HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending during the 2012-2013 season

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 01:12 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I would support us trading for Bishop. That may be the best way to go actually.
What would you be willing to offer? (St. Louis fan)

Done.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
What would you be willing to offer? (St. Louis fan)
Dominic Moore? High quality rental for the playoffs, UFA after the season.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
I Am Beat You

I've been reading the Value of: Ben Bishop thread and am surprised at how low the price is. Moore for Bishop would be an absolute steal imo.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Why are you so keen on Bishop? He barely got any NHL experience and while he seems to play well in AHL this season he have not done anything special earlier in his AHL career.

Might as well go with Tic then.

01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I Am Beat You

Bishop is a little further along than Tokarski. I like the fact that Bishop can be had for a low price yet the deal could turn out so very well for us for years to come. Imo it's a risk worth taking.

Old
01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 95
6'7'' 25 year old goalie who outplayed both Halak and Elliott in camp who's posting insane numbers in the AHL. I think that's a risk worth taking.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Yeah, put me on the Bishop Bandwagon. Aside from the fact that Yzerman could practically steal him away, he seems NHL ready now.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
6'7'' 25 year old goalie who outplayed both Halak and Elliott in camp who's posting insane numbers in the AHL. I think that's a risk worth taking.
This.

Old
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Yeah, put me on the Bishop Bandwagon. Aside from the fact that Yzerman could practically steal him away, he seems NHL ready now.
Your avatar is amazing.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Well seems like im the only one who have doubts for Bishop

Yeah sure he can be brought here for a low cost but we have gambled enough with goalies who "could" be good here. Grahame, Holmqvist, Burke, Smith, Ellis, Denis and so on.

In my opinion we should either go for a proven good goalie (yes that would cost us) or we go for Tic, sure Bishop is a low risk in terms of tradevalue but if he doesn't work out it's another year down the bing. Considering much of our core is getting older we must pick a path and that path starts with who we will bring in as our coming goalie.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:47 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post

Yeah sure he can be brought here for a low cost but we have gambled enough with goalies who "could" be good here. Grahame, Holmqvist, Burke, Smith, Ellis, Denis and so on.

In my opinion we should either go for a proven good goalie (yes that would cost us) or we go for Tic, sure Bishop is a low risk in terms of tradevalue but if he doesn't work out it's another year down the bing. Considering much of our core is getting older we must pick a path and that path starts with who we will bring in as our coming goalie.
I just don't have the faith in Tic that some people do I guess. If you're going to go with a young goalie that has never proven anything in the NHL, then go with the guy who has the better size and gave two pretty decent NHL goaltenders a run for their money. Tic has never done that.

Old
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Bring back Puppa!!!

Old
01-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post

We could acquire him this season and play him... if he looks good keep him if not we can still trade for schneider or other guy or sign harding in the off-season

Old
01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Moore for Bishop would not be a steal. Purcell for Bishop probably wouldn't be either, at least not initially.

He's not even practicing with NHL players, and he's supposed to just be 'the guy' because he's big? Every call-up talks about getting the hang of the NHL game, compared to the AHL, and some guys can't make that jump for whatever reason.

It's not like he's the backup, and is practicing with the NHL team. He's still on the B-team.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
IdealisticSniper

Why anyone would want to give up anything for Bishop is beyond me. He will be able to be had for a song come the offseason, or even now for that matter. Unless of course he just likes being in the AHL, but Im sure hed like a real shot at the NHL.

Im not against getting him and giving it a shot. And if sending a 5th rounder to STL gives us that chance to play him a bit this year to see what hes got then sure. Otherwise you sign him in the offseason.

Moore is going to get us around a 2nd round pick or so. Why would you trade a 2nd round pick for Bishop? Makes no sense.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:29 PM
I Am Beat You

Purcell's value is a hell of a lot higher than Moore's first of all. Secondly, Bishop is considered by just about everyone in the business to be NHL ready, he just happens to be stuck behind one of the best goaltending tandems in the NHL. He was great in the preseason and outperformed both Halak and Elliott as someone mentioned in the other thread, and he has shown nothing but continued improvement since turning pro. Bishop would also be an RFA at season's end, meaning we could then either sign him to a cheap deal or shop him around if he doesn't fit into our plans.

I could see Yzerman wanting a conditional pick, but Moore for Bishop straight up seems like a risk well worth taking imo.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:31 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Why anyone would want to give up anything for Bishop is beyond me. He will be able to be had for a song come the offseason, or even now for that matter. Unless of course he just likes being in the AHL, but Im sure hed like a real shot at the NHL.

Im not against getting him and giving it a shot. And if sending a 5th rounder to STL gives us that chance to play him a bit this year to see what hes got then sure. Otherwise you sign him in the offseason.

Moore is going to get us around a 2nd round pick or so. Why would you trade a 2nd round pick for Bishop? Makes no sense.
Because the Lightning are not the only team that would be interested in picking up a goaltender. Corcoran said it pretty well on his radio show tonight. Other teams need goaltending help. TSN just had a spot on Bishop this weeked that really got his name out there. The Blues GM is not going to call Yzerman and out of the goodness of his heart refuse to take bids from other teams. He's not going to just be had for pennies on the dollar in the offseason. Paraphrasing him here, but you get the point.

And of course, there could be no interest in him at all on SFY's part. We don't know. But the FA cupboard is not filled with real great goalies this offseason. The backups that may be good and may be available are going to cost a lot more than Moore. And if Tic is ever going to be a decent #1 goalie for the Lightning, it isn't going to be next year.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Because the Lightning are not the only team that would be interested in picking up a goaltender. Corcoran said it pretty well on his radio show tonight. Other teams need goaltending help. TSN just had a spot on Bishop this weeked that really got his name out there. The Blues GM is not going to call Yzerman and out of the goodness of his heart refuse to take bids from other teams. He's not going to just be had for pennies on the dollar in the offseason. Paraphrasing him here, but you get the point.

And of course, there could be no interest in him at all on SFY's part. We don't know. But the FA cupboard is not filled with real great goalies this offseason. The backups that may be good and may be available are going to cost a lot more than Moore. And if Tic is ever going to be a decent #1 goalie for the Lightning, it isn't going to be next year.
There are plenty of options for goalies next year for teams who need help. Whether through trades or free agency.

Sorry but I dont see the pressing need to acquire him. If hes an option hes an option.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
There are plenty of options for goalies next year for teams who need help. Whether through trades or free agency.

Sorry but I dont see the pressing need to acquire him. If hes an option hes an option.
Ok. Who? That the Lightning can fit under the cap while still putting together something approximating an NHL level defense, without giving up a bunch of picks and prospects that Yzerman wants to keep? And that is a young guy who can give us a #1 goalie for quite a while? Bishop may not be that guy, but he's worth taking if all it's going to cost is Moore.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:58 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Ok. Who? That the Lightning can fit under the cap while still putting together something approximating an NHL level defense, without giving up a bunch of picks and prospects that Yzerman wants to keep? And that is a young guy who can give us a #1 goalie for quite a while? Bishop may not be that guy, but he's worth taking if all it's going to cost is Moore.
Hard to say considering we dont know the price it would cost for a few of them.

Easiest answer? Possibly a Harding.

Theres only 3-5 teams needing a starting goalie next year. Theres easily 5 semi starter quality goaltenders on the market, not counting the 3-5 current backups that are supposedly ready to be starters.

The number of goalies is greater than the number of teams needing starting goaltender.

Ill play the odds and not worry about overpaying for as much of an unknown as Bishop is. You are literally basically giving up a 2nd round pick for him. You dont think thats too much?

Old
01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Hard to say considering we dont know the price it would cost for a few of them.

Easiest answer? Possibly a Harding.

Theres only 3-5 teams needing a starting goalie next year. Theres easily 5 semi starter quality goaltenders on the market, not counting the 3-5 current backups that are supposedly ready to be starters.

The number of goalies is greater than the number of teams needing starting goaltender.

Ill play the odds and not worry about overpaying for as much of an unknown as Bishop is. You are literally basically giving up a 2nd round pick for him. You dont think thats too much?
Maybe Moore is too much, if what you're looking for is semi starter quality. I see more in Bishop, but I could be wrong. Maybe he really is just a flavor of the month. God knows SFY ain't knocking down my door giving me big money to be an NHL scout.

What I don't want is semi-starter quality. Or a retread that can maybe be good for a year. Those 3-5 backups you're talking about are going to cost a lot more than Moore.

And while the number of goalies is greater than the number of teams that need them, the quality is not. Looking through that list on the first page of this thread, I see a whole lot of don't want that.

Old
01-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

I could see Minnesota go with Bäckström and Hackett for the next season but we will see.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:45 AM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Stamkos View Post
Assuming we still have Mathieu Garon as our backup next season. Who do you want as our starter and who do you think Yzerman will go after. Here's my list of everyone who it could possibly be..

Bernier
Schneider
Harding
Bishop
Montoya
Vokoun
Nabokov
Lindback
Desjardins
Rask (Probably most doubtful)
Enroth
Helenius (Don't think he can be a starter but id be interested in seeing what he can do)

Im sure there's others.. What do you think?

I wouldnt mind trading Garon (if we can) and running two younger guys like Harding and Bishop who will both be UFAs so we wouldnt be giving up anything.
Blues fan here in peace! Not really a Lightning fan, but kind of ambivalent anyway. Love Stamkos!

I think those top goalies in your list are spot on.

A goalie tandem of Schneider and Bishop would be pretty darned good. Harding and Bishop. Bernier and Montoya. Harding and Montoya. All of these are very good combos. The Lightning need a complete overhaul in goal and need to solidify that position ASAP in order to build from that position outward.

Montoya is solid. Bishop is from St. Louis and has an excellent ice hockey pedigree. Not only is he big, but he battled back from a mediocre 2010-2011 season. The Blues have another goalie prospect in Jake Allen, but are fairly set for the next couple seasons with Halak and Elliott.

That makes Ben Bishop expendable and a great fit for Tampa Bay.

Check out our grumblings about a possible Bishop to Tampa Bay trade.

Good luck rebuilding what was once a fierce team! Cheers!

Old
01-25-2012, 11:55 AM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I've been reading the Value of: Ben Bishop thread and am surprised at how low the price is. Moore for Bishop would be an absolute steal imo.
His price is so low because he is only a prospect with limited NHL experience. He hasn't yet had a lengthy opportunity to prove himself. He is only a GOALTENDING prospect with great potential. And that garners a low return.

Back when Corey Schneider was in trade rumors the offers were quite low, so Vancouver held onto him. The Blues have two solid starters right now, so they don't need Bishop anymore with Jake Allen in the pipeline.

Anyway.........Antero Nittymaki went on waivers today.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Harding or Rask would be a nice addition to the Lightning.