HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you support the Habs moving back to 2313 Saint Catherine Street?

Old
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
Here's a look back.
At the time the Habs had a rink with 18,000 or so seats
(a rink i loved btw)
They did however, have to contend with high taxes and a very weak dollar.
So they built their new home in hopes of leveling the playing field, or at least try to.
they now have 2 rows of luxury suites and the desjardins level in between. The red section grew whereas the white and blue sections shrank(at least in proportion).
Add to that the fact that it would have been very difficult and costly to shoehorn in added seats to a limited and space deprived structure - it made perfect sense to move. It made dollars and cents

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Times change......
Awesome post from a guy with an awesome username, doncha think?

You win the irony post of the month award.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't expect to live long enough for the Bell Centre to become obsolete. I like it just fine and my nostalgia for the Forum grows fainter year by year. The only thing that was better in the old days was Roger Doucet.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:05 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I don't expect to live long enough for the Bell Centre to become obsolete. I like it just fine and my nostalgia for the Forum grows fainter year by year. The only thing that was better in the old days was Roger Doucet.
And winning.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Awesome post from a guy with an awesome username, doncha think?

You win the irony post of the month award.
Pushing your opponents to an extreme in an argument in order to make your own point more level headed is a very cheap way to lose a debate.

Stating rebuilding the old forum is futile =/= disrespecting traditions&ignoring the achievement of the past.

In the end, its just a building. I'm not saying it doesn't have an importance as it IS a monument. The Queen Mary is a monument to the golden era of cruise ships, you don't see it cruisin' around anymore tho. Historic warships are docked permanently and transformed in museums. I'm pretty sure the Rome Colosseum isn't used for spectacles anymore. I could go on. Fact is its more practical to use the Bell Center. Its new, of course it won't have the history of the forum but give it a chance to write its own.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:47 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
How about it?

Yes it would take money to redo it over, but GreenBay Packer fans just raised 250 million of there own pocket money, to revamp Lambeau field .

The Habs need to go back home.The Montreal Forum is home .
Let them fill the Bell Centre with concerts 365 days a year, and the Montreal Forum exclusively for Montreal Canadiens.

The entire inside was gutted, everything could be put in new per 2012,the outsides of the building could be totally updated.
If the roof needed to be raised to add extra seats ,luxury boxes etc fine.

That building on 2313 Saint Catherine Street, is the Montreal Canadiens,it's what made the Montreal Canadiens.
We lost our souls when we left.
Like Fenway park is the Red Sox and Wrigley Field is the Cubs,these fans don't want a new park!It's so much more than baseball....

If the Olympic stadium can get a billion dollars worth of ROOFS,
and they can revamp BC Place into a Gem as they just did ,the Montreal Forum needs to be brought back as Montreal Canadiens HOME,even if it cost 600 million to do it .

BUILDINGS TODAY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR 40 YEARS ANYWAYS,look at Edmonton Calgary for example...

Think about it , I personally would be willing to do what the Packers fans just did to bring back our home ....

What's everyone else think about moving back to the our home lands?
Sorry dude I may rant on these boards, but now you're my territory.

The site is too small for a modern 20000 seat arena, plus boxes, plus big loading space, parking, concessions, offices and the rest.

Not happening.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:37 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Pushing your opponents to an extreme in an argument in order to make your own point more level headed is a very cheap way to lose a debate.

Stating rebuilding the old forum is futile =/= disrespecting traditions&ignoring the achievement of the past.

In the end, its just a building. I'm not saying it doesn't have an importance as it IS a monument. The Queen Mary is a monument to the golden era of cruise ships, you don't see it cruisin' around anymore tho. Historic warships are docked permanently and transformed in museums. I'm pretty sure the Rome Colosseum isn't used for spectacles anymore. I could go on. Fact is its more practical to use the Bell Center. Its new, of course it won't have the history of the forum but give it a chance to write its own.
That is exactly what they should had done when the moved to the Molson/Bell Centre.

Keep the Forum as a Museum for the storied Montreal Canadiens. Keep the ice surface for skaters and minor hockey. It would had become a great tourists attraction, too.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote