HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Why do you criticize this team?

View Poll Results: Why do you criticize this team?
Because I truly believe in this team and it is a contender given minor changes. 27 64.29%
Because I think this team needs a lot of work and it is a fringe playoff team at best. 6 14.29%
Because I am cynical and I will let you know the many reasons why as we lose time & time again. 1 2.38%
Something else. 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2012, 08:49 PM
MollerManor

vCash: 500
Why do you criticize this team?

I have been apart of this board for a bit now, and obviously there are the regulars, lurkers, and every-now-and-againers, such as myself. I feel like so many times, I read something someone posts, and I agree with them 100%, then a week later I question whether this same person is even a fan of the team at all.

Obviously the lack of scoring is upsetting all of us, so, I want to ask, why do you really criticize this team?

I truly think this team is a contender as-is, but they are in a funk that needs a new pp coach and a jolt from a good solid finisher. Not much more.

Last edited by MollerManor: 01-22-2012 at 08:59 PM.
MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
Obviously the lack of scoring is upsetting all of us, so, I ask want to ask, why do you really criticize this team?
In order to post something, you need something to talk about. I love this team, but I there's only so many times I can type that onto the same message board. However, every new problem, every new loss gives me something to complain about.

I enjoy watching this team/game immensely more than I am bothered by their shortfalls, otherwise I wouldn't watch. But for me to spend time posting, there needs to be something for me to post about....which typically is a comment as to what went wrong or what needs to be improved upon. It's simply a matter of having something to talk about.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:06 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
In order to post something, you need something to talk about. I love this team, but I there's only so many times I can type that onto the same message board. However, every new problem, every new loss gives me something to complain about.

I enjoy watching this team/game immensely more than I am bothered by their shortfalls, otherwise I wouldn't watch. But for me to spend time posting, there needs to be something for me to post about....which typically is a comment as to what went wrong or what needs to be improved upon. It's simply a matter of having something to talk about.
I'm not asking why you post or why you complain. I am asking what is your motivation behind complaining/posting?

For example, I can not fathom Islanders fans over the past 4 years criticizing their team because they think they can honestly win the Stanley Cup. I would assume they voice their frustration because they need a complete overhaul from top to bottom. (or whatever.)

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Johnny Utah

Because the team is boring and underachieving...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:45 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

How about "Why do you support this team?"

I don't critize very much if at all. About the only issue I have is I wish we could score more and add some talent to the wings, but that's more of a wish list than a compliant.

The Kings have a young core which is mostly loxked up long term and much of it seems to be getting better overall. We are a few pieces away maybe, but we are in an overall great place and the envy of many other teams out there in terms of what the future holds.

I'm happy and excitedly support this team.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I love it. People like to blame Dean Lombardi for ****.

But look..he went out and got Penner which A LOT of people called the best deal of the deadline. MANY pundits. Penner not showing up is on Penner, not Lombardi.

Stoll playing like it's his first year in the league as opposed to the other good years he had here is NOT on Dean Lombardi.

Gagne was a great pick up and many hockey pundits thought it was a fantastic move to add to our scoring.

Richards is and was a great trade, but it's hard for that to look good when he is playing with garbage.

That's why the game isn't played on paper, and why teams like Buffalo, who looked like a contender on paper, maybe don't do so well. Guys underachieve, players get injured. I think that is just the biggest case with us. Biggest case indeed.

Yea it's frustrating but that's hockey. The minor changes we have tried to make, our gm has tried to make, have not worked out. He's a human, not a fortune teller. This team is still only about 2-3 players away from being in the thick of it.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

I criticize this team because I care about this team. I love this team and I want it to be successful franchise for many years.

They had this big thing about this is the team we have been waiting for. So far, I'm pretty disappointed. I'm tired of seeing teams that I hate win championships when my favorite team struggles to even make the post season.

I expect this team to go out and play a full 60 minutes ever game. If they don't win, that's okay. I just want them to show up and play. No more of this come out and suck.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Richards played with Powe and Carcillo in Philly and still had a great year. So stop blaming his linemates. Great players make other players good. See Pascal Dupuis. Crosby made him and Kunitz way better and also put up a ton of points himself.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Richards played with Powe and Carcillo in Philly and still had a great year. So stop blaming his linemates. Great players make other players good. See Pascal Dupuis. Crosby made him and Kunitz way better and also put up a ton of points himself.
Explain Kunitz this year then please? and Dupuis as well. Both are on pace for career years. On separate lines. Without Crosby. and honestly, it's not like the had a crazy unbelievable out of nowhere year when on a line with Crosby....they had little better then average years.

And lol I don't recall Richards playing with Powe and Carcillo....ever. Unless they had him playing 4th line wing...considering Powe was always at center.

Rick needs to step up but I'm pretty damn sure his linemates in Stoll and Penner are not helping the situation AT ALL.

EDIT: What year was that by the way that Rick played with Powe and Carcillo as his regular linemates?

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 01-22-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old
01-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Seriously JU sorry you had such man love for Simmonds and Schenn and fighting but you got to get over it man. That was a good trade. For both teams. Move on. Don't marry yourself to players.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:19 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

I think there is a difference between constructive criticism and saying annoying things like "Here comes the collapse" and "We have no shot at winning the division."

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Funny, I've agreeed with much of JU's points over the years but for the record I think on the whole Mike Richards deal he has lost his redekulas mind.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Funny, I've agreeed with much of JU's points over the years but for the record I think on the whole Mike Richards deal he has lost his redekulas mind.
Hatter, you're my boy but did you see the Flyers game tonight? Schenn has 5 hits and 2 were game changers...the Flyers got size, youth and grit in Simmonds and Schenn...we got 5'10" Richards who has been invisible recently and makes quite a chunk of money. Our depth is depleted on the 3rd line, in the AHL and in next years draft because of this deal.

This team is just flat out boring to watch. They can't score. Gagne is hurt, Penner sucks and makes Lombardi look stupid. Fraser is a worse fighter than Matt Greene. Stoll makes almost 4 million and has 4 goals. Loktionov has 0 goals. Trent Hunter, a former 25 goal scorer has 2 goals. It just gets worse and worse.

The only players having good years are Quick, Mitchell and Voynov.

Watching these Kings is like watching the New Jersey Devils before the lock out.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
The criticism amongst Kings fans is deafening.

To a new world of positive hockey fans.

Kings 2012!

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Richards played with Powe and Carcillo in Philly and still had a great year. So stop blaming his linemates. Great players make other players good.
If you are talking last year, this is a flat out lie. Carcillo averaged 7:45 a game in ice time in 2010-2011 while Powe got 12:17. Richards earned 18:52. He may have played with them but more than half the game at least he didn't have to be saddled with Carcillo, and he had nearly 7 minutes a game free of Powe as well. If you are going to state a lot of that was powerplay time, You may be right, but then his linemates would have been guys like Carter, Giroux and Briere, right?

Quote:
Hatter, you're my boy but did you see the Flyers game tonight? Schenn has 5 hits and 2 were game changers...the Flyers got size, youth and grit in Simmonds and Schenn...we got 5'10" Richards who has been invisible recently and makes quite a chunk of money. Our depth is depleted on the 3rd line, in the AHL and in next years draft because of this deal.
We traded two players and got one back. A net loss of one player doesn't deplete any teams depth to the levels you describe. And for the record, Schenn may have had a good game but where has he been much of the season? four points in 19 games and only the great Harry Zolnierczyk has a worse plus/minus ratio per game than Schenn. You think we'd be better off with Simmonds and Schenn than Richards right now?

Quote:
This team is just flat out boring to watch.
Then don't watch. Easy solution.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Then don't watch. Easy solution.
It's not an easy solution, nor is it even viable - we're fans of the team. It's hard to not watch the games, but most games, save for a few here and there, have been tough to watch this season.

