HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bell Centre no longer Selling out

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Good.... any fan that would turn their back on the Habs for the Nords aren't the type of fans the team wants in the first place.
The organisation will take any kind of fan that can fill the stand....

Old
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
The organisation will take any kind of fan that can fill the stand....
And as long as the team wins, there will still be enough to fill the stands after you are gone.]

No harm done.

Old
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Problem is, you can berate them all you want, their money is as good as yours, and is important to Geoff.

The existence of fair-weather fans puts an incentive to the club to be competitive or at least give a good show.
I've said this every single time a thread like this comes up and I'm going to say it again.

1) Even if we tank and 50% of the season ticket holders didn't renew, there are about 5x the people who left who will gladly take their places. Molson isn't worried and a few people trying to spin it any other way don't worry him either.
2) If the Nords came back they would still sellout.

These people are businessmen, they know how the world works and how the team works. The fans will still come in droves even with a losing team, there are enough smart business people out there who would buy the season tickets as an investment worst case scenario until they turn it around.

People expecting losing or the nords to stop people from coming in droves are quite simply naive. I'm not saying it won't have any effect if we lose and are a bottom 5 team for five straight years but people need to stop being so naive, 1 year of tanking won't cost Molson a cent outside of what he would have made in the playoffs and we aren't a playoff team.

The attendance may dip but the actual tickets will continue to sell. Believing otherwise barring a nuclear disaster or several consecutive years of bottoming out = silly, plus even if we traded all of our assets and did a 3 year basement rebuild, you don't think enough people would want to come and see the Grigorenko's and Yakupov's we've picked up? The levels of naivety in this thread are laughable. A lot of people really are living in a bubble where they think them not turning on RDS or paying for a ticket really makes a difference. For every one person like you there are five who will take your place.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I can't wait bro. You still going to be a Habs fan when they do?
Yes, i will be a fan of both Quebec teams

Old
01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I've said this every single time a thread like this comes up and I'm going to say it again.

1) Even if we tank and 50% of the season ticket holders didn't renew, there are about 5x the people who left who will gladly take their places. Molson isn't worried and a few people trying to spin it any other way don't worry him either.

These people are businessmen, they know how the world works and how the team works. The fans will still come in droves even with a losing team, there are enough smart business people out there who would buy the season tickets as an investment worst case scenario until they turn it around.

People expecting losing or the nords to stop people from coming in droves are quite simply naive. I'm not saying it won't have any effect if we lose and are a bottom 5 team for five straight years but people need to stop being so naive, 1 year of tanking won't cost Molson a cent outside of what he would have made in the playoffs and we aren't a playoff team.

The attendance may dip but the actual tickets will continue to sell. Believing otherwise barring a nuclear disaster or several consecutive years of bottoming out = silly, plus even if we traded all of our assets and did a 3 year basement rebuild, you don't think enough people would want to come and see the Grigorenko's and Yakupov's we've picked up? The levels of naivety in this thread are laughable. A lot of people really are living in a bubble where they think them not turning on RDS or paying for a ticket really makes a difference. For every one person like you there are five who will take your place.
Exactly. It would take 4 or 5 seasons like this one before it would even make a difference to the bottom line. The team missed the playoffs in 2007, but the 07-08 tickets were still all sold out before the season began.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Attendances will never have a connection with public's displeasure in Montreal because a large part of the seats are already bought by companies wich they give away to people that don't have to buy seats. So it's a moot issues.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Exactly. It would take 4 or 5 seasons like this one before it would even make a difference to the bottom line. The team missed the playoffs in 2007, but the 07-08 tickets were still all sold out before the season began.
That was before this though, this was like the straw that broke the camel'S back. http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/no...19-214835.html

Old
01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
neofury*

Their money is just as good as ours but when there are 5 people like me willing to take their place it makes them irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, in terms of profit. This isn't Apple where we can sell a million ipods if we wanted to, there are only 27k seats and 82 games a season.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Every single one of those people is allowed to buy 2 tickets... so double those numbers.

Sorry you are looking at a wait list of 20,000 season tickets.

Considering they sell about 15,000 season tickets per year, and most are renewed, they still aren't running out of season ticket buyers anytime soon.

The last people on the list are gonna be waiting almost 20 years before they can get their tickets.

ok,

were did the waiting list go prior to 2004?

