HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jarome Iginla - one of the most over paid players

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Phanuthier*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
What bothers me is Iginla accepts his slow starts, and uses the 1st half no-show as an excuse... I'm sorry Jarome, but if you are the highest paid player in the New NHL, you do NOT get to take half a season off. You got all your money, now it's time for you to earn it. Enough of this "I'll play in the 2nd half" BS... you play ALL season for $7 Mil, or give us $3.5 mil back!
Or, if you want to look at it this way, he gets $1 mill for the first half, $3 mill for the 2nd half and $3 mill for the playoffs.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:53 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Or, if you want to look at it this way, he gets $1 mill for the first half, $3 mill for the 2nd half and $3 mill for the playoffs.
He deserves 7 million alone for his game 7 versus the Canucks last year.. best game I have ever seen by one player.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:57 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
We need him to be our best player, we need him to carry us, and his inconsistent play is just disgusting. If he didn't take up so much of our cap space, I would cut Iginla some slack, but he asked for all the money, and he has to produce at that level. Its not just points either, he looks lost out there, dosent even look like he cares, hes just floating. All I want to know is what happened to Jarome Iginla the superstar, the face of the NHL, the face of the FLames, the leader and captian of this team, the 2 time goal scoring champion, I havent seen him like this before.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:57 AM
HackandLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi
He deserves 7 million alone for his game 7 versus the Canucks last year.. best game I have ever seen by one player.
Man!!! That's $116,666.66 PER MINUTE!

As a Flames fan, yes Iginla is one of the most overpaid players in the new NHL, but he's not overrated for what he tends to do in the 2nd half of the season and hopefully, can carry that into the playoffs.

Iginla is invisble most of the game and the Flames are just super-lucky that somehow, the 4th line has emerged as the best line and just about EVERYBODY ELSE besides Jarome Iginla seems to be scoring and winning games. Before, it was just the opposite. If Jarome didn't score, the Flames would lose.

Old
01-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
We need him to be our best player, we need him to carry us, and his inconsistent play is just disgusting. If he didn't take up so much of our cap space, I would cut Iginla some slack, but he asked for all the money, and he has to produce at that level. Its not just points either, he looks lost out there, dosent even look like he cares, hes just floating. All I want to know is what happened to Jarome Iginla the superstar, the face of the NHL, the face of the FLames, the leader and captian of this team, the 2 time goal scoring champion, I havent seen him like this before.
Well Iginla's not carrying this team (in fact, the team is dragging Iginla along) and the Flames are winning. Isn't that a good thing?

Yes Iginla took up alot of cap room, but he deserves it IMO because of what he does when we need him. He's in a slump, no doubt and no excuses, but at the same time, I recognize what Iginla does for this team when we need him.

On one hand, I do wish Iginla would wake up and play at the level that he can, but I recognize the fact that hey, Iginla is a slow starter, that he is likely injured and the team right now is winning dispite his play. No use crying over spilled milk... recognize your faults and try to fix them, but at the same time look at the positives and build on that.

Old
01-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube
Iginla is invisble most of the game and the Flames are just super-lucky that somehow, the 4th line has emerged as the best line and just about EVERYBODY ELSE besides Jarome Iginla seems to be scoring and winning games. Before, it was just the opposite. If Jarome didn't score, the Flames would lose.
That's a glass-half-empty comment. Simply put, the Flames find ways to win games. That's a characteristic of a good team.

The Flames might hold on tight to a 2-1 win, but they know how to win high scoring games too. The Flames might blow a lead, but they find ways to score to regain the lead. 3 times tonight, the Flames blew a lead, only to come back. The other team ties the game 4-4, and the Flames come back with another one. Sometimes its luck, but you have to be lucky to be good.

I don't think its a miracle that the Flames were saved by the 4th line at all. If it wasn't Donovan, it would have been a Kobasew or Lombardi.

Old
01-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
You really think he's entertaining?

The guy's a damn good player, he is a game breaker, he can dominate a game that very few in the NHL can do (only Forsberg comes to mind)
Have you seen Jagr play? Like... ever?

Old
01-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
Have you seen Jagr play? Like... ever?
ok, 2. My bad.

I'll throw in Crosby and Ovechkin just to keep HF happy

Old
01-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

I also believe he has a wrist injury, but thats my own personal belief, and I don't believe in excuses. Iginla has not played well.

I loved this part.

Old
01-01-2006, 06:08 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi
nice. Another Canuck fan sucking up to Calgary fans, why they do that I have no idea. Iginla is overpaid right now. He does not play like 7 million dollar man. Considering last season he wasnt that good with 69 points, not playing like the 7 million dollar play at all. Not saying he sucks. But if it was a Canuck player doing this, they be jumping all over this

Iginla overpaid. Theres a scouting report on how to shut him down, and its being used effectively.

Old
01-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund
Theres a scouting report on how to shut him down, and its being used effectively.
What's the scouting report?

Old
01-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Brad*

NHL players, and athletes in general, are "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay them. An NHL owner and general manager have obviously decided that the benefits Jarome Iginla brings to the Flames' franchise are worth $7 million dollars per year. Hockey is a sport, but it is also a business. Not only is Iginla a great player on the ice, but he's a very well liked athlete and marketable figure who makes money for the Calgary Flames, and the NHL. He brings in as much money for the team as he is being paid. All things considered, I'm sure the Flames are quite content with the return they are getting on their investment.

As far as Iginla as an NHL player is concerned, I'm not really sure why he is considered by some to be "overrated." All players slump at some point. It's an unavoidable part of the game for even the best players. It would incredibly short sighted to look at one small frame of time in which Iginla was "cold" and say that he's overrated. One could just as easily look at the instances in which he dominates and claim that he's underrated. The bottom line is that it's foolish to form an opinion on a player ad hoc based on a temporary amount of time. You'll find yourself with a very skewed sense of how good a player really is. Iginla has shown on multiple occasions that he is an elite player who happens to play his best hockey in the second half of the season, and I don't really think there's anything wrong with that.

Old
01-01-2006, 12:22 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Yes, that really explains "BTW, I said finisher, not scorer."

BTW, you still have to answere me how a "mediocre scorer" leads the league in scoring twice.
the answer to that is the same way martin st.louis wins the art ross. flukes can happen. players can play way over there ability sometimes. thats how.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
What's the scouting report?
Peca and Pronger
While the other two stars in Ulanov and Cross were a pair of pylons for the rest of the Flames forwards all night long.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Geese_Howard*

uhh why doesnt calgary get iggy a real center to play with then we would have none of these threads, those players u mentioned, all have great centers to play with, iggy plays with #3 centers/borderline #2

Old
01-01-2006, 03:52 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
uhh why doesnt calgary get iggy a real center to play with then we would have none of these threads, those players u mentioned, all have great centers to play with, iggy plays with #3 centers/borderline #2
maybe if Iggy didnt demand so much and accepted a million or two less dollars, we would have more flexibility in bringing in a #1 center for him. iggy had that choice, less money = better players to play with, or more $ = less skilled players on his line. He went with #2 surprisingly.

He is one of the highest paid players in the league but 65th in scoring (having played 38 games).

That is a serious problem with with the salary cap. If you put all of your eggs in one basket, and that basket is a little wonky.....

I wonder when a team will win the cup with a guy that is paid over 6-7 million will happen. My bet is not for a long time.

Last edited by PapaBear*: 01-01-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Goldark

I've always said that Jarome Iginla's one of the most overrated players in the league. He's had one great year and has been living off that reputation ever since. In my opinion, you cannot be the best forward in the NHL and only have scored above a PPG ONCE in your entire career.

Don't give me the excuse that he has no offensive talent to work with.

1) Great players produce regardless of who they play with. They make their linemates better.

2) Alexander Ovechkin has less to work with and is doing more.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytor4
the answer to that is the same way martin st.louis wins the art ross. flukes can happen. players can play way over there ability sometimes. thats how.
... twice?

Right...

Old
01-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Goldark

Quote:
... twice?

Right...
Jarome Iginla won the Art Ross twice? Must have missed the second time.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Goldark

And yes, before you answer, I know you're talking about the Richard trophy. My point still stands

Jarome Iginla has had only one season above a point-per-game.

Old
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
bhj

Iggy is a great player.. great heart, determination and great to the media and fans...

Maybe he is in a slump right now...
but being a Canuck fan.. whenever he plays against the nucks.. he is great.

Old
01-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
C'on, if we did that then every other week Satan would have his own thread.
Ouch! An obligatory random, yet predicatable shot at the Isles from a fan of the best team on the planet! Yipee!

Time to take the Prucha poster off your bedroom ceiling, and start growing up, sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
As far as Iginla as an NHL player is concerned, I'm not really sure why he is considered by some to be "overrated."
Because unfortunately attention spans, memories and patience run short among some. A couple of months play is a light year on this board.

Old
01-01-2006, 06:26 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
I've always said that Jarome Iginla's one of the most overrated players in the league. He's had one great year and has been living off that reputation ever since. In my opinion, you cannot be the best forward in the NHL and only have scored above a PPG ONCE in your entire career.

Don't give me the excuse that he has no offensive talent to work with.

1) Great players produce regardless of who they play with. They make their linemates better.

2) Alexander Ovechkin has less to work with and is doing more.
I agree. thats why for instance Forsberg is still the best player today, therefore he should make more. But thats not the case.

Old
01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Because unfortunately attention spans, memories and patience run short among some. A couple of months play is a light year on this board.
That's the long and short of it

I'd rather take a guy that can and already has done it, over a guy who hasn't done it yet and MIGHT be able to do it.

Old
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Mike Works*

Send a message via AIM to Mike Works*
Jarome Iginla isn't overpaid, he earned the $7 million he's getting paid this season when he took the Flames to the Finals last year.

Wonderful logic!

Closed Thread