HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rookies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2012, 05:23 PM
  #1
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
The Rookies

Props to the kids tonight, I thought they all played great considering how tough a game that was.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
  #2
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,473
vCash: 1433
Saunders quoted a feat during the broadcast:

Rookies this year have 33 goals to date compared to zero for all of last season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
  #3
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Saunders quoted a feat during the broadcast:

Rookies this year have 33 goals to date compared to zero for all of last season.
how many rookies played last year?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:37 PM
  #4
Coffe
Registered User
 
Coffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
how many rookies played last year?
Three (Holmstrom, Gus and Wellwood (from what I can see on NHL.com))

Coffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:39 PM
  #5
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A swedish flyer View Post
Three (Holmstrom, Gus and Wellwood (from what I can see on NHL.com))
That explains the 0 from last season!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:00 PM
  #6
FlyersRSC09
Flying Raven
 
FlyersRSC09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
I have to say, I'm loving this group of rookies, and admittedly during the summer I didn't expect to. I questioned why Read would be called up over Wellwood, and now when I get back home I can't wait to pick up the Read jersey I had sent out. I questioned why we chose Couturier over Hamilton in the draft when we needed more D-men, and I own now own a Couts shirt. I miss Mike Richards but Schenn today was a beast and showed a lot of that potential that we traded our former captain for. Harry Z has been a pleasant surprise as had Rinaldo as a cheap and more talented alternative to Shelley. In this case, I'm happy to admit that I was wrong.

FlyersRSC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
  #7
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,473
vCash: 500
Pretty crazy when you consider half the flyers forwards in today's game were rookies and a third of the d as well.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:41 PM
  #8
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Pretty crazy when you consider half the flyers forwards in today's game were rookies and a third of the d as well.
This.

And we compete and push for the top spot in the Div. I for one didn't think we'd be in this place at all. Now if we can get Bryz going... please!

Good work boys!

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:43 PM
  #9
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,406
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
This.

And we compete and push for the top spot in the Div. I for one didn't think we'd be in this place at all. Now if we can get Bryz going... please!

Good work boys!
Haha, once Bryz gets going the rookies are going to start slowing down.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:47 PM
  #10
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, once Bryz gets going the rookies are going to start slowing down.
haha.... I would be okay with that - if the slow down doesn't mean a complete stop


dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
  #11
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 500
Schenn had his best game this season. I love that he was throwing his body around and getting in hard on the forecheck. Couturier is doing a solid job of stepping up in the absence of some veteran forwards. Read is still potting goals like a seasoned scorer. Love these kids.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:12 PM
  #12
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
how many rookies played last year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A swedish flyer View Post
Three (Holmstrom, Gus and Wellwood (from what I can see on NHL.com))
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
That explains the 0 from last season!

How many GAMES PLAYED did the rookies have. Hell, we may have had more games played by rookies in just one game against the Bruins than we did all of last year.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  #13
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A swedish flyer View Post
Three (Holmstrom, Gus and Wellwood (from what I can see on NHL.com))
Well, then there's also Bob.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:21 AM
  #14
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, then there's also Bob.
hmmm....yup still no goals

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:35 AM
  #15
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
hmmm....yup still no goals
Haha, I didn't notice goals were in question, my bad

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:53 AM
  #16
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
I just calculated it, with the games played today we have 231 man-games played by our rookie skaters out of a total 846 man-games total by skaters for a total of just over 27% of our man-games played by rookies this year. That's a HUGE amount. Maybe that number wouldn't be so bad if you were talking about your rookies being Malkin and Crosby like the Pens had when they came into the league but we don't have that kind of all-world talent in our rookies. we really have placed a huge burdon on our rookies with the contributions we are asking from them. They are performing far above the expectations but there is still the potential for them to hit a wall very very soon and for our season to start to spiral downward at the wrong time.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:03 AM
  #17
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I just calculated it, with the games played today we have 231 man-games played by our rookie skaters out of a total 846 man-games total by skaters for a total of just over 27% of our man-games played by rookies this year. That's a HUGE amount. Maybe that number wouldn't be so bad if you were talking about your rookies being Malkin and Crosby like the Pens had when they came into the league but we don't have that kind of all-world talent in our rookies. we really have placed a huge burdon on our rookies with the contributions we are asking from them. They are performing far above the expectations but there is still the potential for them to hit a wall very very soon and for our season to start to spiral downward at the wrong time.
A huge Bourdon?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
  #18
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
The Rookies are all responsible players, even Rinaldo. Read & Couts were out there in OT. MAB has more good games than bad, and Gus is going to be solid. It's just crazy for people who followed this team back in the 90's when almost none of their players were home grown. And patrick julin & niiniima were the future.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
  #19
Codith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Sestito was a beast last night too, causing ****, taking Lucic off the ice for a fight and a penalty, laid some nice hits as well. Always felt when he was on the ice that he would piss some bruin off

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  #20
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,702
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Saunders quoted a feat during the broadcast:

Rookies this year have 33 goals to date compared to zero for all of last season.
that's not very surprising considering we didnt have a rookie on the roster that skated a regular shift for the majority of the season with us

I love what our rookies have done for us, but I sure hope Homer brings in a vet on the blueline. I know our rookie defenseman have been fine so far, but I just can't trust having both Gus and Bourdon in the line-up come April. Add to the fact that Lilja is currently our 7th, which doesnt help our situation.

A bottom 6 forward wouldnt hurt either.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
  #21
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,702
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Sestito was a beast last night too, causing ****, taking Lucic off the ice for a fight and a penalty, laid some nice hits as well. Always felt when he was on the ice that he would piss some bruin off
he took out Chara twice as well

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
  #22
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Sestito needs to be a regular, but we've already known this for over a month now. Love what he brings to the table each game, makes us a tougher, more physically imposing team just by himself.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
  #23
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Sestito needs to be a regular, but we've already known this for over a month now. Love what he brings to the table each game, makes us a tougher, more physically imposing team just by himself.
I'd still give Rinaldo and Zolniercyzk the 4th line spots over Sestito, but I'd love to have Sestito in Shelley's role as the occasional fill-in. I think he ought to play in all he games against NYR, BOS, and PIT, and then some. And I'm saying that after watching Shelley the last couple games play really well (for Shelley)

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
  #24
iamcanadian23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Sestito needs to be a regular, but we've already known this for over a month now. Love what he brings to the table each game, makes us a tougher, more physically imposing team just by himself.
I was saying in another thread that I like what a disciplined Sestito brings to the table - and you would be surprised how many people disagree with the idea.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
  #25
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'd still give Rinaldo and Zolniercyzk the 4th line spots over Sestito, but I'd love to have Sestito in Shelley's role as the occasional fill-in. I think he ought to play in all he games against NYR, BOS, and PIT, and then some. And I'm saying that after watching Shelley the last couple games play really well (for Shelley)
1000% agreed..

Shelley can go do whateva, but Sestito is a decent replacement for what Shelley brings.

out of the 2 rookies i prefer Rinaldo over Sestito, just wish the refs would stop following Zac. around with baised eyes.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.