HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen/Martin

Old
01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
This sums up this entire thread. Some people just don't get hockey.
there really are no words

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

How about Goligoski and Martin have different values depending on what your team needs? If you need mobility and offense but are willing to sacrifice a bit on the back end then it's Goligoski. If you need similar mobility but can handle underwhelming offensive acumen for more stability in your own end, it's Martin. Of course if you're one of those people that still think Martin is a zen master in his own zone then you're simply not going to hear the argument.

Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 01-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:51 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
How about Goligoski and Martin have different values depending on what your team needs? If you need mobility and offense but are willing to sacrifice a bit on the back end then it's Goligoski. If you need similar mobility but can handle underwhelming offensive acument for more stability in your own end, it's Martin. Of course if you're one of those people that still think Martin is a zen master in his own zone then you're simply not going to hear the argument.

That's the part I don't get. People think he's Lidstrom - without the offense.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
[/B]

we don't. He's just way better than people here give him credit for. He gets criticized for every little thing he does more than anyone else on the team. He was getting called out in the GDT last game for things that happened while he was on the bench.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
[/B]

Pretty much this

Honestly, Martin is a good defenseman. I will agree to that. But just what exactly is he so absolutely stellar at, that losing him would automatically make us a horrible team? I don't get the love affair with these "superb skills" he supposedly has. Enlighten me.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
Pretty much this

Honestly, Martin is a good defenseman. I will agree to that. But just what exactly is he so absolutely stellar at, that losing him would automatically make us a horrible team? I don't get the love affair with these "superb skills" he supposedly has. Enlighten me.
he is better at stopping other teams from scoring than anyone we have to replace him. its pretty much that simple. If we trade him we would need to bring someone else in because I don't want Niskanen or Engelland to be our number 4. I wouldn't want Lovejoy or Despres in come playoff team unless we had a more reliable/proven number 7 either.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we don't. He's just way better than people here give him credit for. He gets criticized for every little thing he does more than anyone else on the team. He was getting called out in the GDT last game for things that happened while he was on the bench.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Typical HF logic that you either have to be black or white on a player. There is no in between.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flying Birds View Post
I am 100% serious.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Shady Machine

Man, all this hate for Paul Martin. The guy can't help how he looks.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Erz8771

We are notorious for needing whipping boys, as far back as I can remember there was always one or two guys on our team who couldnt do a thing right. This year its Martin and Sullivan.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersiziz77 View Post
We are notorious for needing whipping boys, as far back as I can remember there was always one or two guys on our team who couldnt do a thing right. This year its Martin and Sullivan.
well, when in Rome

Old
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

Paul Martin reminds me of Conan O'Brien in a strange way. Either that or Ellen Degeneres. But that's beside the point.

Martin is a good defenseman. I was happy when we acquired him. I just hate his cap hit for someone who doesn't bring multi-demensions to the game. I also think the only reason Michalek isn't leading in shot blocking is his own bit of struggling this year/injuries. I also think Orpik & Michalek are better at preventing goals than Martin, honestly.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Pretty much this

I don't know, when you're being paid a certain amount you need to be an impact player, and he's far from it.

He's a "good" defenseman in a League full of "good" defensemen. Nothing more nothing less.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Paul Martin reminds me of Conan O'Brien in a strange way. Either that or Ellen Degeneres. But that's beside the point.

Martin is a good defenseman. I was happy when we acquired him. I just hate his cap hit for someone who doesn't bring multi-demensions to the game. I also think the only reason Michalek isn't leading in shot blocking is his own bit of struggling this year/injuries. I also think Orpik & Michalek are better at preventing goals than Martin, honestly.
Michalek maybe. Orpik is strongly disagree on. He makes more bad plays than Martin. He just makes more obvious "impact" plays so people are ok with it.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
malkovsby

Quote:
Michalek maybe. Orpik is strongly disagree on. He makes more bad plays than Martin. He just makes more obvious "impact" plays so people are ok with it.
atleast he makes an impact, and brings a physical element the team needs. people all say "oh its the small things martin does, stop stat watching" as if their professional scouts. iv seen more than enough of martin to have him figured out as a dman. he is bad under pressure, non-physical and has little offensive acumen. his redeeming factor of helping the transition game disappears under an organized forecheck. hes the whipping boy of the pens because he makes 5 million and for that salary fans expect an impact player. not someone who plays 25 mins a night, including 4 on the pp, and registers no points, 2 hits and a minus 1.

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I am 100% serious.
Are you sure it wasn't Paul & Bob posting? They do it every single game.

Park = Sullivan didn't you know.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Martin is a very good defenseman who had a very bad couple of months. Is he worth 5 million per? Probably not, but he's not fantastically overpaid for what he typically brings either. If you want to trade him, he's certainly gonna draw interest, but you need to do so in the knowledge that it opens up a hole in our top 6 that will need to be filled adequately, and i'm not sure any of the possibilities are ready to take that step and take on those minutes and responsibilities, at least not right now.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote