HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:23 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Bruins fan that was extremely impressed with Schenn yesterday. He reminded me of a faster version of Richards, they even almost have the same posture/skating style out there (though Schenn struck me as faster at first glance).

Regardless, would love to have him on our roster.
Agreed. Schenn looked a lot like Richards, Meltzer also said it in his column today. I LOVED seeing him on the top unit with Giroux and Hartnell. Having Hartnell and Schenn making room for Giroux was key for that line.

Not looking to start something here, but I personally see Jagr as the reason for Girouxs slump. He has been great this year, but he was out and then wasn't playing at full speed for the first 3-4 games back. Schenn made that line look really good. And on top of that, playing him on the first unit you could tell that him and hartnell were wearing down the D. Against teams with limited depth on D, having that line punish the top defensive pair is HUGE.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Agreed. Schenn looked a lot like Richards, Meltzer also said it in his column today. I LOVED seeing him on the top unit with Giroux and Hartnell. Having Hartnell and Schenn making room for Giroux was key for that line.

Not looking to start something here, but I personally see Jagr as the reason for Girouxs slump. He has been great this year, but he was out and then wasn't playing at full speed for the first 3-4 games back. Schenn made that line look really good. And on top of that, playing him on the first unit you could tell that him and hartnell were wearing down the D. Against teams with limited depth on D, having that line punish the top defensive pair is HUGE.
If Schenn can keep up this level of play, there's no need to put Jagr back on that line. Schenn is also better defensively than Jagr and if both he and Hartnell can crash and bang, it will give Giroux more of a chance to be open.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If Schenn can keep up this level of play, there's no need to put Jagr back on that line. Schenn is also better defensively than Jagr and if both he and Hartnell can crash and bang, it will give Giroux more of a chance to be open.
When Jagr was completely healthy that line was one of the best in the league. When he comes back completely health(hopefully) they will pair them up again and rightfully so. The last couple of weeks he has been fighting the groin and should have just waited till he was 100%.

Also Schenn can play on any line with his play. It's not like he formed an instant bond with Giroux and they have great chemistry Schenn is the type of player who does all the dirty work but can score and play make as well. He really can go do what he did yesterday on that line anywhere up and down our lineup. I really really like the kids game

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
That is a great picture! I didn't watch the game cuz I was at work, but Saunders and Bundy were talking about Schenn and how physical they were playing. Also talking about the phantom calls the refs were making for both teams. Specifically the Chara and Voracek penatlies. Also the missed pick on Coburn where Lucic scored.
I haven't seen anything about it, but I think the cut on Schenn's forehead, clearly visible in the video clips on the Flyer site and CSNPhilly, happened on the big hit, and not from the fight.

Anyone see anything? I can't imagine Kelly split open his forehead through his helmet/visor with a punch.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I haven't seen anything about it, but I think the cut on Schenn's forehead, clearly visible in the video clips on the Flyer site and CSNPhilly, happened on the big hit, and not from the fight.

Anyone see anything? I can't imagine Kelly split open his forehead through his helmet/visor with a punch.
I think it happened at the start of the fight but it wasn't from a punch.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I think it happened at the start of the fight but it wasn't from a punch.
They explained it as I watched it (I think it was the CSN Philly feed). Kelly hit him with a big right and Schenn starting bleeding right away. At least that is how they explained it. Also, Kelly and Schenn stopped once Schenn couldn't see.

Old
01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I absolutely loved Schenn's game yesterday and the way he has been playing overall since he came back from injuries..plural.

I was at the game and he was so noticable on the ice that is was indeed reminscient of Richards before his last year when his play and intensity was lacking particularly by the second half.

I am really dreading packaging this dude although I know we need a stud D to take over for Prongs and Kimmo...

Sux about losing Prongs possibly for ever...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Schenn has played well. He hasn't been very impressive but I don't think he has been in any way a disappointment (aside form injuries). He's made mistakes, but he has also made some good plays. The more time he spends on the ice and not in the trainer's office, the better he will get.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Clyde Donovan

Anyone else see that hit he made on Boychuck against the boards right before Hartnell scored I think his second goal. Absolutely plastered him and it went unnoticed because there was a goal right after.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Just for the record Giroux is our best faceoff man, with a win percentage of 52.5%. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll
Giroux also has 100 more face-offs on the powerplay to schenn's 1. You have a significant advantage on the powerplay.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:13 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I hated Schenn when we first got him. It may have been in part that Richards was my favorite player...BUT now I am really beginning to like him. He is hitting like a wild man, playing physical, and showing what he can be in the future. I like him.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Giroux also has 100 more face-offs on the powerplay to schenn's 1. You have a significant advantage on the powerplay.
Really? I'm not arguing I have just never heard this in all the years I have watched/played hockey. What is the reason for that?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
CAn you please explain how you have an advantage on the poweplay? Thanks.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils98 View Post
Obiously - 5 versus 4. You win the faceoff if your team gets the puck. The team with 5 skaters has a better shot at getting the puck then the team with 4 does.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I thought on 24/7 they said Schenn was living with Giroux this season?
Yup, Giroux and Schenn live together.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Obiously - 5 versus 4. You win the faceoff if your team gets the puck. The team with 5 skaters has a better shot at getting the puck then the team with 4 does.
Not convinced about that.