Boring certainly describes some of the games. Painful or frustrating are the words I've used more often though. Whether it be the parade of talent on this team that cannot finish worth a damn, or the ridiculous amount of low-percentage perimeter shot-taking.

Puck possession time has improved significantly. We should be scoring more, but we're not.

To answer the OP's question - it's because the players have been underachieving so badly. As Jaygokings said, some of the talent on the ice have been total disappointments this season so far. It's causing Dean to have to change coaches and probably make more trades to deal with a problem the players on the roster today should be able to fix themselves.

The shining star has been team D, although the cornerstone of that D, Quick, is being overplayed. It's not surprising given Sutter rode his #1's hard before, but we've all seen how a fatigued Quick plays in the postseason from 2 seasons ago. I sure hope Quick is able to play effectively with about 10 more regular season games under his belt than last season. He's well on that pace now. Again, frustrating. Those who don't learn from prior mistakes...

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

IMO, those who think there only need to be "minor changes" for this team to be a contender are looking at this team through rose colored glasses. This organization needs a philosophical change from top to bottom. The days of playing clutch and grab hockey while praying for a 2-1 win are over. Until we have leadership in place that realizes this, were just spinning our wheels.

On a side note, when was the last time the Kings traded for or signed a player who matched or exceeded his production on his previous team? It seems to happen quite frequently the other way around. For far too many years this team has managed to get the least out of it's players

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:09 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It's not an easy solution, nor is it even viable - we're fans of the team. It's hard to not watch the games, but most games, save for a few here and there, have been tough to watch this season.

- T

Sorry, yes it is. Why would anyone watch when they find it boring? JU didn't say a game or two, he said this team is boring to watch. This entire team. Everyone. Boring.

If that's what you think, fine. But why watch? If I thought The Big Bang Theory was boring to watch but still watched it every week, I'm sure my complaints would fall on deaf ears as well.

If this team to you (you being JU) is boring game after game, don't watch or find another team to watch. It really is that simple.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:11 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
IMO, those who think there only need to be "minor changes" for this team to be a contender are looking at this team through rose colored glasses. This organization needs a philosophical change from top to bottom. The days of playing clutch and grab hockey while praying for a 2-1 win are over. Until we have leadership in place that realizes this, were just spinning our wheels.

On a side note, when was the last time the Kings traded for or signed a player who matched or exceeded his production on his previous team? It seems to happen quite frequently the other way around. For far too many years this team has managed to get the least out of it's players
Outside of Moulson and Purcell, what players have left LA in the last five years and gone on to have noticably better seasons elsewhere?

All teams have this issue, but we do benefit as well. Quincey was a prime example of this.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I love it. People like to blame Dean Lombardi for ****.

But look..he went out and got Penner which A LOT of people called the best deal of the deadline. MANY pundits. Penner not showing up is on Penner, not Lombardi.

Stoll playing like it's his first year in the league as opposed to the other good years he had here is NOT on Dean Lombardi.

Gagne was a great pick up and many hockey pundits thought it was a fantastic move to add to our scoring.

Richards is and was a great trade, but it's hard for that to look good when he is playing with garbage.

That's why the game isn't played on paper, and why teams like Buffalo, who looked like a contender on paper, maybe don't do so well. Guys underachieve, players get injured. I think that is just the biggest case with us. Biggest case indeed.

Yea it's frustrating but that's hockey. The minor changes we have tried to make, our gm has tried to make, have not worked out. He's a human, not a fortune teller. This team is still only about 2-3 players away from being in the thick of it.
I completely disagree. At the end of the day, Lombardi has been here for years and this is the team that HE put together. The Kings suck at scoring because of the coaches he hired as well as the way he has picked the players to be on the roster. When one or two players are having down years, that's on them. When the entire team is, that's on the coach and the GM.

As for only needing 2-3 players, I believe it's more like 5 or 6. There is little question that there needs to be new wings brought in to play with Richards on the second line. Then comes the issue of the bottom six. We have gotten NO production from the bottom six the entire year.

Last edited by ScoreZeGoals: 01-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 10:25 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Outside of Moulson and Purcell, what players have left LA in the last five years and gone on to have noticably better seasons elsewhere?

All teams have this issue, but we do benefit as well. Quincey was a prime example of this.
Just looking at last years team, Smyth is on pace for 10-15 more points then he did last year while Poni already has more points then he did last year

Old
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Ollie Weeks

We want it all, and we want it now. We convinced ourselves we would have a team above the competition, a dominant team instead of a competitive team. Because we haven't gotten what we believe we were owed, and are stuck with a mere competitive team, the sky is falling.

Every year we go through peaks and valleys, and each time a problem occurs you hear the same chanting: "we're one top 6 forward/ shutdown defender/whatever the hell away from being a true contender." Every year the need changes subtly, but it never truly goes away. That's because teams, players, people, whatever, change over time. You can't expect things to only improve linearly like video game stats. And even if we improve, other teams improve as well.

These last few years, where the parity between teams has totally altered the face of the league, to expect your team to miraculously emerge from the pack for good, and then throw temper tantrums when the team can only "stay competitive," is both ignorant and arrogant. Its harder than we often want to believe it is.

My team is performing below expectations. But they're still in a good position to make the playoffs. For me, its that simple. We can try to unlock the formula for dominance again next offseason.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Sorry, yes it is. Why would anyone watch when they find it boring?

If that's what you think, fine. But why watch? If I thought The Big Bang Theory was boring to watch but still watched it every week, I'm sure my complaints would fall on deaf ears as well.
You're viewing this through a (free) TV/streaming lens. There's a pay per event live lens you're completely missing the context on.

Most folks (not all) complaining loudest on here aren't folks who are watching the Kings for free on television. They've paid for tickets and are getting tired of going to games where the team is boring as sin or doesn't show up. Those who do pay for tickets aren't paying to watch a boring/frustrating team. They're paying to be entertained.

When this team is playing well, they are highly entertaining, but those games have been few and far between this season, so the complaints roll in.

I watched the Colorado game on TV. I would have been complaining a hell of a lot louder if I had actually paid to watch that game live. That said, some of the complaints and sweeping statements after a loss go completely overboard, but it's somewhat understandable given this entire season has been a disappointment in terms of expectations vs. reality.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
The criticism amongst Kings fans is deafening.

To a new world of positive hockey fans.

Kings 2012!
Agreed. Tired of all the complaining here...its stupid and unproductive.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You're viewing this through a (free) TV/streaming lens. There's a pay per event live lens you're completely missing the context on.

Most folks (not all) complaining loudest on here aren't folks who are watching the Kings for free on television. They've paid for tickets and are getting tired of going to games where the team is boring as sin or doesn't show up. Those who do pay for tickets aren't paying to watch a boring/frustrating team. They're paying to be entertained.

When this team is playing well, they are highly entertaining, but those games have been few and far between this season, so the complaints roll in.

I watched the Colorado game on TV. I would have been complaining a hell of a lot louder if I had actually paid to watch that game live. That said, some of the complaints and sweeping statements after a loss go completely overboard, but it's somewhat understandable given this entire season has been a disappointment in terms of expectations vs. reality.
I would say you are probably right in regard to fans going to the games, but there are sure a lot watching the game on TV that are complaining as well.

For myself, I am enjoying the season overall. It is very entertaining to attend the games, even if they aren't playing particularly well. The "lack of effort" games (e.g., Colorado, Columbus) don't sit well with me, but I feel more sorry for those fans for which those are their first games or only game of the season.

I understand over an 82-game schedule there are going to be some real stinkers, so complaining is kind of a waste of time, really...but the players really should bring their A+ effort every game, if nothing else, for the fans' sake.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote