HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
BKR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
and they'd be more then happy to laugh in your face.
Since you're clearly tight with the Dallas GM, why don't you tell me what he might want in return then...?

Old
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR View Post
Since you're clearly tight with the Dallas GM, why don't you tell me what he might want in return then...?
I would imagine it would be a similar return on what you would expect if we were to trade kopitar. Basically a huge overpayment or they wouldn't be traded.

I would love either player, but unless we are ready to unload kopitar, Richards or doughty, I would imagine there is nothing Dallas would want from us.

Dean could probably pose an interesting offer of dmen, but I would doubt Dallas would bite since they are still within reach of the playoffs.

Old
01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
How is he injury prone? He missed a total of 46 games in his entire career, including the 17 he missed this year. He missed 35 games in 4 junior years before that, and some of those were missed so he could play in the WJC twice. I estimate he really missed only about 12 games in his entire junior career to injuries, assuming he didn't have a suspension or two I'm unaware of.

So in his seventh NHL season he's missed 46 games (an average of 6.7 games per season and about 58 games total in the last 11 years (just over five a season). He's also played 81 or more games three times in his NHL career.

How is he injury prone?
I didn't look at his games missed, it just seemed like through the years he's been hurt often, especially lately. Apparently I was wrong.

Regardless, I've never liked his game and believe there is a good reason Flyers fans were happy to see him go. Just my opinion.

Old
01-23-2012, 06:13 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Parise anyone!?
So wait. The team that signed the most ridiculous contract in NHL history, is now out of money and struggling to make payroll twice a month?

Karma B!$^*%s!

Old
01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
So wait. The team that signed the most ridiculous contract in NHL history, is now out of money and struggling to make payroll twice a month?

Karma B!$^*%s!

Old
01-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR View Post
Someone already said it.

Richards, Kopitar, or Doughty...

If i'm the Dallas GM, and the Kings want to trade for one of our best players, if not the two best players overall and our leading scorers......I would make them give up one of their best players in return.

Brown and Johnson would not cut that cake.

On Dallas that is a 2nd line winger and a 2nd pairing defensemen for a top line, almost elite, forward.

Benn is flirting with 80+ points, as is Eriksson. Anything less then Kopitar would be unfair to them.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Someone already said it.

Richards, Kopitar, or Doughty...

If i'm the Dallas GM, and the Kings want to trade for one of our best players, if not the two best players overall and our leading scorers......I would make them give up one of their best players in return.

Brown and Johnson would not cut that cake.

On Dallas that is a 2nd line winger and a 2nd pairing defensemen for a top line, almost elite, forward.

Benn is flirting with 80+ points, as is Eriksson. Anything less then Kopitar would be unfair to them.
I understand the reasoning for Eriksson. But not Benn. Brown scored 33 goals in his third full season with the Kings. For me Benn is still unproven so I wouldn't have done any blockbuster overpayment deals for him yet. Maybe in 2 years, but not now.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I understand the reasoning for Eriksson. But not Benn. Brown scored 33 goals in his third full season with the Kings. For me Benn is still unproven so I wouldn't have done any blockbuster overpayment deals for him yet. Maybe in 2 years, but not now.
Yea i'll agree with that. Benn still has some proving to do. He's on the right track, but you are right, he very much has to prove it still.

Eriksson, to me, is almost like Dallas's Kopitar.

Old
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Nex06

Quote:
I see him the same way. It's important what a player means to HIS team. He is their franchise player and as close to being untouchable as other franchise players. It would take a huge offer to move him.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post

well done. Though to me Kovalchuk is the second worst contract behind this one:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1101

Quote:
Yea i'll agree with that. Benn still has some proving to do. He's on the right track, but you are right, he very much has to prove it still.

That's why I'd rather have him than Rick Nash, especially since Eriksson's cap hit is almost half of what Nash's is. Eriksson's not a one-trick pony either. Did you see Nash's goal last night? Nice goal, but there's a reason he got that break on the turnover and it's because he was trailing the play back up the ice. Eriksson's much better defensively.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
SFKingshomer

Benn is their #1 center and a big reason they could afford to let Richards walk.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post

Karma B!$^*%s!

Old
01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

True, but I kind of give that contract a pass as Ricky D will be retired due to all the injuries in a couple years so it won't matter, you remove the injuries and it's not a bad deal at the time... The Kovalchuk deal on the other hand is basically a blatant attempt to circumvent the cap and bend the system to the breaking point, that to me makes it more ridiculous than the DiPietro one.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I really want Jeff Carter. Columbus and LA make such great trading partners too. That would be my deadline wish.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
01-24-2012, 01:02 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I really want Jeff Carter. Columbus and LA make such great trading partners too. That would be my deadline wish.
I like the idea too... where do you see him fitting in line wise? I haven't followed his career much but know some have questioned his character - thoughts? I know DL is all about character players, but at some point you have to take a risk and hope it yields rewards.

What sort of assets do you see going to CBJ? The Kings would obviously have to clear a lot of cap space. Which also begs the question: Do the Kings want to commit to Carter for 10.5 years at an annual cap hit of $5.2+mil?

Also, do you think Columbus is looking to move him? It's tough for them to get players to committ to them long term, and he's currently locked up through 2022.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
HAHA yea I was gonna say.

Rick DiPietro says hi. Such a stupid stupid contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Benn is their #1 center and a big reason they could afford to let Richards walk.
I will say it was kind of a risk to put that on Benn so early in his career. Calculated risk...but it looks like it might have been a good move so far. Dallas got younger, and they put Benn into a great position to succeed.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
null33

Quote:
Not really feeling it for Jeff Carter.

10 and 7 for 17 this season, -9, missed 18 of the first 48 (and counting -- out indefinitely with a separated shoulder), and a lengthy (although affordable) contract, with an NTC that kicks in this summer.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post

10 and 7 for 17 this season, -9, missed 18 of the first 48 (and counting -- out indefinitely with a separated shoulder), and a lengthy (although affordable) contract, with an NTC that kicks in this summer.
Also a center, of which we now have six, plus a reputed prima donna. I think I'd rather have Anson back.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

Does Carter play wing? I don't think he and Rick played much on the same line in Philly did they?

Old
01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Agreed. At the deadline we'd only need to have approximately $900,000 available in cap space, and we have that already. Next year we'd be ok with Penner coming off the books, and his $4.5 million cap hit is almost equal to Carter's $5.27 million cap hit.

We might have to worry a bit in 2013-2014 when Quick's extension kicks in, but that gives well over a year to figure it out and the cap could rise a bit in there as well.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Carter has primarily been a C his entire career as Philly usually used him and Richards as their top two centers. Last season, after Giroux emerged as one of Philly's top players, Carter was shifted to play wing.

Philly's centers last season were Briere, Giroux, Richards and Betts. Briere primarily played with Leino and Hartnell, which was their top line. Behind them was Giroux centering Carter and Zherdev (or Nodl). Richards was centering Versteeg and van Riemsdyk (or Carcillo). When Carter was hurt during the playoffs, JVR moved up and Carcillo took his spot on the Richards line.

So to answer your question, Carter does have experience playing wing, although his natural position is center, and he did not play on the same line with Mike Richards, other than them being together on special teams.

In that sense, Carter kind of reminds me of Bernie Nicholls. He has a huge shot (like Bernie), not the swiftest skater but he'll be your primary weapon on the powerplay and can shift to wing whenever needed, which is what the Kings did at times by having Nicholls on the ice with Gretzky. Pair Carter with Kopitar and Brown and slide Williams down to play with Richards.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:14 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post

CBA guys, I have a Q.

Does the NTC carry over if traded? I thought I recalled someone saying that if a player is traded the clause goes away, even if traded before the clause would have kicked in. Someone had mentioned this in regards to Richards and said the NTC was up to the team that traded for him to honor or not. Anyone know for sure (not speculating) what the case is?

Old
01-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He's played wing and with Richards, though experimentally and limited, they were usually broken up like Kopitar and Richards are now. They played a lot together on special teams. He has 10 years to learn to convert to wing full-time He plays on the left side too... In the end, he is a 35+ goal scorer on a reasonable cap hit like Richards, he has chemistry and a strong reason to play for us. I bet if he were given a choice to which team he would want to go to, LA would be at the top of his list. He would want to be here, and he is a skilled goal scorer.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:24 PM
SFKingshomer

Not really feeling the love for Carter

Old
01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
CBA guys, I have a Q.

Does the NTC carry over if traded? I thought I recalled someone saying that if a player is traded the clause goes away, even if traded before the clause would have kicked in. Someone had mentioned this in regards to Richards and said the NTC was up to the team that traded for him to honor or not. Anyone know for sure (not speculating) what the case is?

Quote:
11.8(a) The SPC of any player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the player is traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.
Via HFBoards excellent summary of the CBA.

Hadn't considered that angle. Depending on what Columbus did when they traded for him, Carter may not, in fact, start enjoying his NTC this summer.

Maybe Richards won't be, either.

That clause is a tough one from the player's POV. One would assume the PA would be looking at eliminating that language during this summer's CBA negotiations.

Closed Thread