Is there statistics that prove that?

Usually a D goes to the missing winger position so its still 3 vs 3 there, and if the puck goes back, the lone D shouldnt have a problem picking that puck up...

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
phlocky

I told all you guyds to just be patient with Schenn. Even in just the few game he played before his injuries you could see his ability and maturity out there. Many of you argued with me about him and Coutureir but right now, Schenn is just the better player mostly because he's 2 years older. Both are fantastic young players but Schenn is further along the development chart and therefor SHOULD be getting more top minutes than Couts. That said, it's too early to really pick a side as to which will end up better.

I just hope we keep both and don't trade one for a dman. Draft a high quality dman this year, then package him, Read and two 1st rnd picks for Weber before the start of next year ala the Pronger trade we made.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Xegiie

i dont wanna sound like douch, because im marked jagr fan, but what exactly did Schenn do, that he fits so much more to the line?

all i saw was his 2 big hits, he had 0 contribution on all 3 Harts goals.
all of them were giroux pass, hartsy shot on power play, Schenn didnt make more space for hartsy or any pass ot them, so anyone care to explain?
hartsy having great match so schenn becuase on line is the reason?

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
i dont wanna sound like douch, because im marked jagr fan, but what exactly did Schenn do, that he fits so much more to the line?

all of them were giroux pass, hartsy shot on power play, Schenn didnt make more space for hartsy or any pass ot them, so anyone care to explain?
I was at the game and watched him closely..he was outstanding in his play with and without the puck. I don't normally get awestruck but he played an extremely involved game and was effective. He looked like Richards at his best and even Meltzer pointed it out today with his daily blog post...

Old
01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I was at the game and watched him closely..he was outstanding in his play with and without the puck. I don't normally get awestruck but he played an extremely involved game and was effective. He looked like Richards at his best and even Meltzer pointed it out today with his daily blog post...
i really didnt notice him on first, making chances for G and Hartsy, maybe i didnt pay attention enough, and its quite hard to follow players on crappy stream non HD video:s

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
i really didnt notice him on first, making chances for G and Hartsy, maybe i didnt pay attention enough, and its quite hard to follow players on crappy stream non HD video:s
Yeah..I don't go to too many games..kind of cost prohibitive plus I always say HD is enough..but when you understand the game fairly well whether by playing or just following it for so long the perspective at the game does mean something..I kind of forgot the experience. Of course I was at the game with a foreign national...her first game and she was naturally trying to follow the puck. She is a Euro soccer fan and I told her you have to watch the players positioning and how they anticipate the play etc like in soccer..and then she was like ..ah good point.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
thedjpd

Quote:

Schenn did for Hartnell last night what Hartnell normally does for Jagr. He made space. That's the best way I look at it. Hartnell doesnt' show up on the scoresheet (at least not until lately) nearly as much as the players he played with, but he allows them to do what they do. Schenn did that yesterday, and I hope he continues because he'll start burying the puck too.

See the second goal? Doesn't happen if Schenn doesn't go in there and bury the guy, forcing the sloppy play to Giroux who flipped it to Hartnell.

He was absolutely awesome yesterday.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really? I'm not arguing I have just never heard this in all the years I have watched/played hockey. What is the reason for that?
Quote:
Quote:
Not convinced about that.

Is there statistics that prove that?

Usually a D goes to the missing winger position so its still 3 vs 3 there, and if the puck goes back, the lone D shouldnt have a problem picking that puck up...
As has been said. A face-off counts as a team win aswell. Refs also seem to favour the attacking team on the face-off when on the powerplay, usually due to the defending player trying to cheat to gain the upper hand. Not to mention powerplay face-offs that occur outside the offensive zone. Defending teams often focus more on getting back into position, 3 on 2 outside the zone usually.

Considering most team often get more Powerplays at home than away, you have the added advantage of the defending player having his stick on the ice first also. Take a look at the stats on NHL.com

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Schenn did for Hartnell last night what Hartnell normally does for Jagr. He made space. That's the best way I look at it. Hartnell doesnt' show up on the scoresheet (at least not until lately) nearly as much as the players he played with, but he allows them to do what they do. Schenn did that yesterday, and I hope he continues because he'll start burying the puck too.

See the second goal? Doesn't happen if Schenn doesn't go in there and bury the guy, forcing the sloppy play to Giroux who flipped it to Hartnell.

He was absolutely awesome yesterday.
Was just coming here to post this. Totally took Boychuck (I think that's who it was) out of the play, that's why G and Hartnell had so much room. As we're seeing, the great thing about Schenn is that he can have a positive effect on the game without scoring points. That's a special quality.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:37 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
Anyone else see that hit he made on Boychuck against the boards right before Hartnell scored I think his second goal. Absolutely plastered him and it went unnoticed because there was a goal right after.
He was the main reason we got that goal. By taking out Boychuck, Harts was able to get open for the goal.

Fantastic phyical play that lead to a goal

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote