HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top Five Crowds in the NHL?

Old
01-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Anodyne

vCash: 500
1. Montreal
2. Winnipeg
3. Philadelphia
4. Minnesota
5. Boston

For cities that sellout, Vancouver and Toronto don't come close to cracking the list. Calgary's also gotten brutal in recent years.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:24 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
last time the sens played at the bell centre the montreal crowd booed a stoppage in play because the puck hit the netting.

that's intense.

01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Can't include Winnipeg. It's their first year, so once the novelty of having an NHL team wears off, we'll see where they are.

Also, Nashville is ridiculously loud.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 01-23-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:25 AM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQV View Post
Really not sure about Boston. They usually fill the arena very well but the crowd tends to sit on its hands a lot IMO. Things don't usually get loud unless there's a goal, etc.
I think the word you're looking there is "fight" - they cheered more for a hit or fight then a goal. Very passionate hockey fans, but more blue collar it seemed

I've been to 6 so far (all leafs games) and it goes:

1) Mtl
2) Carolina (VERY underrated!)
3) Boston
4) Buffalo (1/2 leafs haha)
5) Ottawa
6) Toronto

I'd imagine at the end of seeing all 30 it will be:

1) WPG
2) MTL
3) CHI

4-10 should be pretty close and then the drop off from there.

30Rinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVShark View Post
1 San Jose
2 Calgary

3 Montreal
4 Minnesota
5 Winnipeg

Detroit was the biggest disappointment. When I went to a wings game. When the players come out to start the game, the fans don't even stand up to cheer for them. Another thing is that when the Wings score only about half the fans actually stand up to cheer.
lolwut

San Jose is good, but #1? Not even close.

And Calgary....

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:29 AM
billybobjoe1881

Are we talking playoffs or Regular season. Regular season MTL & WPG are right at the top and playoffs Canadian teams are way higher than anybody else. My aunt had to leave an Oilers, Ducks game after the 2nd because the noise made her feel nauseous.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Syckle78

I wouldn't put Detroit. The crowds can be pretty crazy for the playoffs and big games, but for the average regular season game they are pretty meh. This might be the case for a lot of crowds, but I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge with the rest.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Sabres are definitely in the bottom 5...boring team, bored (quiet) fans.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Can't include Winnipeg. It's their first year, so once the novelty of having an NHL team wears off, we'll see where they are.

Also, Nashville is ridiculously loud.
I agree with both these points. Not to knock the Peg, but lets wait and see.

Nashville crowds are great. I remember pretty much everyone finding this out in the playoffs last year.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Are we talking playoffs or Regular season. Regular season MTL & WPG are right at the top and playoffs Canadian teams are way higher than anybody else. My aunt had to leave an Oilers, Ducks game after the 2nd because the noise made her feel nauseous.
That's weird! Aunts are always a little goofy.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Chicago's might be good when the team is good, but when they are bad, no one is there.

When St. Louis plays Nashville in Nashville, there is always a lot of Blues fans and this season it was near half, so I don't think they should be near the top.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Faryn

Quote:
I agree the Oilers have a very loyal fan base who just haven't had much to cheer about lately give us a couple years and rexall will be one of the loudest and hardest places to play in again.

As it stands arena's were the teams are playing good will be the loudest but its difficult to say because it really changes from year to year well not normally that drastic but you get my point. I would have to say personally that the best crowds are the places were no matter what is going on they always sell out.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:39 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
In no particular order:

Montreal
Winnipeg
Philadelphia
Boston
Chicago
Flip flop Chicago and Boston are your pretty much dead on. Hard to include Winnipeg though as this is their first year, so of course their crowd would be pumped up every home game. But this season, they are definitely one of the best. I'd sub Nashville in instead if we were counting the last couple years. Awesome crowd.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Islanderfan17

Islander fans can get extremely loud when given something to cheer for, the Coliseum exploded when JT scored the OT winner against Carolina the other night.

*Insert attendance shot here*

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeighDx13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVShark View Post
1 San Jose
2 Calgary
3 Montreal
4 Minnesota
5 Winnipeg

Detroit was the biggest disappointment. When I went to a wings game. When the players come out to start the game, the fans don't even stand up to cheer for them. Another thing is that when the Wings score only about half the fans actually stand up to cheer.
It all depends. If we are talking Playoff's, then Detroit is easily one of the best and loudest crowds in the NHL behind some of the obvious ones. During the Regular Season its extremely hit or miss for sure. Some games like the comeback loss to Pittsburgh is loud and feels like a Playoff game. Some other games are just like you mentioned. Like right now during the winning streak at home it has been pretty loud, it just all depends. Though I do completely agree, Detroit doesnt really stand and cheer when they come on the ice.

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:40 AM
vickpeterson

Winnipen AINEC. That one game against Phoenix was total chaos the whooooooole game, watch the highlights
Also, Oilers 2006 cup run. Never have i seen such a loud rink. Only team that could beat that is if Winnipeg made the playoffs this year

vickpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Faryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
That's weird! Aunts are always a little goofy.
CBC had a a decibel reader at one of the playoff games in Edmonton during the 2006 run and it was said to be louder then a jet plain taking off.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LVShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
lolwut

San Jose is good, but #1? Not even close.

And Calgary....
I put SJ first because they are the loudest I believe when it comes to playoffs. As far as Calgary I put them 2 because every time I see a game on TV everyone is wearing a CGY jersey.

LVShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
I agree the Oilers have a very loyal fan base who just haven't had much to cheer about lately give us a couple years and rexall will be one of the loudest and hardest places to play in again.

As it stands arena's were the teams are playing good will be the loudest but its difficult to say because it really changes from year to year well not normally that drastic but you get my point. I would have to say personally that the best crowds are the places were no matter what is going on they always sell out.
Did they approve plans for a new arena in Edmonton? If so, when will it open?

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:42 AM
billybobjoe1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
CBC had a a decibel reader at one of the playoff games in Edmonton during the 2006 run and it was said to be louder then a jet plain taking off.
So it was louder than WPG?

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Habitat

If we're talking about playoffs, this is the loudest crowd I have ever seen

Habitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Syckle78

Edmonton fans are absolutely insane loud. One of my first memories of hockey was way back around 1987 watching the Oils playoff games on CBC. Holy **** it seemed like the entire arena was shaking, it was amazing even through the television back then which pretty much sucked next to today's rigs.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:44 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
Yea there should be a regular season vs playoffs crowd, but not every team makes the playoffs so we can only go with what we know. If that's the case though as far playoff crowds, San Jose is definitely up there. In fact.. I remember a poll with players saying that was one of the most intimidating places to play in the playoffs with Chicago and Montreal right there too.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:45 AM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Islander fans can get extremely loud when given something to cheer for, the Coliseum exploded when JT scored the OT winner against Carolina the other night.

*Insert attendance shot here*
Every arena will be booming on an OT winner lol. The coliseum doesn't belong in this conversation. Neither does msg. Too pricy for the real die hards.

Mtl is number one by far IMO. I'll never forget when they came back from a 5 goal deficit to beat the rangers in mtl. The crowd was going nuts even while they were down 5 goals. Crowds like that help win games

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Martin Brodeur on playing in the Verizon center:
"I just kind of lost it a sea of red there. I was talking to [Johan Hedberg] that any time they shot the puck high it was a big adventure out there because we’re not used to playing in a building like that."

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote