are being called because the rule changes increase the amount of offense. When teams are able to generate more offensive pressure (from the red line being discounted to goalies not playing the puck in the trapezoid), the opposing teams are invariably going to take more penalties. Next time a player gets hauled down on a near-breakaway from a "two-line" pass or hauled down in the slot after the goalie was unable to clear the puck, consider what really created that chance and subsequent penalty.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-02-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old
01-02-2006, 02:47 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I agree with you, but... [epiphany upcoming]... many of those penalties are being called because the rule changes increase the amount of offense.
No, I agree with YOU, but.....IMO had the hooking, holding and interference been called as closely last season as it is being called this season, the scoring would have increased to just about this level.

Closed Thread