HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shootouts

Old
01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

vCash: 500
Shootouts

Following last night's game against the Penguins, the Habs have now lost 7 of 8 shootouts this season. Considering how important each and every point in the standings is over the course of a season, this is obviously a major issue. Having won 5 or 6 of this season's shootouts would have the team just 4 or 5 points outside of a playoff spot instead of 9 which would be much more reasonable.

Many people weren't happy with Cunneyworth's decision to have Gomez as one of his shooters last night. I can understand the frustration, however as you can see from the career numbers below, his choices are rather limited in terms of players with a history of success in shootouts, especially with Gionta out of the lineup.

Top 5 Habs Career Shooters
PlayerShotsGoalsS%
Andrei Markov10440%
Brian Gionta522038.5%
Tomas Kaberle13538.5%
David Desharnais6233.3%
Scott Gomez20630%
Career shootout stats for all current Habs:http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

A lot of fans have also laid the blame for the team's struggles in shootout this season on Price's performance (10 goals against on 20 shots this year). However, the Habs' shooters have only scored 4 times on a total of 26 attempts.

2011-2012:

Gionta: 2/4
Desharnais:1/4
Pacioretty: 1/6
Cole: 0/1
Kostitsyn: 0/1
Eller: 0/1
Kaberle: 0/1
Moen: 0/1
Gomez: 0/1
Subban: 0/1
Plekanec: 0/2
Cammalleri: 0/3

All that being said, how do you think the Habs can go about improving in the shootout? Would you prefer selecting the shooters based off past shootout success, performance in the night's game, or maybe recent ability in practice? Who would be your top three shooters for the rest of the season? Do you think specific payers should be targeted during the offseason to help in the shootout for next year?

Career shootout numbers for all active NHL skaters:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Bourque-Eller-Gionta-Cole-Kosty-Pleks

In this order.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Young Gun

Two things you need to win shootouts, a good goalie or good shooters, habs don't have any of the two. You fall on hard times when you don't have either.
This team is 2 d-man, one top 6 and two bottom 6 away from being an average team not to speak of being contender's, just average.
The management people missed the boat not signing size or 1 or 2 tough guys last couple of years. It's a free pass for all teams coming in to play the habs anymore.

Its a joke and Mulbury was right in what he said, this team needs to shape up or get the **** out of the NHL, no compete anymore

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Bourque-Eller-Gionta-Cole-Kosty-Pleks

In this order.
I'd agree with giving Eller more opportunities. His puck control is excellent and he scored a nice one on that penalty shot against Winnipeg. Bourque seems to have a great shot too, wouldn't be opposed to seeing how he does.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Habitants

Bourque need to be on the list. im dissapointed he did not shoot last night!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

This is why I did not find the selection of kaberle to be strange. Nobody is scoring in the shootout this year, so you might as well play with career percentages and try something different.

As for gomez, I didnt like that selection even though he's one of our better career shooters... he hasn't been a regular shooter for us since 09/10. He did score a couple goals early on in that year, but for a guy who hasn't scored in an actual game for over a year, it just feels hopeless.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
Bourque need to be on the list. im dissapointed he did not shoot last night!
yeah it would have beeen great.

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:58 PM
DrunkenHabz

Eller can spin. Gomez can pass. So hard to choose.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i hate shootouts

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Two things you need to win shootouts, a good goalie or good shooters, habs don't have any of the two. You fall on hard times when you don't have either.
This team is 2 d-man, one top 6 and two bottom 6 away from being an average team not to speak of being contender's, just average.
The management people missed the boat not signing size or 1 or 2 tough guys last couple of years. It's a free pass for all teams coming in to play the habs anymore.

Its a joke and Mulbury was right in what he said, this team needs to shape up or get the **** out of the NHL, no compete anymore
St. Louis is 1 - 5 in shootouts. Colorado 7 - 0. Should we even compare the goaltending between the two teams? How about the offence?

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i hate shootouts
I don't think you're in the minority with that opinion, but regardless they're part of the game and it's one of the big reasons the Habs aren't closer to a playoff spot this season. I think the shootout is something GM's have to at least take into consideration while building their teams these days.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Roulin

I don't like to rag on coaches too much for shootout choices. There's so much wacky stuff, goaltending and luck involved. As far as using stats, shootouts seem akin to faceoffs, where it takes hundreds to get some reliable data, and we don't have those numbers.

As far as whole whole concept, I like the occasional shootout, but I prefer games that are decided in overtime. I forget which media member proposed this, but I like the notion of 10 minutes of 4 vs 4 OT before shootout, rather than 5 minutes. This would make shootouts more of a rare treat for fans, and less of something where a fluky streak can make or break a team's season.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I don't like to rag on coaches too much for shootout choices. There's so much wacky stuff, goaltending and luck involved. As far as using stats, shootouts seem akin to faceoffs, where it takes hundreds to get some reliable data, and we don't have those numbers.

As far as whole whole concept, I like the occasional shootout, but I prefer games that are decided in overtime. I forget which media member proposed this, but I like the notion of 10 minutes of 4 vs 4 OT before shootout, rather than 5 minutes. This would make shootouts more of a rare treat for fans, and less of something where a fluky streak can make or break a team's season.
Don't hate it, but would prefer to see 5 shooters instead of 3 prior to elimination round. A 10 min OT 4 on 4 would be a good idea before heading to the shootout.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote