HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Possibly moving to Schenectady

Old
01-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

vCash: 500
Possibly moving to Schenectady

Hey Ranger fans, I need some information from you all. My cousin is looking to possibly buy a house in Schenectady right near Union College, and I'd be moving in with him. I'm trying to find out about the potential flood problems that the city itself has first and foremost, but I'd also like your input on the city in general, what the atmosphere is like and how two 25 year old college students would like it up there.

Thanks in advance!

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
Hey Ranger fans, I need some information from you all. My cousin is looking to possibly buy a house in Schenectady right near Union College, and I'd be moving in with him. I'm trying to find out about the potential flood problems that the city itself has first and foremost, but I'd also like your input on the city in general, what the atmosphere is like and how two 25 year old college students would like it up there.

Thanks in advance!
Boring as **** hick town. Best thing to do in Schenectady is go up to Saratoga Springs.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:27 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Best zip code ever

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
Boring as **** hick town. Best thing to do in Schenectady is go up to Saratoga Springs.
Even by the University? I mean, we're not looking to move to a big city like NY, but I'd hope for at least some night life! I noticed there's a train from Schenectady to NY, so I'd imagine that's a pretty easy option for a good night, at the very least?

Old
01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
This essentially. The girls up there seem pretty slutty though, if that's any sort of incentive. The train to NY from up there would be like ~2 hours though, I'd figure.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
518NYRfan

i live about 15 minutes from schenectady... theres not much to do.. you can go to albany or saratoga to go bar hopping. theres saratoga race track in the summer for the horses.. otherwise i hope you like golf, and cow tipping. oh and btw unless you have satellite you wont be seeing any ranger games on tv unless they are on nbc. FU TIME WARNER!

518NYRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 518NYRfan View Post
i live about 15 minutes from schenectady... theres not much to do.. you can go to albany or saratoga to go bar hopping. theres saratoga race track in the summer for the horses.. otherwise i hope you like golf, and cow tipping. oh and btw unless you have satellite you wont be seeing any ranger games on tv unless they are on nbc. FU TIME WARNER!
Thanks for the info. What's the flooding problem like? I know the county is prone to flooding, but the city itself? I'm sure I'll be getting center ice or game center for hockey, I can't live without Ducks hockey.

Any hockey rinks in the are? I play in the top divisions in the adult leagues here in California and I'd hate to go somewhere that doesn't have a place to play.

Old
01-21-2012, 04:28 PM
518NYRfan

Quote:
Thanks for the info. What's the flooding problem like? I know the county is prone to flooding, but the city itself? I'm sure I'll be getting center ice or game center for hockey, I can't live without Ducks hockey.

Any hockey rinks in the are? I play in the top divisions in the adult leagues here in California and I'd hate to go somewhere that doesn't have a place to play.
city really doesnt flood at all. nothing to worry about in that regard.
plenty of rinks around. probably 15 or so i can think of off the top of my head within a 20 minute drive radius of downtown schenectady. with union college, rpi, and various stand alone rinks all easily accessible. lots of open hockey and leagues to join. i played when i was a bit younger in the NEMHL midget league (15-18) so ive probably played in the vast majority of the rinks in the area. albany devils games can be seen very cheaply (like 15$ a ticket) and the NJ devils are usually in town for pre-season hockey as well. (im a Rangers fan EFF the devils lol.) Overall its a decent area but its not city life.. pretty laid back. traffic probably isnt anything like california rush hour but it can be annoying at times. any other questions then fire away.

Old
01-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Go up to Saratoga Springs. Great night life, great bars. You'll have a blast.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 518NYRfan View Post
city really doesnt flood at all. nothing to worry about in that regard.
plenty of rinks around. probably 15 or so i can think of off the top of my head within a 20 minute drive radius of downtown schenectady. with union college, rpi, and various stand alone rinks all easily accessible. lots of open hockey and leagues to join. i played when i was a bit younger in the NEMHL midget league (15-18) so ive probably played in the vast majority of the rinks in the area. albany devils games can be seen very cheaply (like 15$ a ticket) and the NJ devils are usually in town for pre-season hockey as well. (im a Rangers fan EFF the devils lol.) Overall its a decent area but its not city life.. pretty laid back. traffic probably isnt anything like california rush hour but it can be annoying at times. any other questions then fire away.
Awesome, thank you for the information it's greatly appreciated. What's the weather like around there? I know it's cold and it snows ect ect, but is it windy? We're just trying to accumulate any information we can before we take a trip out there to look at potential houses to buy, so any information for better or worse is appreciated.

Old
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
This essentially. The girls up there seem pretty slutty though, if that's any sort of incentive.

I knew your infatuation with Gary Coleman could only last so long.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
518NYRfan

Quote:
Awesome, thank you for the information it's greatly appreciated. What's the weather like around there? I know it's cold and it snows ect ect, but is it windy? We're just trying to accumulate any information we can before we take a trip out there to look at potential houses to buy, so any information for better or worse is appreciated.
depends on the day.. its currently 10* outside. got an inch or so of snow today. if you are truly looking for a house in the area, niskayuna is literally right down the road from schenectady (maybe 3 minutes) and is a bit more upscale, suburbia type atmosphere. 80s/90s in the summer..wind isnt usually that bad. it really is a nice part of the country if you want to experience all 4 seasons.. hockey season, football season, golf season and winter.

Old
01-21-2012, 11:51 PM
SML

You should rent for a year before you buy anything in Schenectady. Property is very cheap, but there are some very dangerous areas right near Union. (Less than 5 miles)You may get into a place cheap, but never be able to unload it. I live about 10 minutes away across the river. No public housing projects, low crime with the exception of the Walmart shoplifting, and really no further away from anything. Schenectady has gangs, murders, drugs, and at one point they were talking about disbanding the city police force and having troopers take over because of corruption. The ex chief of police went to prison for his role in a drug trafficking scandal. So, there are nice parts of the city, but the taxes are high to support all the places that aren't nice. The area right directly around Union is pretty safe though. Just stay away from anything a realtor tells you is in the Hamilton Hill section. Straight up bad news. They'd eat two college kids for breakfast over there.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
You should rent for a year before you buy anything in Schenectady. Property is very cheap, but there are some very dangerous areas right near Union. (Less than 5 miles)You may get into a place cheap, but never be able to unload it. I live about 10 minutes away across the river. No public housing projects, low crime with the exception of the Walmart shoplifting, and really no further away from anything. Schenectady has gangs, murders, drugs, and at one point they were talking about disbanding the city police force and having troopers take over because of corruption. The ex chief of police went to prison for his role in a drug trafficking scandal. So, there are nice parts of the city, but the taxes are high to support all the places that aren't nice. The area right directly around Union is pretty safe though. Just stay away from anything a realtor tells you is in the Hamilton Hill section. Straight up bad news. They'd eat two college kids for breakfast over there.
He's pretty dead set on buying. The houses he's looking at right now are literally across the street from Union, so I suppose that's the good area. I'm a bit surprised that there would be gang activity of the scale you described in that sort of town. Being from CA I'm no stranger to gangs, I can't imagine it's that bad in a small city like Schenectady. I'll let him know about that, thanks.

Old
01-22-2012, 07:28 PM
strumwolf

I wouldn't buy right in Schenectady. Rotterdamn is not bad. I have a few friends that live there. Don't get distracted that Schenectady is a small country city. Not a place I would get caught alone at night. Even right outside Union.
They have made an effort to cleanup "downtown" but it will take some time to get rid of the riff raff.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Canjo
AVA

I live about half an hour from schenectady, I avoid it at all costs. I'm sure there are nice parts of the city, but my personal experiences haven't been that pleasant, and I would err on the side of caution if you really want to buy a place there for many of the reasons that have already been listed - corruption, gangs, no nightlife (unless you count getting stabbed)

but, thats just, like, my opinion, man

Canjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:12 PM
NYR Viper

I have to laugh at everyone calling it a "hick" or "country" town. It is anything but.

I would recommend moving as close to Niskayuna as possible. It may put you 5-10 minutes from the campus, but it is a far nicer and safer area to live in.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
strumwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I have to laugh at everyone calling it a "hick" or "country" town. It is anything but.

I would recommend moving as close to Niskayuna as possible. It may put you 5-10 minutes from the campus, but it is a far nicer and safer area to live in.

Well it sure isn't a booming metropolis. To be fair I did say it is a country CITY and I don't mean barn yard animals in the street, more along the lines of a small city surrounded by the country.

I do agree that Niskayuna is much better than Schenectady itself. Maybe even one of the nicer area in the region, aside from Saratoga.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote