HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #13

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 01:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #13

Previous thread for reference:

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #12

01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
You really ended the other one a bit early.

Old
01-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
For all those who didnt see it in the last thread, the new (unofficial) hfboards chatroom is :
#hockeysfuture on irc.rizon.net

Old
01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Ference gets 3 games for his cheap shot on McDonough ... apparently no injury.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:46 PM
MsWoof

Tim Thomas boycotted the Bruins trip to the whitehouse today because he's a Republican. What an ass. He couldn't put aside his political beliefs for one day for his teammates? One of two Americans on the Bruins and he chooses not to show.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Tim Thomas boycotted the Bruins trip to the whitehouse today because he's a Republican. What an ass. He couldn't put aside his political beliefs for one day for his teammates? One of two Americans on the Bruins and he chooses not to show.
Wow, that is lame.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Go For It

That's beyond lame. No matter what you think about him, he's still the President.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
kevinjd182

I need advice on what to do with Ryan Miller on my fantasy team.

My goalies:
Miller
Backstrom
Elliot

Elliot was great early, but Halak seems to be starting to take the reigns. Or at least split time. Backstrom also splits time. So the only regular I have is Miller who has stats similar to Bryz.....

Some of the decent goalies left as FA are...
Nabokov
Varlamov
Harding
Enroth
Neuvirth
Chris Mason

Old
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well I think it's more that he is a partisan idealogue than just the fact he's a republican hence why he couldn't separate his political beliefs from his professional life. That's why I dislike partisan extremes from both sides but hey I guess he's entitled to his beliefs and he wants to remain true to his convictions . I just didn't know he was that politically strong with his views. I guess him and Snider would get along considering Snider is pretty staunch himself...

Article: http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...ma-111928.html

Old
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Thomas is just creating a controversy around himself. Is it really worth it?

01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Thomas is just creating a controversy around himself. Is it really worth it?
He's made a team event all about himself. They can't be too happy about it.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Yep, himself and his political beliefs...when he plays in a city that, if I'm not mistaken, has a pretty liberal leaning. No good.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
http://www.facebook.com/TimThomasOff...13644295344651

Quote:
I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.
This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.
This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT
Hypocrite.

Quote:
I've seen your comments around on this, I don't think anyone has said it better.

If I'm one of the Dan Paille's of the world, I'd like one last chance to enjoy my Stanley Cup moment during the heat of the season with all of my teammates. I'll likely never get another chance. It's not a political event, it's a team event.

He's also opened himself up to be a distraction, and perhaps down the line. Maybe he'll be confronted by it and feel that it's out of line.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Prongo
Beer

Is it me or does Bill Pidto seem to be annoyed by E.J Hradek every time they are on the show together. I personally like Hradek and think he is funny Pitdo seems to get annoyed at him almost always during the show

Old
01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Is it me or does Bill Pidto seem to be annoyed by E.J Hradek every time they are on the show together. I personally like Hradek and think he is funny Pitdo seems to get annoyed at him almost always during the show
That's exactly why i hate watching it with them too..

Old
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I agree haha.

Not sure if you watched NHL live when they had their older studio/set but I think EJ has toned it down a lot since they reformatted the show. Before when Don Lagrecca(sp?) was host EJ practically jumped around the studio singing songs about hockey. Also, I must say the show needs JImmy Dowd to return

Old
01-23-2012, 06:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Thomas' statement was hypocritical when he said that it was not about "politics", but I applaud him for taking a stance in general on the American political climate.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I agree haha.

Not sure if you watched NHL live when they had their older studio/set but I think EJ has toned it down a lot since they reformatted the show. Before when Don Lagrecca(sp?) was host EJ practically jumped around the studio singing songs about hockey. Also, I must say the show needs JImmy Dowd to return
Yea I remember watching it in the older studio. Hradek brings some energy to the studio and also just absolutely loves the game, which I love to see with the anchors. I always wondered what happened to that Don fellow? He wasn't that bad and always wore those ugly ass shirts .

Old
01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Thomas' statement was hypocritical when he said that it was not about "politics", but I applaud him for taking a stance in general on the American political climate.
I feel the same.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:35 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Thomas' new nickname: the TT Party.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I characterize his statement as contradictory more than anything although I do agree both parties have and continue to contribute to the problem but his Big Gov't characterization sounds Tea Partyish or Paulist to me and it's a bit too ideological for my taste and also not entirely accurate IMO.....

But whatever...he's entitled to his views and if he feels that strongly about them then he's trying to be true to his convictions which I can't completely knock. I understand why he did what he did but don't agree with it given that the visit was meant for the country to honor the team ....and the president for all his flaws (like those before him) represents the country. He must really hate the dude though...

Old
01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I characterize his statement as contradictory more than anything although I do agree both parties have and continue to contribute to the problem but his Big Gov't characterization sounds Tea Partyish or Paulist to me and it's a bit too ideological for my taste and also not entirely accurate IMO.....

But whatever...he's entitled to his views and if he feels that strongly about them then he's trying to be true to his convictions which I can't completely knock. I understand why he did what he did but don't agree with it given that the visit was meant for the country to honor the team ....and the president for all his flaws (like those before him) represents the country. He must really hate the dude though...
I don't know if I'd want to visit the President after winning a championship regardless of which political party he was from. The two party system, thanks partially to the media and big business that fund it, has become gigantic joke that just promotes more and more extremism. The Presidential election is proving no more important than the Super Bowl; the ones purchasing advertisement slots are the real winners.

Still, if my teammates were going to get praised, I'd go for them regardless of how I felt about the situation.

That doesn't mean Thomas has to agree with my reasoning on the subject.

I mean after all, it's a free(-ish) country.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I don't know if I'd want to visit the President after winning a championship regardless of which political party he was from. The two party system, thanks partially to the media and big business that fund it, has become gigantic joke that just promotes more and more extremism. The Presidential election is proving no more important than the Super Bowl; the ones purchasing advertisement slots are the real winners.

Still, if my teammates were going to get praised, I'd go for them regardless of how I felt about the situation.

That doesn't mean Thomas has to agree with my reasoning on the subject.

I mean after all, it's a free(-ish) country.
Yeah I know....it would be hard for me I have to be honest b/c I've been disgusted for a long time now with this best democracy money can buy crap we've had to deal with but still I would do it for my team and not put myself above them. I still don't condone what he did but again can understand his rationale a bit more....looks like he is actually a bit more nuanced in his views than I thought even if I don't totally agree with his slant....

Old
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Yeah I know....it would be hard for me I have to be honest b/c I've been disgusted for a long time now with this best democracy money can buy crap we've had to deal with but still I would do it for my team and not put myself above them. I still don't condone what he did but again can understand his rationale a bit more....looks like he is actually a bit more nuanced in his views than I thought even if I don't totally agree with his slant....
No matter what his view, as others said, Thomas made a team celebration all about him.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think the more and more the recent political mess unfolds with SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, a few others, and the NDAA which theoretically makes speaking out against them and protesting them an act of treason punishable by indefinite and un-Constitutional detention, the more you're going to see bigger and bigger names becoming shockingly vocal, NHL players included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
No matter what his view, as others said, Thomas made a team celebration all about him.
I doubt he meant it as a selfish act. I'm willing to let it slide.

The country is more important than one man's "selflessness."

Closed Thread