HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you support the Habs moving back to 2313 Saint Catherine Street?

Old
01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Corncob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
your not answering my question,why hasn't Canadian Gov't moved out and built new Parliament buildings? ,built in 1859 and 1866
Because the ones they have are perfectly adequate for their needs? Not really sure how that supports your argument in any way whatsoever.

You are advocating moving out of an adequate building, which is the complete opposite (obviously) of not moving out of one.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
no, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Habarenos, you are one of the strangest posters in this board.
You said it much more nicely than I would have.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:41 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Bring back the FORUM I love that building it is a memorable place to watch a game and should have always been the home of the HABS.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:

1859 and 1866 the Parliament buildings were constructed in OTTAWA...why don't they build new ones?

The Whitehouse was built 1792 and 1800 why don't they build a new one?

Maybe that will help many of you get it ..
WTH do these two buildings have to do with hockey?!? It's not like they had to build a new Parliament or Whitehouse to be able to increase revenues and remain competitive. They don't play hockey or have concerts in these buildings. Once again, NOT COMPARABLE!!!

Remaining in the sports world:

Why did the Bruins build a new stadium?
Why did the Leafs build a new stadium?
Why did the Hawks build a new stadium?
Why did the Yankees build a new stadium?

Just like the Habs, they all were playing in historical stadiums but moved nonetheless. Stop living in the past, you'll be a happier person.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
I'm talking about going back to the land.....2313

Obviously the roof would need to come off to add few more seats(there goes columns or could be addressed then)

THE INSIDES WOULD BE REDONE IN 2012 style ...

The Bell Centre might have what other 15-20 years left?Hockey rinks last about less than 40 years today.
So basically we transform the forum into the bell center 2.0? Do I need to point out how silly this is?

FlyingKostitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

do you realise what kind of investment you're talking about?

have you even been around the forum lately? the place is a dump

it looks like the slumps

first of all, you have to rebuild the forum that in itself makes your whole point irrelevant.
this would be a new arena not the old forum

second, the reason that arenas and their owners are able to stay afloat is cause they get revenue from concerts

if there was an areana only for hockey games you are essentially stuck having to hire twice the amount of employees
there are unions at play, there are merchand contracts at play, there are corporate booths at play

third, the area around it would need to be revamped, atwater metro, place alexis nihon and all that stretch of st-catherines...the one where noone wants to open a business

so unless you want to be paying 400$ for nosebleeds to offset costs, good luck

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
That Packers argument could be somewhat good. But you can't compare an open air stadium, which is a simple structure, to an enclosed arena, stuck in between other buildings, that has been stripped of everything arena related.

Rebuilding the Forum for today's standards would be the most ridiculous thing building related in the history of Quebec, and god knows Quebec did some stupid things.

Here is my suggestion for Nostalgia purposes, why not just rename Bell Centre to Bell Forum ?

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post

it looks like the slumps

first of all, you have to rebuild the forum that in itself makes your whole point irrelevant.
this would be a new arena not the old forum

second, the reason that arenas and their owners are able to stay afloat is cause they get revenue from concerts

if there was an areana only for hockey games you are essentially stuck having to hire twice the amount of employees
there are unions at play, there are merchand contracts at play, there are corporate booths at play

third, the area around it would need to be revamped, atwater metro, place alexis nihon and all that stretch of st-catherines...the one where noone wants to open a business

so unless you want to be paying 400$ for nosebleeds to offset costs, good luck

As i said , how much will moving from Bell Cost in next 15-20 yrs?
I figure 850 million or more.

You say Forum looks like a dump?

Here is a dump before

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/World/2010..._place_100504/

Do yourself a favor,watch this 2 minute and 21 second video

Here is the same dump after 1 YEAR!!!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vi...873/story.html

WHY NOT MONTREAL FORUM???

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Just for the record, how did you figure the price of 850 million?

And why could the Bell Centre not be upgraded if required in 15-20 years time?

I'm not sure that you can consistently argue on one hand that a 90 year old building can easily be restored to stage NHL hockey and on the other that a 15 year old building will be obselete in the next two decades....

Old
01-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Just for the record, how did you figure the price of 850 million?

And why could the Bell Centre not be upgraded if required in 15-20 years time?

I'm not sure that you can consistently argue on one hand that a 90 year old building can easily be restored to stage NHL hockey and on the other that a 15 year old building will be obselete in the next two decades....
Why are Flames wanting to move out of Saddledome ..how old?
Buildings today last less than 40 years...

The Bell Centre cost 240 Million.....

Today 450-600 million to build a new one..

Fast forward 20 more years....

You don't think atleast $850 million?I'm probably little low in that math. ..

Anyways, if you watched that video of the total transformation of BC place ,you can see how the Forum could be brought back ...

If you understand the power of the fans like in Green Bay , it would be real easy .
Montreal fans would embrace,buy in ,and redo the Forum, in a heart beat.
The connection never left ......there is a reason the Montreal Forum still stands,and Yankee stadium has been demolished.

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-22-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

In 20 years, it will cost a whole lot less to renovate the Bell Centre than to renovate the Forum.

I suspect you're hoping the magic would come back if the Habs were to move back to the Forum. Sorry to say this but it won't. You would need the Habs to be a Dynasty for that to happen but those days are long gone. What made the Forum special was the Richard's, the Béliveau's, the Dryden's, Lafleur, Cournoyer, Robinson, etc... not the other way around.

If the Habs were playing at the Forum today, people would still be complaining about the team sucking, the coach not speaking french, Subban's mistakes, etc... There would be nothing magical about it and just about nobody would be saying "well at least they are playing at the Forum".

Quote:

If you polled the Montreal fans i bet you 85-90% would say return to old Forum .....

Don't need to make a poll. Judging by the reaction here, most people are against the idea and with good reason. Certainly not scientific but if you disregard the sarcastic posts and those that have no opinion, 25 are against the idea of moving back to the Forum and 3 are for it. That is 89% against it.

Thankfully we prefer looking forward than to live in a past that will never come back.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:22 PM
HeyTony

Why don't they just rename the Bell Centre and call it the Montreal Forum or The Bell Forum? Boston's arena used to be called the Fleet Centre, now its the TD Gahden. The building won't make a great team.. Good management will make a great team.

HeyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTony View Post
Why don't they just rename the Bell Centre and call it the Montreal Forum or The Bell Forum? Boston's arena used to be called the Fleet Centre, now its the TD Gahden. The building won't make a great team.. Good management will make a great team.

yep

the team on the ice matters the most
that is what wins and loses hockey games

the forum we all know and love is gone
even if we restore it it wont be the same
the bell center is the new home now and has built up some good games in it too

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You say Forum looks like a dump?

Here is a dump before

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/World/2010..._place_100504/

Do yourself a favor,watch this 2 minute and 21 second video

Here is the same dump after 1 YEAR!!!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vi...873/story.html

WHY NOT MONTREAL FORUM???
whats wrong with you??
you call out my point about the AREA being a dump with an argument and video of BC place being rebuilt????

why did you completely ignore my point about the area?
You realise the childrens hospital is in talks to leave the area...do you know how many businesses have closed cause of how bad the are is and cause of the buildings falling apart
That area has been a source for issues for the city for years...how old are you?
have you even been to the area
why did you completely ignore the point and the packers having moved to lambau from a previous stadium when someone called you out on you greenbay comparisson?

and why the hell do you bring up gov't buildings as an example...how are they even comparable?

you wont be able to keep an arena open just for hockey games
since in your scenario the bell center would exist for concerts and this new forum of yours only for hockey to you have any idea what the price of tickets will be to be able to keep it running without the additional income from concerts and shows?

and finally, you are asking to rebuild the forum, so essentially it IS NOT the old forum, it's a new forum one that will look more like the Bell center than the old forum...this will not be the forum

and they cant expand the building...you cant just grow higher you have to grow wider and you cant make the currents forum footprint wider

and before you ask, i've been to more games in the forum than the bell center and i prefer the bell center as much as i miss the forum atmosphere

Old
01-22-2012, 11:33 PM
SB164

Quote:

it looks like the slumps
To be fair, with the opening of the huge Seville condominiums project, that neighbourhood should most likely see "new life."

Anyways, I'm often around that area and it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound. With the Alexis Nihon mall, the office buildings, the students from Dawson College, and the children's hospital, it's usually quite busy.

Last edited by SB164: 01-22-2012 at 11:39 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
To be fair, with the opening of the huge Seville condominiums project, that neighbourhood should most likely see "new life."

Anyways, I'm often around that area and it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound. With the Alexis Nihon mall, the office buildings, the students from Dawson College, and the children's hospital, it's usually quite busy.
during the day, the area gets traffic, however by the time a gmae starts it's dead and there's nothing do around there...the only thing open late worth doing is in the forum right now

the childrens has been trying to relocate for the last 2 years and alexis nihon has trouble maintaining merchants.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:28 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

The Habs don't owe you anything, nor does our history make us superior to anyone else.
History can't protect a team that is misguided -- but dismissing the direct influences that history has is a huge failure on your part. History doesn't make decisions or draft players -- but it creates pride, support, values and forms a community.

And once this team is back on track, all that energy only helps it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:28 AM
danyhabsfan

Why not take the Bell center into the Olympic stadium?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:32 AM
capebretoncanadien

Count another vote in the 'no' category.

What a ridiculous idea.

Maybe it might've been possible before they built the Bell Centre but no freaking way now.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:33 AM
SherbrookeW

The area is in need of an upgrade, but the Bell Center sort of lacks a neighborhood...this is a lovely, impractical idea, which does underline a problem -- that the move to the Bell in the first place wasn't well thought through in terms of the team's image. It should have remained the Forum at least in name, as Yankee Stadium remains Yankee Stadium.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Buildings today last less than 40 years...

The Bell Centre cost 240 Million.....

Today 450-600 million to build a new one..

Fast forward 20 more years....

You don't think atleast $850 million?I'm probably little low in that math. ..
Your argument cannot be 'buildings today last less than 40 years' when you are campaigning to move back to a 90 year old one.

So, explain why they would need to move from the Bell Centre in 20 years. Why can't that building be renovated 20 years down the line for a lot less money in real terms than it would cost to 'renovate' the Forum right now?

Old
01-23-2012, 04:08 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

brilliant...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
whats wrong with you??
you call out my point about the AREA being a dump with an argument and video of BC place being rebuilt????

why did you completely ignore my point about the area?
You realise the childrens hospital is in talks to leave the area...do you know how many businesses have closed cause of how bad the are is and cause of the buildings falling apart
That area has been a source for issues for the city for years...how old are you?
have you even been to the area
why did you completely ignore the point and the packers having moved to lambau from a previous stadium when someone called you out on you greenbay comparisson?

and why the hell do you bring up gov't buildings as an example...how are they even comparable?

you wont be able to keep an arena open just for hockey games
since in your scenario the bell center would exist for concerts and this new forum of yours only for hockey to you have any idea what the price of tickets will be to be able to keep it running without the additional income from concerts and shows?

and finally, you are asking to rebuild the forum, so essentially it IS NOT the old forum, it's a new forum one that will look more like the Bell center than the old forum...this will not be the forum

and they cant expand the building...you cant just grow higher you have to grow wider and you cant make the currents forum footprint wider

and before you ask, i've been to more games in the forum than the bell center and i prefer the bell center as much as i miss the forum atmosphere

Your too much drama.
Do you UNDERSTAND the word REDEVELOPMENT???
Just not redevelopment of the FORUM but of the area around it...

Not hard to comprehend, if they went back the whole area would be redeveloped and alive AGAIN with stores, restaurants etc .

Take a look here at the part of town the Oilers new Arena will be built...don't sit there and try to go on about location of Montreal Forum ....

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=grant+m...12,106.61,,0,0

As far as Gov't buildings and what does it got to do with Montreal Forum? , I used that example BECAUSE WE DON'T LEAVE THEM ,cause it's OUR HERITAGE....even tho there built 150 years ago...
The Montreal Forum should be shown the same RESPECT.
The BELL CENTRE HAS NO MEANING...
Like moving Parliament Hill into a office at the mall or into a downtown high rise tower........

THE PACKERS MOVED out of City Stadium BECAUSE IT WAS TOO SMALL...expanded from 6000 to 25,000..they had to move.......the 60 yr old LAMBEAU FIELD WILL NOW HOLD 79,000 after this latest expansion.......that is why they left City Stadium!!!!
Montreal Forum ALREADY holds room for 18000.....adding room for 2000 -3000 more isn't a big stretch .

I'm not proposing to turn the OLD FORUM into a BELL CENTRE!
Just like the same way i wouldn't take a 1965 Camaro ,and try to turn it into a 1999 KIA or Ford.
The old Fourm seen ALOT of changes since 1926!
It would be redesigned back to how it was as much as possible KEEPING IN THE HISTORY , but in a 2012 modern light...

BC Place proves it can be done....

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 05:28 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Your argument cannot be 'buildings today last less than 40 years' when you are campaigning to move back to a 90 year old one.

So, explain why they would need to move from the Bell Centre in 20 years. Why can't that building be renovated 20 years down the line for a lot less money in real terms than it would cost to 'renovate' the Forum right now?

What does Bell Centre mean to you?

It makes me sick to hear people talk about the old Forum this way.
Makes me more sick to see it as a mini mall.
Go tell the Cub fans or Packer or Red Sox fans there needing a new ball park.....This is the problem in Montreal, we lost our way ..

There's a old 1960 's era muscle car rusting in a field ,why do people restore them and bring them
back in 2012?

There's a different type of PRIDE in sitting behind the wheel of a 1960's car ,than behind the wheel of a 2011 KIA or Ford Focus

If a redo of the Montreal Forum would last another 25-30 years until it needed another one, that's all new buildings are good for today anyway...

The Bell Centre is so successful today it wouldn't miss the Habs one bit if they left ....
Just as much money in a concert /boxing match ,as a playoff hockey game.

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 06:02 AM.