HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Running up scores

Old
01-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Mast3r Ch33f
Oh hai p30polezzz

vCash: 500
Running up scores

Opinions on them? Appropriate at any level? Beer leagues, house leagues? AAA games and Rep?

Mast3r Ch33f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Pog Form

Unless you're in a tournament or some other set-up where goals for are a tie-breaker, it's usually in poor taste in my opinion.

-edit- speaking from a beer league guy

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Thepandamancan

As a goalie I hate it, but I play in a league where the top scorer gets a free season. I don't like it, but I get it...goals matter and I believe you shouldn't stop playing until the game is over.

However, it's one thing if your leading goal scorer adds to his/her totals. It's in poor taste if their worst player gets an easy tap in cause my defense stopped playing and they stop to celebrate it.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

As long as you don't celebrate

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:21 AM
cheap77
Go Kings!

No such thing as running up scores in sports.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Doughnuts08

It's your job to keep the other team from scoring, not their job to take it easy on you.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:09 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
Agreed. But you stop celebrating at a point.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
Apparently there was an U18 tourney in Asia where Korea beat Thailand 92-0. Yes, that is a final score in a hockey game.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Steelhead16

As a coach of both hockey and baseball I reign my teams in when the game is clearly decided. I still want them to play but I don't have them take bases on passed balls or steal bases. I won't tell them not to shoot on a breakaway but we will concentrate more on passing and making plays and ease up on the fore check.

When I was kid my AA pee wee team had a team in our league made up of AAA kids who didn't like the AAA coach and decided not to play for him and play down. Their closest game all season was 24-0. We lost to them once 35-0 and the shots were 108-2. 35 years later and it still pisses me off.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Halifaxhab*

Running up the score could entice the other team to start getting frustrated and make some dirty plays to get back at you.

I just played in a Mens tournament that made Goals Against the deciding tie breaker. This made it less likely teams would try to run it up.

There was a team in the tourney that had a curfew, wore ties, no booze...they took it seriously, and would still run the score up anyway. They won, but only because my team was still wiping off stripper glitter from our faces when we walked into the rink...and it was 4OT in the final...oh, and I made sure their captain knew how everyone else in the tourney felt about them when I puked on his skates during a faceoff in the 3rd OT..... beer during the game = bad idea, it doesn't count as a carbo load . Also, we had waaaayyyy more fun , and the winner only got 300 bucks.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
hockeyr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
However, it's one thing if your leading goal scorer adds to his/her totals. It's in poor taste if their worst player gets an easy tap in cause my defense stopped playing and they stop to celebrate it.
Really? Usually when it is lopsided you are supposed to try to get your guys who normally see less ice time a goal.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
pelts35.com

Played my beer league game last night. My team had 8 skaters and we were playing the best team in the division above us who had a full bench. We lost 8-0 and were outshot 40-4 (not really sure if we had 4, but I think they had more than 40) and with under a minute left to go, they were still skating hard, setting up plays and taking shots. IMO at that point it would have been more sporting to either pass the puck around the neutral zone or just dump it in.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyr5 View Post
Really? Usually when it is lopsided you are supposed to try to get your guys who normally see less ice time a goal.
I'm not saying the guy shouldn't play (I am terrible as a skater so I was in a lot of those situations) and shouldn't score whether or not my defense gives up. It's poor taste/sportsmanship if they celebrate it like they just scored the biggest goal of the game. Get your goal, fist bump your team mates a little, line up for the faceoff, and get ready to play defensive hockey until the other team breaks down defensively that you're able to score again.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I never stop trying to score, but I don't celebrate if the game is out of hand. Had four goals my first game this year and I think on the fourth I just went right back to the faceoff circle.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Gibson19

Running up the score is lame if you're obviously at a different skill level than the rest of the players.

It happens in every beer league I've watched though. There is always a ringer or two that should be playing a higher level and gets a hat trick almost every game (our league only allows a player to score 3 goals and anything more doesn't count, to discourage this sort of thing). Sometimes this policy sucks, but ultimately it's helped our team more than it's hurt. Just frustrating when you get 3 goals (and you normally never score) and then you aren't allowed to score anymore.

Obviously you stop celebrating at a certain point. I've heard guys going crazy when they score and are now up by 6 goals. That's just annoying.

Gibson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
mbeam

Keep scoring but stop celebrating. Maybe don't give 110% but don't give the other team fake opportunities to get back into it.

In beer league, obviously people get the most offended by it but unfortunately its necessary. Many of these leagues have up to a hundred teams and keeping track of which division every team should be in is done solely on results. If you ease up, maybe give them a couple goals, then later down the line neither of your teams will be realigned to the proper division for the relative skill levels.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Keep scoring but stop celebrating. Maybe don't give 110% but don't give the other team fake opportunities to get back into it.

In beer league, obviously people get the most offended by it but unfortunately its necessary. Many of these leagues have up to a hundred teams and keeping track of which division every team should be in is done solely on results. If you ease up, maybe give them a couple goals, then later down the line neither of your teams will be realigned to the proper division for the relative skill levels.
I think when you are up 8-0 with a minute to go and the other team has only managed 4 shots on goal I don't think there's a reason to keep trying to score with the fear that the other team may "get back into it".

Funny thing last night is with about 30 seconds to go my team managed to clear the puck and I yelled out to the bench to see if they wanted me to come up. There was an audible laugh from everyone on the ice, including the officials and both benches.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Ozz

When my team gets into that situation, we turn the game into a mini practice to work on some things that we feel need attention. We continue to try to score but we worry about other things first.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

usually, I say there is a point where you take the foot off the pedal a little and don't try to score on every shot. That doesn't mean stop shooting altogether.

The one team that we played during the final game of the season last year was up something like 10-1 or 10-2. Being that we play in a small league where mostly everybody knows everybody (league is maybe 100 deep) and only maybe 2 or 3 of the people genuinely hate each other, we agreed to run the clock for the 3rd so we could get home at a decent hour. Some people might take it as showboating, but the team that was up was trying stuff they normally wouldn't try in a close game. We ended up losing something like 14-5 or 15-4, but we didn't care. We knew where the talent was that game, and it wasn't on our bench.

That being said, if there's a team playing rough or like it's game 7 of the Cup Final, and they keep playing dirty after it's 6-1, I have no problem with the winning team dropping another 10 on them.

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I think when you are up 8-0 with a minute to go and the other team has only managed 4 shots on goal I don't think there's a reason to keep trying to score with the fear that the other team may "get back into it".

Funny thing last night is with about 30 seconds to go my team managed to clear the puck and I yelled out to the bench to see if they wanted me to come up. There was an audible laugh from everyone on the ice, including the officials and both benches.
No, obviously 8-0 with 4 shots against you don't need to worry about that . I was thinking more along the lines if it was 5 or 6-0 and it could easily be 10-0 but your team held up a bit. A 5-1 or 5-2 score seems a lot more competitive then and you might run the risk if the league not knowing how to properly realign either team. In the league I play in we have two realignments a year (more under special circumstances) and I know for a fact that the league doesn't watch the games but just relies on the score to determine who goes where. The worst teams aren't the ones who run up the score - they're the ones who sandbag it to stay in a lower division and win the championship.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a tough one. The one thing you don't want to do is take your foot off the gas completely, but yeah I think you should back off a bit.

Sometimes though the other team is so bad it is hard not to beat them bad even when you are going at about 50%.

In my last game we won 8-0, but we ended the first 1-0. I think the second ended 5-0 and in my league anything can happen. Still in the third we played the third line a lot and got 2 more goals. With about 5 min left to play I was at the point on D and a puck came out and was just sitting in the slot. Being a d-man not that many of those golden opportunities present themselves so I knocked that one home. I yelled out a yeah when it went in, but that was just my natural reaction. I then skated right to the circle and got a couple of high fives from my team. I know the ref and he gave me ****, but I scored all of 3 goals last season so it was hard not to be excited about getting one in game one.

I saw a few guys in the bar from the other team afterwards and I apologized for the celebration and the breezed over it and said it was no big deal at all. They had not given it a second thought.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
I say after 5-0 you try to pass more and stop the celebrations.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Gino 14

Like so many subjects on here, it's too bad it even has to come up for question. House and beer league players should have enough common sense and dignity to not run up scores needlessly but there's always some mental midget that feels it's their shot at stardom. It's a game, it's always been a game and it will still be a game when we're dead.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Ozz

On this note, we had a situation once where a good portion of our team had to leave a game early in order to go play at another league they were part of. As luck would have it, on this night, none of our reserves showed up. We ended up playing half the game down a man with no subs, and the other time kept rolling full lines and coming at us full steam.

This was the #1 team in the division and they really didn't have to try to make us die, but they did. I think in that whole time we let up 2 goals, basically just clearing it out every time we touched it just to get a breather. We knew we'd lose so we just considered it a killer practice on our penalty kill So they beat us by 4 total, and we ended up taking them out of the playoffs en route to winning the championship. Sweet vindication.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:14 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

if a team starts gooning it up when they are losing, we dont feel bad running up the score and celebrating loudly and proudly (bangaraaang! ... ru-fi-oooooo!)

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote