HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Erik Karlsson a diver?

View Poll Results: Is Erik Karlsson a diver?
Yes, he's a diver. 35 33.33%
No, he's not a diver. 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
jbeck5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Why? The ref told the Coach not the media.
The point is that he said it. He's making false claims to save his ass. If he's a diver, he'd have more then 1 very arguable diving call in 3 years. If it was a dive, call a dive. Basically the ref is saying he's an idiot who doesn't know how to do his job. He's straight up telling the coach that there was a penalty but he didn't call it.

Either way you slice it, it's poor officiating on his part. Go ahead, try to defend him. You can't. Either way, the reffing is in the wrong. Either he missed the call on the trip, or he missed the call on the dive. He said karlssons a diver, so he missed the call on the dive and blatantly admitted he saw the penalty, but wasn't gonna call it. THATS poor officiating. Not pro-standards.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
The point is that he said it. He's making false claims to save his ass. If he's a diver, he'd have more then 1 very arguable diving call in 3 years. If it was a dive, call a dive. Basically the ref is saying he's an idiot who doesn't know how to do his job. He's straight up telling the coach that there was a penalty but he didn't call it.

Either way you slice it, it's poor officiating on his part. Go ahead, try to defend him. You can't. Either way, the reffing is in the wrong. Either he missed the call on the trip, or he missed the call on the dive. He said karlssons a diver, so he missed the call on the dive and blatantly admitted he saw the penalty, but wasn't gonna call it. THATS poor officiating. Not pro-standards.
I'm not saying he was right or it wasn't poor officiating but he gave his opinion to the coach not to the media. The problem is that diving isn't called with any consistency in the league, some refs just let it go, some give matching minors and very rarely does a player just get 2 mins for diving.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'm not saying he was right or it wasn't poor officiating but he gave his opinion to the coach not to the media. The problem is that diving isn't called with any consistency in the league, some refs just let it go, some give matching minors and very rarely does a player just get 2 mins for diving.
So what you're saying is either the league is ******** for implementing rules and telling the refs not to call them, or the refs are ******** for not calling the rules?

If he's such a diver that he's recognized as a diver, he'd have more then 1 diving penalty. If his "dives" were not worthy enough of penalties, then he shouldn't be labeled a "diver" and have calls go against him with bias. Just like if i was gonna call someone hitter, i'd make sure they have more then 1 hit in 3 seasons. If the hits weren't big enough to register as a hit(like his dives not being blatant enough to register a diving penalty), then i'd have to think twice about calling him a hitter(or diver), no?

I don't know how you can defend the ref here. It's not even about the play/non call. It's about his claim. Either he's a diver and he should get diving penalties, or he's not and don't call him one. You can't have it both ways.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
So what you're saying is either the league is ******** for implementing rules and telling the refs not to call them, or the refs are ******** for not calling the rules?

If he's such a diver that he's recognized as a diver, he'd have more then 1 diving penalty. If his "dives" were not worthy enough of penalties, then he shouldn't be labeled a "diver" and have calls go against him with bias. Just like if i was gonna call someone hitter, i'd make sure they have more then 1 hit in 3 seasons. If the hits weren't big enough to register as a hit(like his dives not being blatant enough to register a diving penalty), then i'd have to think twice about calling him a hitter(or diver), no?

I don't know how you can defend the ref here. It's not even about the play/non call. It's about his claim. Either he's a diver and he should get diving penalties, or he's not and don't call him one. You can't have it both ways.
Oh no... a ref didn't call a penalty when there was a penalty... that never happens!!! Call a lawyer!

Consistency and application of the rules have always been an issue and not just against the Sens or Karlsson and not just in regards to diving. Not sure why you're all bent out of shape about it. And are we sure he called Karlsson a diver or that he said that particular play was him diving. Huge difference.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Oh no... a ref didn't call a penalty when there was a penalty... that never happens!!! Call a lawyer!

Consistency and application of the rules have always been an issue and not just against the Sens or Karlsson and not just in regards to diving. Not sure why you're all bent out of shape about it. And are we sure he called Karlsson a diver or that he said that particular play was him diving. Huge difference.
You're clearly missing the fact. I specifically mentioned that it isn't about the missed call...it's about him calling him a diver. It's like you ignored my post/missed the whole point of it on purpose.

Sounds like he said karlsson is a diver and not that karlsson dove on that one particular instance. Either way, i'd be pissed if i was karlsson.

I once got called for diving.I was sooo mad. I got a beauty pass at the opposition blueline and was spliting the D going much faster and one D trips me up so i basically face plant and slide towards the goalie one instant i'm about to go on a breakaway.The next thing i know im on my belly...wtf?...whistle..i'm wondering, is it a penalty shot,or pp? The linesman grabs both of us, and i got a penalty for diving. Why the F- would i dive when im busting in on a clear breakaway. Everyone who plays hockey knows you would prefer splitting the D and going on the breakaway and wouldnt dive to get a 2 min call to see your teamates on the pp. we're selfish, we want the goal. That's what happened to karlsson here so he's pissed off. I would be, and was when it happened to me. There's nothing worse then a ref accusing you of diving when it isn't the case. If a ref will say those words, he better damn well be sure.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:02 PM
cpcftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...ole?catid=1141

Karlsson addresses the official's comments in this interview.
Wow Karlsson is so mature and diplomatic about it. Future captain for sure.

cpcftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I can accept this explanation why he fell, but why does he whine to the ref afterwards?
Honestly, if I tripped up and felt a stick on me, I'd probably think it was a person tripping me too. I would assume that's why he spoke to the ref after.

I see it playing out like this, Karlsson skating very fast, has player whack at his thighs as he hits a rut and he falls down. Thinks he was tripped. But he was not. Good call from Refs -- as a player that's hard to see. Karlsson probably should not have complained, but who knows what he felt and what happened. Karlsson isn't typically the type to complain but he was probably fuming because he would have had a solid shot, and it was at a crucial moment of the game, emotions run high (and there were a few bad calls to go in favour of the ducks).

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
You're clearly missing the fact. I specifically mentioned that it isn't about the missed call...it's about him calling him a diver. It's like you ignored my post/missed the whole point of it on purpose.

Sounds like he said karlsson is a diver and not that karlsson dove on that one particular instance. Either way, i'd be pissed if i was karlsson.

I once got called for diving.I was sooo mad. I got a beauty pass at the opposition blueline and was spliting the D going much faster and one D trips me up so i basically face plant and slide towards the goalie one instant i'm about to go on a breakaway.The next thing i know im on my belly...wtf?...whistle..i'm wondering, is it a penalty shot,or pp? The linesman grabs both of us, and i got a penalty for diving. Why the F- would i dive when im busting in on a clear breakaway. Everyone who plays hockey knows you would prefer splitting the D and going on the breakaway and wouldnt dive to get a 2 min call to see your teamates on the pp. we're selfish, we want the goal. That's what happened to karlsson here so he's pissed off. I would be, and was when it happened to me. There's nothing worse then a ref accusing you of diving when it isn't the case. If a ref will say those words, he better damn well be sure.
Quote:
How else should that comment be taken other than you're complaining about the accuracy and full application of the rules?

There is a huge difference between saying he's a diver or that he just dove on the play which in real time I don't blame the ref for thinking that. One is saying the ref specifically has it out for Karlsson because of his "reputation" as the whole point of the thread was basically "does Karlsson have a reputation of a diver" the other just saying he embellished to get a call late in the game the ref wasn't biting which doesn't mean the ref thinks he always dives but just in that one instance he thought it was. And with out anyone being there and knowing exactly what the ref said you can't claim to know that "it sounds like" he was being called a reputational diver.

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

That Condra tripping call was a real winner with 5 minutes left.

I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't for that call.

It's the inconsistency that is very annoying.

If he'd missed it, no big deal, this stuff happens. But then, to find out that the ref had some bizarre agenda going, it's kind of absurd.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
SpezDispenser

No he is not. That ref was the biggest tool around.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
That Condra tripping call was a real winner with 5 minutes left.

I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't for that call.

It's the inconsistency that is very annoying.

If he'd missed it, no big deal, this stuff happens. But then, to find out that the ref had some bizarre agenda going, it's kind of absurd.
This in a big way. Ref blew two calls in the final 5 minutes of a 1 goal game.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan191919 View Post
If nobody saw the video, here it is.

and no i dont think it was a dive

Uh...how is that a dive? What was Getzlaf's stick doing there? Obvious penalty.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

The play in question was definitely not a penalty. I've also never heard of or seen Karlsson diving with any sort of regularity, so don't know wtf Lee is coming from with that explanation.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:53 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
I'd like anyone who voted yes to prove it.
i'd like anyone who voted no to prove it!!!!11!O1onon1on1oneoneoeneone

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Minister of Offence

Tonight with Dan O'Rourke:

Karlsson tripped blatantly, no call. (I thought the Getzlaf one was actually no-called correctly)

Borowiecki with soft board call, force didn't even make the guy hit the boards.

Phillips stick chopped in half by a slash, no call.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Tonight with Dan O'Rourke:

Karlsson tripped blatantly, no call. (I thought the Getzlaf one was actually no-called correctly)

Borowiecki with soft board call, force didn't even make the guy hit the boards.

Phillips stick chopped in half by a slash, no call.
His ego is too big for his own good. But that's a discussion for a different thread.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:23 PM
SpezDispenser

This thread is about over. O'Rourke is a ******, tonight makes it 100% obvious. Diver is code for = I have no idea what's a penalty or not a penalty.