LOL

IF 2500-3000 fans who have paid for season tickets are not showing up to games ALREADY, how many more IN LINE will walk away too?

When it becomes clear to the "were only 8 points back" crowd it's over, watch an emptier BELL...

GOOD LUCK selling hype for next year...lol

They sold the 5 year rebuild plan, everyone bought in...how long ago was that?

then 100 years ....

Blew it up got horse shoe lucky ,in a round 3 run...failed to capitalize on it ..

She's down hill , watch the fans ..

Old
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
The way the Habs have mistreated a large chunk of the population, its no wonder they are not selling out anymore, and it will get worse i guarantee you. A large portion of the population will turn their back on the Habs once the Nords are back, if they Nords play their cards right.
For the people that turn their back on the Habs when the Nordiques come back, I say GTFO. We don't need them. I'm a Habs fan no matter what. Lots of teams go through difficult periods. We had been spoiled for a long time, but the last 10-15 years have been up and down, but mostly down. Those who switch teams like that are not real fans anyways.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 01-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

how bad is it?

Montreal's Theme for 2011/2012 is RISE TOGETHER....

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74200

Since 2004 MONTREAL FANS have keep up there end of the BARGIN ,supporting the team selling out Bell ...
HABS didn't give the same back in return ,took the love for granted.
8 years later in a RISE TOGETHER year, we burn in ashes,fans hitting the exits

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 09:54 AM
RE-HABS

They can't sell out a practice?

Well, I don't think I would want to see guys just practicing and goofing around either, not to mention one goalie was a "Shooter Tutor" cause Price was not playing.

People not showing up to a event like this is not a panic situation, just another reason for the Montreal media and some fans to throw fuel on a fire to make it look like something it is not.

And by the way, they are sold out for the season, there are years long waiting lists for season tickets...they will continue to sell out.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:55 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
That was before this though, this was like the straw that broke the camel'S back. http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/no...19-214835.html
Maybe your back, not the true fans.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
They can't sell out a practice?

Well, I don't think I would want to see guys just practicing and goofing around either, not to mention one goalie was a "Shooter Tutor" cause Price was not playing.

People not showing up to a event like this is not a panic situation, just another reason for the Montreal media and some fans to throw fuel on a fire to make it look like something it is not.

And by the way, they are sold out for the season, there are years long waiting lists for season tickets...they will continue to sell out.

How long was the waiting list for tickets in 2001 ?2002?
Right on Montreal's website it says sold out since 2004....
People keep saying that the waiting lists miles long ,sell out forever..., but history shows different.
Montreal isn't Toronto

Montreal's new theme slogan for next season should be :

20 YEARS OF SMOKE AND MIRRORS

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORENW View Post
The end of an era ?

I still remember the good'ol days of Shayne Corson and Sheldon Souray at Zellers waiting for fans to show up ... sigh ...
Not on topic but...it is sad when your "good ol' days" is Shayne Corson and Sheldon Souray.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:

Last time I checked, there wasnt a line of waiting for watching RDS.

the attendance is still a valuable income in itself. People present in the Bell Center means people who buys the 15$ beer and the 5$ hot dog. That's additional income that shouldn't be spat at, specially if this income goes directly into your gross profit margin.

Plus, if people turns away from watching Habs-related media, it means the publicity contracts will be less juicy. Even more income loss, and it ain't peanuts.

Molson needs the fair-weather fans. They are the difference between a merely profitable franchise and a golden cash cow.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Again, i can't beleive i'm the only one seeing the irony in watching some people here justifying the fans getting uninterested about the team while also advocating the habs to tank for a few years in another thread.

When we were saying the owners would never purposely let the team tank for a few years for fear of seeing the team popularity fall, do you guys finally see that we had a point here? Do you guys finally get why your antics in the last few seasons were useless and ridiculous?

Old
01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I mean, derp. They drew 15 000 or 18 000 fans, depending on who you believe, for a practice. There are teams who can't regularly draw that for a game.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Protest the Hero

Get this failing team out of here to a real hockey market, Kansas City baby!

Old
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Get this failing team out of here to a real hockey market, Kansas City baby!
It is definitely not a failing business, but it sure will become a failure investment in Molson's portfolio. He bought the team with expectations of net income. The loss of the indirect income is probably the most direct harm he can have at the moment. The "bad case scenario" happened.

It could become worse over time. I hope not!

Old
01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
nice survey with 802 random person in québec...

