HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Offseason? You want to talk about the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
saywut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I agree, but only if his contract #'s are reasonable. He can't expect a big $ or long term contract considering his injury history. I like him, but not for the big money I think some team (TORONTO) might throw at him.
Well he's a restricted free agent, so we'd get compensation for an offer sheet if we qualified him, though qualifying him ensures a minimum 100% of his previous salary in that qualifying offer, so 2.6M.

After reading the CBA, it appears I was off in my prior post with my 90% salary arbitration estimate(minimum offer). It is 85%, but I believe it would be 85% of 2.6M, his salary this season, not 2.5M, his cap-hit. Salary arbitration prevents offer sheets as well.

So the least we can offer Latendresse in arbitration is 2.21M. Like I said, this buys us time unless he accepts prior to the hearing. Though if we won the hearing we'd have to accept as well. And who knows what Latendresse's side would counter with, if they even bothered.

2.21M on a 1-year contract with a guy hungry for unrestricted free agency in 2013. That's one hell of a bargain for a guy who's scored 33g and 52 points in 82 games with the Wild. Might not be able to keep him long-term as that arbitration is not the "nicest" way of negotiating, but 11 games last year and 16 so far this year isn't enough either.

Lose the arbitration case? Its still going to be a 1-year deal, and how much could Latendresse's side actually state he deserves(and win the case)? Couldn't be more than 4M. Going to have to make a big splash to walk away from that. 30 goals for 4M is worth it.

Old
01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Lose the arbitration case? Its still going to be a 1-year deal, and how much could Latendresse's side actually state he deserves(and win the case)? Couldn't be more than 4M. Going to have to make a big splash to walk away from that. 30 goals for 4M is worth it.
For a person who actually can stay healthy, and play 75+ games per year.

Lats has played what? 75 games in THREE years with the Wild?

Old
01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
For a person who actually can stay healthy, and play 75+ games per year.

Lats has played what? 75 games in THREE years with the Wild?
82, this is his 3rd year. He's scored 33 goals, we've had 2 30 goal scorers in franchise history and they're not here anymore, oddly enough we haven't made the playoffs since.

Arbitration happens AFTER significant UFAs sign. Like I said, you lose the arbitration case and hit in free agency(Parise), walk away. But if we get no help in free agency and Leipold's willing to spend the cap there is no reason not to give Latendresse that $$$. And if you win or he accepts prior, 2.21M is not going to restrain us from signing anyone. 30 goal scorers don't grow on trees, anyone who watches the Wild should be aware of that.

Look at Lupul in Toronto. Anaheim doesn't give him + Gardiner for Beauchemin if they believe Lupul could even return to his 20g 50pt form after his injury problems(77 games in 2 seasons). Guess what? He's surpassing it.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Bumping this; we need to sell off the pieces at the deadline and continue to bring in rookies, young players.

We may also need to hire a shooting coach. Or a better one.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Avder
Is only game.

I wouldn't mind a special teams coach either.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I would like to get a true power forward for once. A big guy that can score around the net and nobody can move him.
We already have exactly what you described. Only problem is he can't stay healthy.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:38 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I don't care what anybody says, I want Lats for another year.
I agree 100% with this. Latandresse is a beast when he's healthy. I'd be more worried about Bouchard than Lats when it comes to injuries. Concussions are career threatening, being fat isn't. Just look at Big Buff.

In any case I think a summer where he already starts off in shape and doesn't have to worry about losing much weight combined with the lengthy summer the Wild will probably inherit will rejuvenate him and really help him heal completely.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:54 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I love what Lats brings to the table, but at this point I think we need to test the market for him. Looking at the RFA compensation rates for this year, his current salary is only worth a 2nd on an offer sheet. However, to pry him away from us, they'd probably have to overpay by around a million. That bumps his salary into 1st + 3rd range. If there's a market for him out there, Fletcher can probably squeeze a 2012 first alone out of that instead at the draft.

When you factor in his health, I think I might take a 2012 first over him (depending on who's on left on the board around that point).

Old
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm going to guess they sit down with him and ask what he wants to do. Probably either arbitration or qualifying offer. Don't think they just let him walk. He's a 30+ goal scorer easy if healthy.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Worst case scenario, his rights are worth something. I think we put him out there as available, but don't force a trade just to get something.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Avder
Is only game.

I really want Lats to come back. What I would like to see us do is see where we are closer to the trade deadline. If were still treading water, procede with him as we are now, with an eye for him coming back later in the year. If were finally going under, shut him down completely with an eye toward getting him completely healthy for next season.

I think we will need to qualify him. He's simply got too much potential when healthy. The fans love him, and I think he really likes it here. If we could get him signed for less than qualifying somehow, awesome, but I think he is worth the salary bump if he can just get healthy and stay healthy.

Hes just about the only offensive guy we have who can produce points consistently, plays responsibly, and has a shoot first mentality. I really wish we could clone him and replace a couple guys on the roster with his clones.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
nickschultzfan

Keeping Lats is fine as long as he's slotted as a 3rd line winger. We need to stop relying on him to be in the top-6.

If he's signed to be a 2 million/year 3rd line LW, that's fine.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That makes no sense. It'd be like "Crosby should be the third line center because he can't be relied on to be healthy."

Old
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Keeping Lats is fine as long as he's slotted as a 3rd line winger. We need to stop relying on him to be in the top-6.

If thats the case, we could slot both him and Seto at 2nd line and if Lats is healthy bump Seto to third line.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:

If he's not in the top 6, then no point in re-signing him, imo. His skills are suited for top 6 minutes.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
OpRedDawn

vCash: 127
I'd hate to see him go. When healthy, he's a beast. You can't really control getting boarded and concussed. I'd much rather move PMB than him.

Old
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I'd hate to see him go. When healthy, he's a beast. You can't really control getting boarded and concussed. I'd much rather move PMB than him.
Yeah, I think if I had to pick one player to get healthy forever and the other to call it a career and pack it it, I think I would want Lats healthy forever.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
nickschultzfan

What's illogical is going into next season with Lats as the #2 best LW on the roster. He gets injured and we are in the exact same position as we currently are.

Lats very much has the skills to be a 3rd liner on this team. He's played great with Brodziak. He's big, hits, and can control the puck in the offensive zone. He can generate scoring by himself.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
If he's not in the top 6, then no point in re-signing him, imo. His skills are suited for top 6 minutes.
There isn't really that much of a difference between 2nd and 3rd line minutes. It's the 4th line that get limited shifts/minutes, but very few teams roll just 2 lines.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

Lats is a top 6 player. That's it. He's also a good top 6 player when healthy.

For his price and what he can bring I think it would be foolish not to keep him. It is a bit of a risk due to the injuries the last couple years, but the potential far outweighs a couple mil for a very strong player who is still young. The concussion this year was not his fault and could have happened to anyone.

I would rather have him and what we know he can bring then trade him for some potential who knows what prospect or pick. We could only hope most prospects could turn into him.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
What's illogical is going into next season with Lats as the #2 best LW on the roster. He gets injured and we are in the exact same position as we currently are.

Lats very much has the skills to be a 3rd liner on this team. He's played great with Brodziak. He's big, hits, and can control the puck in the offensive zone. He can generate scoring by himself.
Just because he may be the second best LW on roster doesn't mean they'll ignore depth going into the offseason. Hell, if/when he's healthy, he is probably the best wing on roster. With some kids making the jump, they'll have some more high end players who could spell at times. Whether or not he's on roster doesn't have much barring on what they can/will/could do in the offseason.

Brodziak won't be here next year so that's likely irrelevant.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
nickschultzfan

NA hockey fans sound like Russian hockey coaches sometimes when it comes to lines and who plays on what line.

Great hockey teams play three strong lines. Three lines that are good at defense and can score.

Boston 2011
Chicago 2010
Pens 2009
Wings 2008

All had guys on the third line who would have been in the top-6 on worse teams. Ladd-Bolland-Havlat was probably the best 3rd line in the NHL I've ever seen, and it was a HUGE factor in why the Hawks dominated the playoffs that year.

When it comes to Lats, he's too risky as a top-6 forward for the Wild. But, as a 3rd liner, he makes the Wild a dangerous team.

Lats-Brodziak-Clutterbuck would be a sweet 3rd line. The top-6 would be Koivu, Heatley, Setoguchi, Granlund, Cullen and Bouchard. Even better would be to take out one of Cullen and Boucahrd and slot in Parise. Then we would have a rockin top-9.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lats has been the best winger we've had since Gaborik. Not terribly close either. Look at his numbers in terms of production by minutes, both ES and on the PP, and he's just outstanding. Unfortunately not healthy enough.

This risk business is hilarity. Again, let's say we could just have Crosby. You wouldn't take him because it's "too risky"?

Also, the Wild aren't exactly so loaded up on talent that they can just pass on a player like Lats.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I would like to see what return we could get for him instead. If we get the RFA compensation for the raise he deserves from when he's actually played (1st + 3rd, or prior to draft 2012 1st), I have to think long and hard about taking that offer over keeping him out there.

If that offer's not there, we should stick with him unless some serious red flags are raised in his injury status. I certainly would not advocate throwing him away for nothing under any circumstance. But given trade value, we need to seriously weigh the trade value versus the risk of his injury history going forward.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I would like to see what return we could get for him instead. If we get the RFA compensation for the raise he deserves from when he's actually played (1st + 3rd, or prior to draft 2012 1st), I have to think long and hard about taking that offer over keeping him out there.
Huh? No one is going to offer a 1st round pick for a guy that has only played one healthy season in the past three season. So I'm confused. Do you mean monetary wise though? Like if he goes to arbitration and gets a 1st round compensation type of money?

Closed Thread