HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Draft Watch

Old
01-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why is that good times? I don't want the Oilers to draft last again, unless it means we won the lottery as the 5th worst team.
At this point we might as well tank as hard as we can.

The difference between a no.1 pick and a no.5 pick can be the difference between a Sidney Crosby and a Gilbert Brule.

The better player we get out of this draft, the faster we likely get out of this mess. If we don't get a massive impact player from this year's draft ... we're going to be stuck in this quicksand trap forever I think.

Hall/RNH/Eberle is great ... but that's one line. It's easy for other teams to gang up on our kids like this. Shut them down and the Oilers are basically kaput.

We need another dominant forward to anchor our 2nd line or a stud no.1 d-man and it becomes a bit of a crapshoot after pick no.3.

Last edited by Soundwave: 01-21-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
At this point we might as well tank as hard as we can.

The difference between a no.1 pick and a no.5 pick can be the difference between a Sidney Crosby and a Gilbert Brule.

The better player we get out of this draft, the faster we likely get out of this mess. If we don't get a massive impact player from this year's draft ... we're going to be stuck in this quicksand trap forever I think.

Hall/RNH/Eberle is great ... but that's one line. It's easy for other teams to gang up on our kids like this. Shut them down and the Oilers are basically kaput.

We need another dominant forward to anchor our 2nd line or a stud no.1 d-man and it becomes a bit of a crapshoot after pick no.3.
Bingo. Add into that Paajarvi's and Hartikainen's regression, Pitlick's and Hamilton's slow start to their pro career's, and we need to make this next pick count in case these guys don't end up being better than bottom 6 guys.

01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Columbus with at least a point tonight - 6 points back.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
They also lost a important defenceman in Nikita Nikitin.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
They are on the road. Have a bunch of difficult games, so I don't see them getting many points in the next 5 games. So far it appears that it'll be hard to catch up with CBJ. But you never know.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Fail for Nail and Klefbom.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Grapes99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
They are on the road. Have a bunch of difficult games, so I don't see them getting many points in the next 5 games. So far it appears that it'll be hard to catch up with CBJ. But you never know.
Our next 5 games....Sharks, Avs, Canucks, Blackhawks, Wings.

Grapes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
oilers4cup
Col. Klink

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapes99 View Post
Our next 5 games....Sharks, Avs, Canucks, Blackhawks, Wings.
It could be Blue Jackets , Sabres , Hurricane , Islanders , Lightning what's the difference

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:35 PM
SDig14

Are we supposed to be using this as the new draft thread since the other one was closed this afternoon?

Anyways, am I the only one that thinks Stu and Co. are not going to like Yakupov's attitude in the combine interviews? I'm not sure what it is, maybe he just can't express himself well in English, but something about him rubs me the wrong way.

Obviously, I saw RNH about a dozen times going into the draft, so I ended up seeing Dumba 6 times live last year, 2 of them being in the playoffs, so there's no surprise I'm a pretty big fan of his game.

I am kind of hoping we end up in the 3-5 spot and get to pick him up, he brings a lot of things we could use on the backend. He loves to be physical, he fights and stands up for teammates, he skates really well, makes a good first pass, and has a big RH shot from the point and can be both a trigger man and setup guy on the PP.

I've said it numerous times before that he needs to learn the risk/reward part of the game, because sometimes he doesn't time when he jumps in the rush right and he tries to dangle his way out of his own end at times, but I think he will learn in time.

As a bonus, the kid oozes character, work ethic, and leadership, so he would be a solid addition to the room as well.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:52 PM
oilers92

someone mentioned a weird stat for the oil this yr there playing roughly .500 hockey against playoff teams but there something like 4-17 against non-playoff teams

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Koto

I dont have any problem with Yakupov's attitude, i dont want him because hes not big, hes a winger, and people (of the non credible variety) are saying he skates like bure and may have chronic knee issues.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Spawn

I haven't really given much attention to the draft this year. The last couple years I was on board with the whole build up, but the interest hasn't been there for me this year.

If Grigorenko and Yakupov go 1+2 (whatever order) is there a consensus #3 to go after? (For some reason I assume the Oilers are going to draft 3rd. Finish 2nd last and someone behind us wins the lottery).

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I haven't really given much attention to the draft this year. The last couple years I was on board with the whole build up, but the interest hasn't been there for me this year.

If Grigorenko and Yakupov go 1+2 (whatever order) is there a consensus #3 to go after? (For some reason I assume the Oilers are going to draft 3rd. Finish 2nd last and someone behind us wins the lottery).
If we were to draft #3 the BPA will likely be a defenseman, Murray or Dumba, see here:
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:48 AM
5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
someone mentioned a weird stat for the oil this yr there playing roughly .500 hockey against playoff teams but there something like 4-17 against non-playoff teams
The Oilers are now 13-12 versus playoff teams and 4-18 versus non playoff teams.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Cerebral

Ryan Murray has 9 points in 10 games since getting back to Everett from the WJCs. That's not too shabby given how low-scoring Everett is.

Heck, Murray's 46 points in 70 games last year doesn't look all that impressive but it changes a bit when you realize that those 46 points put him second on Everett in scoring (the leading scorer, Tyler Maxwell, had 66 points, and the next closest scorer had 36).

The Niedermayer comparison has been thrown around a lot and I certainly see some of him in Murray's game. Niedermayer had a few big years in Anaheim but he was generally a 45 point scorer on those low-scoring New Jersey teams.

Murray's top-end offensive potential probably isn't quite as high as Niedermayer's but he still projects to be a solid two-way guy. If Yakupov and Grigorenko are off the board when the Oilers pick, I would probably side with Murray over someone like Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

01-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
The Oilers are now 13-12 versus playoff teams and 4-18 versus non playoff teams.
8 of those wins against playoff teams did come in the first 12 games of the season when the Oilers went 8-2-2 though. They've been just as bad against playoff teams as non-playoff teams since then.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:39 AM
LaGu

Quote:
8 of those wins against playoff teams did come in the first 12 games of the season when the Oilers went 8-2-2 though. They've been just as bad against playoff teams as non-playoff teams since then.
I don't get it, if 8 of those came in the first 12 games, and we just throw those wins out, we're still 5-12 vs playoff teams and 4-18 against non-playoff teams. That's still a significant difference (by factor of 2) but maybe I'm missing something.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
That's the problem with drawing these kinds of arbitrary lines. First X games, Last Y games. X wins in the last Y played. A record of X-Y-Z in the month of Febtember.

The result generally obfuscates instead of illuminates.

My all-time favourite is on the importance of Ryan Stone in the lineup. Tencer liked to use that one a lot.

The aggregate is all that matters. 17 wins in 47 games. The Oilers are a terrible team. I don't understand why anyone (not on the Oilers payroll) would bother to argue with that.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote