HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Power Play Discussion

Old
01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
The Power Play Discussion

Our PP sucks. Why don't we have Gaborik deflecting shots near the net like he did two years ago?

Also use this thread to discuss other problems with the PP.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
They don't move enough. Everyone just stands there, but tries to make the perfect play. They're trying to open up a shooting lane, but that won't happen if you're not moving. I'd rather have them just shoot low, and shoot often. Try to get a rebound off the goalie's pads. Get in front of the net. Unfortunately, no one on this team knows what a one-timer is, otherwise I'd rather have someone been firing them from the faceoff circles. There is no reason why a powerplay including Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Del Zotto, etc. should suck as bad as it does.
Better yet, just watch the other PP's in the league.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
They don't move enough. Everyone just stands there, but tries to make the perfect play. They're trying to open up a shooting lane, but that won't happen if you're not moving. I'd rather have them just shoot low, and shoot often. Try to get a rebound off the goalie's pads. Get in front of the net. Unfortunately, no one on this team knows what a one-timer is, otherwise I'd rather have someone been firing them from the faceoff circles. There is no reason why a powerplay including Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Del Zotto, etc. should suck as bad as it does.
Precisely. Look at our 4 on 3 last night to see this in action.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
frankthefrowner

To me its coaching at this point... I think Sullivan does Defense and PK very well, i dont think he knows his ass from his elbow when it comes to the Power Play. I know Torts like a 2 man bench but it might be time to consider taking on a 3rd guy back there to handle the Power Play.

I watched the Islanders last night and while they dont score a ton, when they are on the power play it actually looks like they have the Man Advantage. We look are just constantly battling the other team for the puck.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

It has to be coaching. I'm convinced. If given a different system these players could totally adhere to it and flourish on the PP. We can't set up the play for our lives and we dump it into their zone and can't follow through. The other night we got two icings on one powerplay. Icings. On a powerplay. We need to stop this cookie-cutter conservative way of going about setting up a play and be more confident in our passing and ability to shoot the puck.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
They know what one-timers are. Our coaches just don't put them in position to take one timers. It's easier to shoot one-timers when you're on your off-side (righty shooter on the left, lefty shooter on the right) but our coaches seem petrified to actually put anyone on their off-side.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
ck20

Movement, movement, movement. This is what our PP severely lacks. I don't know why, maybe this conversation came up around the same time I saw this other game, but I remember watch TB on a powerplay and how they would constantly be moving. Skating in small circles, looping around, switching at the point, etc. We grow roots and pray they twitch in a way that allows us to make a perfect cross-crease tap-in pass+goal or some other perfect play. I can't recall how many times in the last half dozen or so games where we've kept trying that sort of play (cross-crease tap-ins) and have the play unfold 1 of 2 ways: 1) the recipient completely ****s it up; 2) the play gets read like a cheap novel. I mean, we don't need another coach for the PP, all we need is someone to say to them "Hey, move around a little bit."

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'd like D-Step to be planted in front of the net. He has amazing hand-eye coordination and I think he'd be great in redirects.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

We do not have a legit right-handed shot on this team.

A lot of teams who are successful on the PP run some sort of variation of the Umbrella formation.

You have your PP QB in the middle of the ice at the blue line, two guys at the bottom of the circles ready for the one-timer (A righty on the left side, a lefty on the right side) and two guys in front of the net/down low.

How many PP goals have Stamkos, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc scored by standing at the top of the circle on the left side and firing one-timers? We don't have that option, which takes away half of the ice.

Usually our Umbrella consists of Gaborik, Del Zotto, and Richards, all who are left-handed shots. Stepan and Callahan are set up either in front or down low. Neither have a good enough shot/one-timer to score from the top of the circles. When Del Zotto gets the puck in the middle of the ice, he has a one-timer option to the right side (either Gaborik or Richards) or he skates a bit to the right and then hits Gaborik or Richards to the left who have to receive the pass first, turn their body towards the net and then shoot. That gives the goalie enough time to get set.

Look at Tampa Bay's power play, they were lethal in the playoffs last year. St. Louis as the QB in the middle of the ice, Stamkos and Lecavalier at the top of the circles ready to rip one timers, and Purcell/Malone down low and in front of the net.

This team needs a Selanne or a Whitney at the deadline to give them that other option to shoot off the pass.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

they are also too slow on the PP. when they get a rebound they have to pass it and get another shot off quick. if they take a shot and it goes into the corner they bring it back to the point slowly and start all over. they need to get the puck back quickly and fire another shot. too much one and done on the PP.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

We need to stop dumping it in on the powerplay. I've never seen a successful team do that

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
strumwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sauer View Post
We need to stop dumping it in on the powerplay. I've never seen a successful team do that
I don't know. With our forecheck it could work. It seems that not much was happening unless we got the puck down low.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
wr50l

Fundamentally poor. Every part of it is broken so there is no opportunity to focus in practice on one or two things which aren't clicking.

The sticks are on the wrong side of the ice, the players don't move or think with any urgency, puck carrier cannot shoot because the shot blockers are always in position and there is only one attacker near the net, the puck carrier cannot pass because the pass blockers are always in position despite having three teammates around the perimeter who are supposed to get open. The effectiveness would increase dramatically if one player just took it upon themselves to skate right into the middle of the defensive box and ask some questions of the penalty killers.

And that's just our first unit. The second unit is filled with disappointing players with no desire to take the lead; goes out for a turn and plays it like your typical 5on5 with the intent of just killing 40-60 seconds.

It's the type of amateurism which would see a coach fired if said coach wasn't doing other crucial duties.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:18 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

They aren't fast at anything on the pp.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

100% coaching.

No movement, no shooting, guys all over the place, etc.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Stop trying to make the perfect play, get the puck on net, crash the net. Keep one defenseman back, have one move in to potentially shoot in the puck if they can get it out and loose, two forwards on the goalie, one just outside the crease.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
We do not have a legit right-handed shot on this team.

A lot of teams who are successful on the PP run some sort of variation of the Umbrella formation.

You have your PP QB in the middle of the ice at the blue line, two guys at the bottom of the circles ready for the one-timer (A righty on the left side, a lefty on the right side) and two guys in front of the net/down low.

How many PP goals have Stamkos, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc scored by standing at the top of the circle on the left side and firing one-timers? We don't have that option, which takes away half of the ice.

Usually our Umbrella consists of Gaborik, Del Zotto, and Richards, all who are left-handed shots. Stepan and Callahan are set up either in front or down low. Neither have a good enough shot/one-timer to score from the top of the circles. When Del Zotto gets the puck in the middle of the ice, he has a one-timer option to the right side (either Gaborik or Richards) or he skates a bit to the right and then hits Gaborik or Richards to the left who have to receive the pass first, turn their body towards the net and then shoot. That gives the goalie enough time to get set.

Look at Tampa Bay's power play, they were lethal in the playoffs last year. St. Louis as the QB in the middle of the ice, Stamkos and Lecavalier at the top of the circles ready to rip one timers, and Purcell/Malone down low and in front of the net.

This team needs a Selanne or a Whitney at the deadline to give them that other option to shoot off the pass.
Pretty much so this. Someone I'd like to see them try having out there on the PP is Stralman. Good passer, good shot, and I think at this point it should be worth trying out there. If anything he'll at least be able to one time pucks on the left hand side of the ice. Stepan could also be used there, but he needs to be told to shoot more than someone like Stralman would.

I believe this is what they are looking for in whatever kind of forward they add come deadline day OR someone who can play on their third pairing with a bomb of a shot. There is a reason a few years ago people wanted Anton Babchuk on this team. His shot is a bomb and he'd use it a lot on our PP. Only downside, he's a mess defensively.

If they cannot have a right handed shot there, the QB needs to be set up on the left hand side of the ice and needs to look for the one timer at the top of the umbrella or across to the guy on the other circle. If we're going to have someone do that, I'd prefer it to be Del Zotto setting up Richards or Gabby for one timers.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:11 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumwolf View Post
I don't know. With our forecheck it could work. It seems that not much was happening unless we got the puck down low.
Our forecheck coughs up pucks to the other team like nobody's business. We need to get our passing in their zone down and move around.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved83

Not trying to pick on him, but DZ likes to telegraph his passes. Our powerpass as a whole is just too predictable.

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Levitate

Look at a team with a good PP and look how most of them play with a sense of urgency and make quick, hard passes.

The Rangers spend too much time lolly gagging with the puck and acting like they have all the time in the world and if they just wait a little bit longer then the perfect chance will magically appear

Move the puck faster, move the feet faster.

Even without a right handed shot, the PP should be better

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Crease

Whats our faceoff % on the PP? Gotta be under 40%. Costs us at least 30 seconds and usually we can't even get set up after bringing the puck back up the ice.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Whats our faceoff % on the PP? Gotta be under 40%. Costs us at least 30 seconds and usually we can't even get set up after bringing the puck back up the ice.
That's part of the reason I think Dubi should be on the PP. He'd win a lot more faceoffs than the rest of our centers and he'd plant himself in front of the net and score a lot of goals with his grit and size. He'd also be a nightmare for some of the smaller D in the league.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

To the stat freaks:

How is our PP this year compared to last?
It was pretty horrible last year, and it might just be selective memory, but it seems even worse this season even with the addition of Richards.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Vancouver has the best PP in the league. They always someone(Kesler or Burrows) in front of the net. Edler has 18 of his 34 points on the PP. The Sedins have the puck on a string. The PP is Torts' baby.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:29 PM
MSG the place to be*

We have no shooting threats. That's certainly a problem. Richards has a pretty good shot but he's never in a prime shooting position. However, I'm not one of these people advocating to find a shooter. I'm way more concerned with just having 12 forwards and 6 D who play the Torts way than I am about finding a designated shooter.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote