HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 12:44 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I didnt say they were sellers. I said if they are not going to make the playoffs and are struggling. I would think that a team that doesn't make the playoffs would be worse than fresh faces. Plus I said a "mini rebuild" one similar to the flyers which has worked out great for them
Problem is, if they miss, they'll miss barely, so the team will never be out of the race far enough to ever be in the position to be sellers. The Flyers traded core pieces locked up long term. Aside from Laich, the other assets are coming up on their expiration date and aren't worth as much. This team will either make the playoffs or go down in flames trying. Hopefully if they miss, we see a real team architect brought in.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:33 AM
txpd

the flyers did their mini rebuild by way of trading their captain/face of the franchise, richards and his side kick carter. both on long contracts. that would be like the caps trading ovechkin and backstrom.

trading laich and johansson doesnt come close to that kind of turnover and return.

this would be like mcphee trading ovechkin and backstrom for getzlaf and a prospect and for morrow and ott and a prospect.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What individual trade would you say was questionable? Corvo for a 2nd + two players currently in Europe? Arnott for a 2nd + player no longer on New Jersey? Hannan for a player no longer on Colorado? Chimera for a player cut from an AHL team in November and a defenseman he got back later in the season for free? Wideman for a 3rd + dead weight contract? A 4th and a prospect for Fehr (who currently has 1 goal and 1 assist on the season)?

I can see calling out his decisions of who to trade for or who to not trade for. But he's seemingly done a lot better than the other team in almost every single trade he's pulled off recently.
I never was crazy about the Corvo trade. He wasn't "the missing piece" worth a second round pick. What we needed at the time was a competent bruiser. Look at James Neal to see what a second round pick can get you. Arnott I can see the value of a 2nd, as he was the type of guy we needed for a cup run. The Hannan trade I understand, but we essentially lost Flash for a rental. I would have preferred picks or a more permanent piece. The Wideman trade in retrospect was very good, no complaints. And Fehr, F.B. trades were also in our favor. But like Boudreau I think McPhee's time may have run its course; he has a keen eye for talent.(or his scouting team does) but as an architect (making pieces fit together), and in terms of picking a coach, he seems to be lacking. If he is canned I would hope some of his scouting staff stays.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Look at James Neal to see what a second round pick can get you...
Seriously? There are excellent players drafted in every round. Using your logic picks should never be traded then unless they are bringing back serious difference makers. I mean a 7th rounder can get you a Zetterberg right?

A 2nd rounder for a 2nd pairing rental is about as normal a deadline deal as they come, especially for a team that thinks it has a great chance at a cup, which McPhee had to have thought at the time. So it didn't work out? Most don't...

Old
01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

As long as Makfi is still in charge, I don't see significant moves before the TDL. Trading the likes of Joel Ward and some others would basically be an admission on Makfi's part that he was wrong in his player analysis/assessment of such players, a bad investment if you will and I don't think his ego or his hopes to stay the GM will allow him to do that. Such an admission would suggest that perhaps these were not the only personnel decisions that he has made that he was incorrect about, so he doesn't want to go there and open up such a can of worms.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

5 minutes?

trade everyone. Well, everyone over 27-28.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
5 minutes?

trade everyone. Well, everyone over 27-28.
5 min more than Sarge!

Old
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Maybe Sarge is being held out so he can get boxing lessons. Or they're witholding dinner from him in hopes he will come out rabid.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Maybe Sarge is being held out so he can get boxing lessons. Or they're witholding dinner from him in hopes he will come out rabid.
Ease up on Sarge, he's still recovering from mono.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:34 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

yeah I heard mono-wussiosis is a life long condition

(or substitute p for the w)

Old
01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Look at James Neal to see what a second round pick can get you..
??? neal + niskonen for goligoski. i dont think dallas would have taken a 2nd round pick for neal

Old
01-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Seriously? There are excellent players drafted in every round. Using your logic picks should never be traded then unless they are bringing back serious difference makers. I mean a 7th rounder can get you a Zetterberg right?

A 2nd rounder for a 2nd pairing rental is about as normal a deadline deal as they come, especially for a team that thinks it has a great chance at a cup, which McPhee had to have thought at the time. So it didn't work out? Most don't...
That's why I liked the Arnott trade. He was something along the lines of what we needed. Corvo really wasn't, IMHO. A rental should be that missing piece. Corvo was another offensively oriented puck moving D-man on an already juggernaut offense.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
So, lines for next game?

28-85-22
25-21-20
26-15-42
83-50-Hershey

Old
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
??? neal + niskonen for goligoski. i dont think dallas would have taken a 2nd round pick for neal
I meant a 2nd round pick in the draft. If I am going to trade a 2d round pick for a rental, that rental should fill that one need holding you back from a SC run. That was not Corvo.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
That's why I liked the Arnott trade. He was something along the lines of what we needed. Corvo really wasn't, IMHO. A rental should be that missing piece. Corvo was another offensively oriented puck moving D-man on an already juggernaut offense.
So was wideman. Both were brought in for depth in case of injuries to an injury prone #1 Dman. Wideman got hurt, along with everyone else. Corvo wasn't needed as we **** the bed before Green could take his beating.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Roughing

Right now I'd just be happy to dump the expensive dead weight. I don't even care if any real value is returned. Sarge and Ward need to GTFO. I didn't like the Ward signing but he's been much worse than expected.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Building up organizational depth is a bigger issue with McPhee than trades IMO (aside from maybe waiting too long to make them but that's another matter). They've pretty well raided what they had the past few seasons thanks to hits earlier on in the draft netting quality roster players but haven't really tried to build it up as much as they could. Trading picks isn't a valid excuse when a team like Philadelphia is still able to net the likes of Gustafsson, Zolnierwhatever & Read as NCAA UFAs. Building up quality depth, in turn, opens up further trade possibilities.

What's more there are some blindspots in their drafting/team building: grinding forwards and physical defensive-defensemen. Building a team through the draft isn't all about skill and they haven't shown much in the way of finding those potentially very cap-efficient character role players. It's the underlying issue that leads to them going out and overspending for a Ward or giving Hendricks/Bradley/Clymer/Steckel multi-year deals. If the evaluation of players and team building is more comprehensive/objective then it's easier to avoid overpaying for mediocrity.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
I never was crazy about the Corvo trade. He wasn't "the missing piece" worth a second round pick. What we needed at the time was a competent bruiser. Look at James Neal to see what a second round pick can get you. Arnott I can see the value of a 2nd, as he was the type of guy we needed for a cup run. The Hannan trade I understand, but we essentially lost Flash for a rental. I would have preferred picks or a more permanent piece. The Wideman trade in retrospect was very good, no complaints. And Fehr, F.B. trades were also in our favor. But like Boudreau I think McPhee's time may have run its course; he has a keen eye for talent.(or his scouting team does) but as an architect (making pieces fit together), and in terms of picking a coach, he seems to be lacking. If he is canned I would hope some of his scouting staff stays.
I agree, the scouting staff should stay. As for GMGM, I have no faith in ownership to hire a competent GM. I can just see Craig Button or Pierre McGuire here if GMGM is gone. Imo, those are worse than GMGM.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I agree, the scouting staff should stay. As for GMGM, I have no faith in ownership to hire a competent GM. I can just see Craig Button or Pierre McGuire here if GMGM is gone. Imo, those are worse than GMGM.
Nah they haven't played for the Caps. Ted will continue the gimmick with Bondra as GM and BGus as his cap/AGM.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I'm waiting to judge Hamirlik and Ward until the playoffs. That's what they were brought in here for. If we don't make the playoffs, that's another story.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Appreci8 a while back suggested promoting Mahoney. I obviously don't know much about the guy, or if he would even want the job, but I think it's a pretty interesting idea. He seems to have the scouting acumen and has been impressive in interviews I've seen (I know).

Old
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Lock up the kids, it'll be Milbury.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I'm waiting to judge Hamirlik and Ward until the playoffs. That's what they were brought in here for. If we don't make the playoffs, that's another story.
This will be the Capitals Catch 22, again. I think you stand a better chance of moving such pieces at the TDL then in the off season. Waiting to check out their performance in the playoffs means you're "stuck" with them for at least another season, granted Hamrlik will be gone after the 12/13 season.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Lock up the kids, it'll be Milbury.
Accompanied by an official name-change. The Washington Lowercases. Or maybe the Washington lowercases is more appropriate.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
txpd

had corvo not vaporlocked in boudreau's system he might have actually been the difference in that montreal series. that was a series where one freaking play would have changed the outcome.

Closed Thread