HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen/Martin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
  #51
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
This sums up this entire thread. Some people just don't get hockey.
there really are no words

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
  #52
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
How about Goligoski and Martin have different values depending on what your team needs? If you need mobility and offense but are willing to sacrifice a bit on the back end then it's Goligoski. If you need similar mobility but can handle underwhelming offensive acumen for more stability in your own end, it's Martin. Of course if you're one of those people that still think Martin is a zen master in his own zone then you're simply not going to hear the argument.


Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 01-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:51 PM
  #53
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
How about Goligoski and Martin have different values depending on what your team needs? If you need mobility and offense but are willing to sacrifice a bit on the back end then it's Goligoski. If you need similar mobility but can handle underwhelming offensive acument for more stability in your own end, it's Martin. Of course if you're one of those people that still think Martin is a zen master in his own zone then you're simply not going to hear the argument.


That's the part I don't get. People think he's Lidstrom - without the offense.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
  #54
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
[/B]

That's the part I don't get. People think he's Lidstrom - without the offense.
we don't. He's just way better than people here give him credit for. He gets criticized for every little thing he does more than anyone else on the team. He was getting called out in the GDT last game for things that happened while he was on the bench.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:09 PM
  #55
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412
 
ShatteredGlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
[/B]

That's the part I don't get. People think he's Lidstrom - without the offense.
Pretty much this

Honestly, Martin is a good defenseman. I will agree to that. But just what exactly is he so absolutely stellar at, that losing him would automatically make us a horrible team? I don't get the love affair with these "superb skills" he supposedly has. Enlighten me.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
  #56
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
Pretty much this

Honestly, Martin is a good defenseman. I will agree to that. But just what exactly is he so absolutely stellar at, that losing him would automatically make us a horrible team? I don't get the love affair with these "superb skills" he supposedly has. Enlighten me.
he is better at stopping other teams from scoring than anyone we have to replace him. its pretty much that simple. If we trade him we would need to bring someone else in because I don't want Niskanen or Engelland to be our number 4. I wouldn't want Lovejoy or Despres in come playoff team unless we had a more reliable/proven number 7 either.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #57
High Flying Birds
Registered User
 
High Flying Birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
we don't. He's just way better than people here give him credit for. He gets criticized for every little thing he does more than anyone else on the team. He was getting called out in the GDT last game for things that happened while he was on the bench.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #58
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Typical HF logic that you either have to be black or white on a player. There is no in between.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
  #59
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flying Birds View Post
I am 100% serious.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  #60
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,815
vCash: 500
Man, all this hate for Paul Martin. The guy can't help how he looks.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:25 PM
  #61
Erz8771
Registered User
 
Erz8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: T.Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
We are notorious for needing whipping boys, as far back as I can remember there was always one or two guys on our team who couldnt do a thing right. This year its Martin and Sullivan.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
  #62
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintersiziz77 View Post
We are notorious for needing whipping boys, as far back as I can remember there was always one or two guys on our team who couldnt do a thing right. This year its Martin and Sullivan.
well, when in Rome

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
  #63
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412
 
ShatteredGlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Paul Martin reminds me of Conan O'Brien in a strange way. Either that or Ellen Degeneres. But that's beside the point.

Martin is a good defenseman. I was happy when we acquired him. I just hate his cap hit for someone who doesn't bring multi-demensions to the game. I also think the only reason Michalek isn't leading in shot blocking is his own bit of struggling this year/injuries. I also think Orpik & Michalek are better at preventing goals than Martin, honestly.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
  #64
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
Pretty much this

Honestly, Martin is a good defenseman. I will agree to that. But just what exactly is he so absolutely stellar at, that losing him would automatically make us a horrible team? I don't get the love affair with these "superb skills" he supposedly has. Enlighten me.
I don't know, when you're being paid a certain amount you need to be an impact player, and he's far from it.

He's a "good" defenseman in a League full of "good" defensemen. Nothing more nothing less.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
  #65
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 34,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy412 View Post
Paul Martin reminds me of Conan O'Brien in a strange way. Either that or Ellen Degeneres. But that's beside the point.

Martin is a good defenseman. I was happy when we acquired him. I just hate his cap hit for someone who doesn't bring multi-demensions to the game. I also think the only reason Michalek isn't leading in shot blocking is his own bit of struggling this year/injuries. I also think Orpik & Michalek are better at preventing goals than Martin, honestly.
Michalek maybe. Orpik is strongly disagree on. He makes more bad plays than Martin. He just makes more obvious "impact" plays so people are ok with it.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
  #66
malkovsby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Michalek maybe. Orpik is strongly disagree on. He makes more bad plays than Martin. He just makes more obvious "impact" plays so people are ok with it.
atleast he makes an impact, and brings a physical element the team needs. people all say "oh its the small things martin does, stop stat watching" as if their professional scouts. iv seen more than enough of martin to have him figured out as a dman. he is bad under pressure, non-physical and has little offensive acumen. his redeeming factor of helping the transition game disappears under an organized forecheck. hes the whipping boy of the pens because he makes 5 million and for that salary fans expect an impact player. not someone who plays 25 mins a night, including 4 on the pp, and registers no points, 2 hits and a minus 1.

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
  #67
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I am 100% serious.
Are you sure it wasn't Paul & Bob posting? They do it every single game.

Park = Sullivan didn't you know.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
  #68
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Martin is a very good defenseman who had a very bad couple of months. Is he worth 5 million per? Probably not, but he's not fantastically overpaid for what he typically brings either. If you want to trade him, he's certainly gonna draw interest, but you need to do so in the knowledge that it opens up a hole in our top 6 that will need to be filled adequately, and i'm not sure any of the possibilities are ready to take that step and take on those minutes and responsibilities, at least not right now.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.