HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Devin Setoguchi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2012, 08:52 PM
  #26
D U M B A
Registered User
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He's turned his game around. Needed a change of atmosphere. Has been one of our more reliable d-men this year when injuries hit. His poor play in recent years will help you resign him at a bargain as a rfa.
You're right that's really turned his game around this year. I watch the Penguins as much as the Wild so I can attest to that.

On one hand, our coaches play similar systems. So that wouldn't be the hardest transition. On the other, my fear about bringing in him is he's from Minnesota and that that might be too much pressure for him. Keep in mind, he'd be expected to rectify a god awful defense on the Wild.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
  #27
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Wild should hold onto him. He's still really streaky, and Sharks fans said this for years but it's still true, but if he finds consistency he'll be one hell of a player. He's a terror to play against when he's on.
Agreed - he makes things happen offensively few Wild players do.
Young, good contract: no reason to trade him.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:19 PM
  #28
usernam*
#TeamSuccess
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
The thing about Setoguchi is he can be a short-term AND long-term fix for our problems.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
  #29
mkoivu9*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
1st for Setoguchi plus a warm body in Niskanen is great.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:35 PM
  #30
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Why not?

Seto is good for what? 15-20 goals a year if he's healthy.

He was apart of package that included a 1st to grab Burns, who is a good defenseman but really? We overvalue Seto that much that a 1st in a deep draft isn't worth a streaky forward?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:03 PM
  #31
Wild33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
It would be a very late first as well. I hate how much these draft picks are valued at on this board when it is a total crap shoot if that pick will pan out. Grabbing a bunch of first round picks doesn't mean you are going to become good. Chicago/Pittsburgh/Washington found elite players with lottery picks. You look at Edmonton who I see is aways off yet from being worth anything and teams such as Columbus/NY Islanders have failed at this method.

Once you trade a guy like Setoguchi off this club, the next day you are going out and looking for the exact same player.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
  #32
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post

Once you trade a guy like Setoguchi off this club, the next day you are going out and looking for the exact same player.
Or let some of your rookies step up.

Seto is streaky at best and head-banging frustrating at worst.

He's also had some injuries already and has been bumped down from first line duty.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
  #33
Wild33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Or let some of your rookies step up.

Seto is streaky at best and head-banging frustrating at worst.

He's also had some injuries already and has been bumped down from first line duty.
And Wild fans need to understand that our prospects are good, yes they are good and I am as excited as anyone to see them play at the NHL but they are very good right now at the level they are playing. You aren't going to have three 20 goal scoring rookies come into the league next year. They will be 20 year olds fresh out of juniors/college and if you tell me any of them outside of Granlund will make an impact like Setoguchi has on this team you are nuts. You must of missed the 2011 playoffs and not watched a Sharks game. Setoguchi can and will have an impact like that on the Wild.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:29 PM
  #34
tyratoku
Registered User
 
tyratoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,515
vCash: 500
I have not been a fan of Seto at all in Minnesota this year, but I would not trade him for Niskanen and a 1st.

Nisk has been playing well from what I understand, but we don't know if he will continue to be Pittsburgh Niskanen or Dallas Niskanen.

Personally, I'd go after a guy like Morrow or Despres, as a young defender who can step in next season.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:24 AM
  #35
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,567
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
What about Matt Kassian for Shep then?
That's awesome. I believe he means 10 year old's though. At least in my experience with that game it usually is.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:26 AM
  #36
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,567
vCash: 827
I haven't given up on Seto yet. Hell, I hardly even dislike the guy. It's not like he's the only Wild player struggling right now. Pretty sure you could add the entire team to that list. Forget about the consistency, the guy just needs to learn to play a little better defensively because he's almost all offense.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:26 AM
  #37
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post
You aren't going to have three 20 goal scoring rookies come into the league next year.
Why would we need three?

We got Heatley, Koivu, Cullen, and then if we need Granlund or Phillips or Coyle or whoever. And then if Bouchard comes back we would need only one player, which we could sign.

Quote:
They will be 20 year olds fresh out of juniors/college and if you tell me any of them outside of Granlund will make an impact like Setoguchi has on this team you are nuts.
You mean the guy on pace for 34 points this season?

Quote:
You must of missed the 2011 playoffs and not watched a Sharks game. Setoguchi can and will have an impact like that on the Wild.
He's already going to have a very low shot total. He hasn't really fit in and I don't see him making that impact on the Wild. If he can squeeze out 20 goals a season. Great.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:44 AM
  #38
fearthetrap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Our defense is terrible.
3 of our top 6 are out.
Our top 6 isn't that great to begin with.
Seto has had I don't even know how many different linemates.

You are asking for consistency from a guy on a very inconsistent roster. Lets get Koivu back and give this top line until the end of the year.

fearthetrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:25 AM
  #39
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthetrap View Post
Our defense is terrible.
Which means what to a winger?

Quote:
3 of our top 6 are out.
Two of which didn't really play with him (Lats and Butch). Koivu I can semi-agree but he had been moved off that line.

Quote:
Our top 6 isn't that great to begin with.
Actually it was pretty solid until Butch and Lats got themselves injured. But we still have Cullen and Brodie for centers.

Quote:
Seto has had I don't even know how many different linemates.
So has a few other of our players that have been playing well.

Quote:
You are asking for consistency from a guy on a very inconsistent roster. Lets get Koivu back and give this top line until the end of the year.
End of the year. End of next year? Wait, end of the year after that.

Consistency was one thing Sharks warned us about Setoguchi.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:37 AM
  #40
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks
 
Raym11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
**** he was looking so promising in San Jose until the last couple years. I honestly think his problem is his hockey sense. He is so streaky but his speed and his ability to get a shot off so quick, i really expected him to be challenging 30 goals with ease by now.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:50 AM
  #41
fearthetrap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Which means what to a winger?

Well when you have defensemen that can move the puck out of the zone and around on the power play it really helps the forwards chances of putting the puck in the net.

Two of which didn't really play with him (Lats and Butch). Koivu I can semi-agree but he had been moved off that line.

The more you take away without equal parts replacing them the harder it is going to be to score. When Koivu goes down Cullen has to be a top line center which he is not. That means Brodziak has to be a second line center which he is not. This also means there are fewer lines opposing teams have to grind down. A line of Mcmillian - peters - johnson is not as talented as Bouchard - Koivu - Latendresse

Actually it was pretty solid until Butch and Lats got themselves injured. But we still have Cullen and Brodie for centers.

No it wasnt. I am homer and hoped for playoffs, but we had goalies playing out of their mind and we were barely scoring goals to begin with. Our team was not projected for the playoffs by most analysts for good reason. But then players bought into the system and Will beats skill when skill has no will. We finally have a competent GM that has drafted some kids who have promise, it is going to take time to compete.

So has a few other of our players that have been playing well.

I don't know who is really playing "well". I could argue clutterbuck who always gives 100 percent effort and nick johnson who already played under a very similar system. Also the many men we called up who played under Yeo before.

End of the year. End of next year? Wait, end of the year after that.

Consistency was one thing Sharks warned us about Setoguchi.
Consistency is a funny word and I will agree Setoguchi hasn't been that. But I really don't see a reason to trade him. He will surely end up with 20 goals and is a young shooter on a great contract. If we could actually get a defensemen worth putting in a top 4 we might play better hockey. I don't think there are a lot of guys we can get that will net us 30 goals. So we should probably hold onto the ones giving us 20. We are not in a great position, we have to keep our picks and draft well. We are not a free agency top destination and because of that it is hard to aquire talent. Burns was our biggest chip and it netted us quite a bit. We are in a tough spot and we should be happy with the prospects Fletch has got us so far.

*I answered your questions above they just aren't separated.


Last edited by fearthetrap: 01-23-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: did not appear as I thought it would
fearthetrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:32 AM
  #42
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tim Hortons
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Which means what to a winger?


Defensemen play a huge role in the play of wingers..?

From an offensive standpoint, a good skating and/or good first-pass PMD is critical to getting the offense started.

Then obviously, if a winger has to overwork on defense because of bad play from the DMen, he'll get worn out there.

Haven't watched a lot of the wild, but to act like bad play from D won't affect the forwards is incorrect.

As for the deal, not sure a late 1st + Niskanen does anything for the Wild. Niskanen has turned his game around for the Pens, but he's still on the lower end of a 3/4 Dman than the upper end, imo, and the first doesn't do much.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:39 AM
  #43
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,966
vCash: 500
Not a big fan of Niskanen to be honest. That first round pick wouldn't have any sort of impact on the Wild for a few seasons as well, which would likely be key for the Wild as they want to start their upswing (in theory) next season. Seto (and the whole team) aren't playing that hot right now but I don't know whether or not I'd be willing to move him without some real incentive. Some of the Pens more highly touted defensive prospects in Major Junior come to mind...

That may end the conversation for Pittsburgh, though.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:42 AM
  #44
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen
 
Pelican Peach Pen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA & GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Not a big fan of Niskanen to be honest. That first round pick wouldn't have any sort of impact on the Wild for a few seasons as well, which would likely be key for the Wild as they want to start their upswing (in theory) next season. Seto (and the whole team) aren't playing that hot right now but I don't know whether or not I'd be willing to move him without some real incentive. Some of the Pens more highly touted defensive prospects in Major Junior come to mind...

That may end the conversation for Pittsburgh, though.
You got it. Seto would be nice on the Pens, but not THAT nice.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:25 AM
  #45
Bobsyouruncle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post
It would be a very late first as well. I hate how much these draft picks are valued at on this board when it is a total crap shoot if that pick will pan out. Grabbing a bunch of first round picks doesn't mean you are going to become good. Chicago/Pittsburgh/Washington found elite players with lottery picks. You look at Edmonton who I see is aways off yet from being worth anything and teams such as Columbus/NY Islanders have failed at this method.

Once you trade a guy like Setoguchi off this club, the next day you are going out and looking for the exact same player.

Picks are totally still worth their value just because teams like edmonton CBJ and NYI bring their prospects in too early and are hurt often and without leadership not to mention the goaltending issues that those 3 teams are dealing with.

Bobsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
  #46
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post
And Wild fans need to understand that our prospects are good, yes they are good and I am as excited as anyone to see them play at the NHL but they are very good right now at the level they are playing. You aren't going to have three 20 goal scoring rookies come into the league next year. They will be 20 year olds fresh out of juniors/college and if you tell me any of them outside of Granlund will make an impact like Setoguchi has on this team you are nuts. You must of missed the 2011 playoffs and not watched a Sharks game. Setoguchi can and will have an impact like that on the Wild.
Stranger things have been known to happen.

The 76-77 Minnesota North Stars had 4 20 goal rookies, Eriksson, Sharpley, Jensen, and Pirus.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:45 AM
  #47
El Nino22
Registered User
 
El Nino22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
I haven't really been following the discussion here, but I would want to hold onto to Seto. It's really way too early for Fletcher to give up on him and besides that he has looked really good as of late. One of our few forwards that is consistently dangerous for the last few games and hopefully the goals will start to come. He has 2 in his last 5.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
  #48
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 24,065
vCash: 50
I don't want to give up Seto. post injury he's been our best forward on a nightly basis.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.