Old
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I mean, derp. They drew 15 000 or 18 000 fans, depending on who you believe, for a practice. There are teams who can't regularly draw that for a game.
they say the Jets had 11000 at there Practice skills comp.

No question 15k to a practice is great, but no denying numbers are down from years past, along with Viewers ratings ,and now rink attendance for games...

The ship is heading into the wrong direction,the barometer of sellout is saying ,water filling up the lower decks

They painted up a old junker and sailed it hard last 8 years...promises won't keep it above the water tho.

People understand 20 years...

Last edited by Habaneros: 01-23-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Last time I checked, there wasnt a line of waiting for watching RDS.

the attendance is still a valuable income in itself. People present in the Bell Center means people who buys the 15$ beer and the 5$ hot dog. That's additional income that shouldn't be spat at, specially if this income goes directly into your gross profit margin.

Plus, if people turns away from watching Habs-related media, it means the publicity contracts will be less juicy. Even more income loss, and it ain't peanuts.

Molson needs the fair-weather fans. They are the difference between a merely profitable franchise and a golden cash cow.
The bolded is exactly the point I was making. People think watching RDS or not, or buying a ticket or not, will change something. For every person willing to boycott who does have season tickets there are 5 people willing to take their place, this is the point I was making. Boycotting RDS or the bell center or whatever won't change a thing.

Of course attendance matters but attendance won't suffer too much either, and anyone thinking a practice is representative of who will be at an actual game is kidding themselves.

Molson doesn't need the fair weather fans, because like it or not the bell center will be full and not enough people would boycott the media to even cause a 1% dent. In Montreal people like to talk a lot of **** but they rarely back it up. Look at all the "talk" we had about an Anglo coach, 200 people protested, they couldn't even get a measly 1000 people out of one of the most populated cities in North America.

Anyone thinking otherwise just doesn't understand the way businesses like this work. This isn't Apple where a competitor can come in with a better product, the Habs are the only game in town, there's also a limited number of seats available considering the number of people who want to go to the games. Are scalpers suffering? Sure maybe a bit, but I guarantee those people who decide not to use their season tickets will give them away or sell them anyways, if you can't sell them outside the bell center anymore Kijiji will still work. It isn't as dire as people make it out to be, the attendance will barely drop. Practices don't make you money, games make you money.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
The bolded is exactly the point I was making. People think watching RDS or not, or buying a ticket or not, will change something. For every person willing to boycott who does have season tickets there are 5 people willing to take their place, this is the point I was making. Boycotting RDS or the bell center or whatever won't change a thing.

Of course attendance matters but attendance won't suffer too much either, and anyone thinking a practice is representative of who will be at an actual game is kidding themselves.

Molson doesn't need the fair weather fans, because like it or not the bell center will be full and not enough people would boycott the media to even cause a 1% dent. In Montreal people like to talk a lot of **** but they rarely back it up. Look at all the "talk" we had about an Anglo coach, 200 people protested, they couldn't even get a measly 1000 people out of one of the most populated cities in North America.

Anyone thinking otherwise just doesn't understand the way businesses like this work. This isn't Apple where a competitor can come in with a better product, the Habs are the only game in town, there's also a limited number of seats available considering the number of people who want to go to the games. Are scalpers suffering? Sure maybe a bit, but I guarantee those people who decide not to use their season tickets will give them away or sell them anyways, if you can't sell them outside the bell center anymore Kijiji will still work. It isn't as dire as people make it out to be, the attendance will barely drop. Practices don't make you money, games make you money.

they claim there already 2500 or more MISSING from Games.

That is 2500 mouths not drinking ...not eating....

It will end up 5000 or more, watch by years end....

Will see the enthusiasm of a ticket increase ...lol

I bet Montreal wont sell out next year...
IT HAPPENS THAT FAST..

Old
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
neofury*

This isn't the mp3 player market where 1,000,000 people this week want to buy an ipod and there are 10,000,000 available. This is a hockey team with 27k seats available and like 125k people who aren't able to get those seats still want them. Say 5k of the people who want those seats decide **** it, and even 25k out of the 125k say **** it too, the other 100k people who still are on the waiting lists or haven't even bothered up until now will still buy the tickets. They will still attend games and if they don't someone will in their place. 200 people whining won't change a thing, Molson bought this org because he knows even if they finish dead last he'll turn a profit.

Closed Thread