HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horton Diagnosed With a Mild Concussion

Old
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
Horton Diagnosed With a Mild Concussion

Every angle I have seen it looks like a clean hit.

Blindside? Yes.
Head? No.
Little late? Eh.

Either way should be an interesting fuel to the Flyer VS Bruins rivalry that has exploded since we embarrassed them in the 2010 playoffs.

MOD EDIT:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...ild-concussion

Quote:
“I don’t have an official update other than I think it’s a mild concussion from what I heard and what I saw last night,” Chiarelli said. “I talked to him again today and these things are day-to-day. It may not be, there’s that gray area between when you take your impact tests and you see how it is the next day, the following day and then you make that determination. He’s in that gray area.”

Early in the second period of Sunday’s shootout victory over Philadelphia, Flyers forward Tom Sestito came in with a high hit on Horton. Horton stayed in the game for the rest of the period but sat out the third.

Horton, of course, suffered a severe concussion in Game 3 of last year's Stanley Cup finals and missed the rest of the series. He struggled at the beginning of this season and admitted that effects of the concussion may have been partly to blame.
January 25 Boston Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...64&format=text

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Forty-six games into the season, Bruins [team stats] winger Nathan Horton had not missed a single game — despite returning from a devastating concussion suffered in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals last June.

It was an injury that made it impossible for Horton to do his normal offseason routine. Yet he was one of just six B’s who’d played every game.

Last night, Horton finally sat out, still feeling the effects of a mild concussion suffered Sunday on a hit from the Flyers’ Tom Sestito — an unpenalized hit that was looked at by the league, but not deemed worthy of a suspension.

“He’s doing as good as he can for a guy with a mild concussion,” Bruins coach Claude Julien said before his team dropped a mistake-filled 5-3 decision to the Capitals. “He didn’t skate (yesterday). He’s still suffering from mild headaches. Concussions, as we’ve always talked about, are day-to-day. Hopefully by the end of this five-day (All-Star) break we’ll have the news we want to hear.”

Rich Peverley moved up into Horton’s right wing spot on the line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic. But Julien did some line juggling, especially after Krejci blocked a shot with his ankle early in the game and missed most of the first period. He returned later and finished the game fine.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-25-2012 at 04:16 PM.
hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Jeesh...what an epidemic....I missed the hit. Anybody have a clip they can post?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Yep, at about 25 seconds:

01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Flyerfan4life

anyone else think they are handing out concuss. injury's to easily ???

its not like anything this year is different from previous recent years in terms of how hockey is played.

but suddenly it seems like if anyone gets contacted remotely hard, its a automatic concuss. injury

perhaps the league is trying to backdoor in some forced changes, and this is how they go about showing its required.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

http://youtu.be/dz707r9mEyk

Go to the 20 sec mark.

I should note I haven't been able to find an definitive news release that he has a concussion. I received a nasty gram from one of my friends who is a Broon fan lol.

I will say for a concussed player, he sure gets up quickly and wants to fight.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I feel bad for Horton and hope his career isn't affected by multiple concussions.

However, the hit was clean in the sense that it was body on body. It was not high, nor was the head targeted. Could it have been a little late? Maybe but it's debatable. Was It a "blind side hit" maybe, but this is also debatable.

I don't think sestitos intention was to injure Horton, and while I wouldn't be surprised to see a minor suspension based of the notion that it may have been late/blind sided, anything more than a couple games would be overkill and a mistake in my opinion.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
It was pretty late. Not a good hit IMO.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I think its important to remember that lateral hits are not illegal. Lateral hits to the head are.

I can't see anything coming out of this except more Gummy Bear fan rage and conspiracy.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Every angle I have seen it looks like a clean hit.

Blindside? Yes.
Head? No.
Little late? Eh.

Either way should be an interesting fuel to the Flyer VS Bruins rivalry that has exploded since we embarrassed them in the 2010 playoffs.
Looked alot like JVR hit without the elbow to the head. No idea how Horton gets a concussion on that. He got right back up and decided to cheapshot Sestito with a crosscheck. Was it from the Bourdon crosscheck to the back smacking Horton's head straight into the glass. That'd be my guess.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
It was pretty late. Not a good hit IMO.
It could have been a bit late, but not late enough to classify it as malicious in my eyes. It was pretty close.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
The hit isn't late. Going by what the league has deemed acceptable in the past that is well within the time frame for a legal hit.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep, at about 25 seconds:

So, Ive timed it with my stopwatch. it was .5 seconds from when the puck left horton's stick until he was hit. That may seem like not a lot of time but it was enough for Sesitito to avoid the hit.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

the contact with Horton was clearly an 'awkward hit':

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1086625

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Nathan Horton is most likely suffering from a mild concussion, said GM Peter Chiarelli. Horton, who attended today's White House ceremony, was hurt in yesterday?s second period when he was hit from the side by Philadelphia's Tom Sestito.

Horton is doubtful for tomorrow's game against Washington, Chiarelli said.

@GlobeFluto

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._horton_m.html

Old
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Nathan Horton is most likely suffering from a mild concussion, said GM Peter Chiarelli. Horton, who attended today's White House ceremony, was hurt in yesterday?s second period when he was hit from the side by Philadelphia's Tom Sestito.

Horton is doubtful for tomorrow's game against Washington, Chiarelli said.

@GlobeFluto

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._horton_m.html
The OP was previously edited to provide a link.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Honestly? I think its a pretty clean hit.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
So, Ive timed it with my stopwatch. it was .5 seconds from when the puck left horton's stick until he was hit. That may seem like not a lot of time but it was enough for Sesitito to avoid the hit.
He doesn't have too. .5 seconds is well within the "legal limit" that the NHL has always enforced.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
anyone else think they are handing out concuss. injury's to easily ???

its not like anything this year is different from previous recent years in terms of how hockey is played.

but suddenly it seems like if anyone gets contacted remotely hard, its a automatic concuss. injury

perhaps the league is trying to backdoor in some forced changes, and this is how they go about showing its required.
NO!

As someone who suffers from post concussion syndrome on a daily basis because "I just got my bell rung" during my 15 years of playing hockey. They are absolutely doing the right thing. Did players back in the day play through them, yes? Keith Primeau still has problems to this day. Guys missing games isn't the end of world, compared to them having serious mental issues later in life ranging from dementia to Parkinsons, depression. Concussions are the injury that keeps on giving long after you finish your playing days. It's not like a broken bone. The NHL is absolutely doing the right thing when it comes to treating players once they are concussed. They don't hold people out as a result of hard hits, they hold them out because they have symptoms. If you watch 24/7, it gives you a good idea of how they deal with it.

It also seems that once you've had one, it's easier to get another one. Horton & crosby definitely are examples of that. My last concussion was 2 years after i stopped playing, I just bumped my head on table after reaching down to pick something up. I have trouble finding words, headaches and I'm only 32! It scares me and i'm sure it scares pronger to where you never know if you are going to be 100% well again.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Beautiful and clean hit.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Those announcers are trolling there for some "justice" when last I checked the Bruins are the ones getting suspened for illegal hits, no?

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Amateur Hour

The hit's a little late, but Horton was caught admiring his pass. Again.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Honestly, I think the hit where he jumped into the defenseman behind the net was more borderline than this one. This hit shows the lack of respect for his opponents that is parto f what you get for Sestito, but it is (stupidly, IMO) not illegal.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
NO!

As someone who suffers from post concussion syndrome on a daily basis because "I just got my bell rung" during my 15 years of playing hockey. They are absolutely doing the right thing. Did players back in the day play through them, yes? Keith Primeau still has problems to this day. Guys missing games isn't the end of world, compared to them having serious mental issues later in life ranging from dementia to Parkinsons, depression. Concussions are the injury that keeps on giving long after you finish your playing days. It's not like a broken bone. The NHL is absolutely doing the right thing when it comes to treating players once they are concussed. They don't hold people out as a result of hard hits, they hold them out because they have symptoms. If you watch 24/7, it gives you a good idea of how they deal with it.

It also seems that once you've had one, it's easier to get another one. Horton & crosby definitely are examples of that. My last concussion was 2 years after i stopped playing, I just bumped my head on table after reaching down to pick something up. I have trouble finding words, headaches and I'm only 32! It scares me and i'm sure it scares pronger to where you never know if you are going to be 100% well again.
Good post. It's interesting to hear yr POV on the current situation as you are forced to live with this affliction. If the league and the game as a whole must take these measures to prevent this happening to more players in the future, so be it.

Thanks again for this post and here's hoping that you get clear of it.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
BernieParent

I don't see late; as AndyPipkin wrote,even a second after puck possession should be acceptable. And I don't see blindside; Sestito hit him in the chest, as shown if you freeze it at 24 seconds. And I don't see high either.

Any suspension is reactionary to the injury, and an appeasement to the Bruins.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Suspended4Life

Late hit: no
High hit: no...hit him in in the chest
Blind hit: eh...hard to say, Horton actually kind of turns toward Sestito right before he gets hit

In my opinion it could have been called a penalty maybe (refs always seem to come up with stupid calls - charging, roughing, etc at inappropriate times) but it's certainly not suspension worthy.

I love how every hit is a "hit up high" to these Boston announcers. Both Hartnell and Schenn's hits both were textbook legal hits.

Last edited by Suspended4Life: 01-24-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote