HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Alexei Emelin Thread

Old
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Emelin and Diaz should be our 3rd pair next year. They play well together and Emelin brings that physical Dman that can play PK while Diaz is the offensive Dman that can play PP.

Add Markov (hopefully), Gorges and Subban and we are only missing 1 solid righthanded Dman for next year. My dream being Weber this summer.

Markov-Weber
Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz

Price

A team built like that does not need a big center. Besides, we can't have Weber and a star center like Staal or Getzlaf, and I prefer having Weber.
We already have a Weber but it's not the right one. Woe-ber, as I call him, was drafted when Gainey was in charge. Gauthier brought in Diaz, a better Swiss Dman, as an undrafted free agent.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

1:15 mark. What a shot.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:58 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Anyone has a cloning machine?

I'd take 6 Emelin's on my blue line please.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
We already have a Weber but it's not the right one. Woe-ber, as I call him, was drafted when Gainey was in charge. Gauthier brought in Diaz, a better Swiss Dman, as an undrafted free agent.
and there's a 3 year difference in age between the two. i wouldn't write off weber so quickly...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
LeMAD

I really hope Emelin and Diaz won't be our 3rd pairing next year. Diaz is a lot better than he was at the start of the season, and Emelin has some upside, but I would feel a lot more confident if they were fighting for a 6th spot.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Weber is more about D and toughness then offense BTW. Weber eats guys like Gleason for breakfast, so I don't get your post.

Weber is 6'4'' 235lbs and gets 200 hits per year and those hits are worse than Emelin. I'm not talking about Yannick.
Call me a homer if you wish, but Alexei Emelin has more highlight reel hits this year than Weber does in his entire career.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Call me a homer if you wish, but Alexei Emelin has more highlight reel hits this year than Weber does in his entire career.
Yup you're a homer

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Emelin has had more highlight reel hits this year than 95% of NHL players in history have in their whole careers.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I don't mind Emelin as a 7th defenseman, but one game he's pretty good and the other he's absolutely bad. He's got some upside I guess, but so far he's a disapointment.

The bodychecks are fun to watch, but they don't have much impact on the game, compared to the turnover he gives up and tyhe bad positionning. I thought at first it was the adaptation needed with the smaller ice surface, but he often looks lost on the ice.
You must be one of the rare few who doesn't appreciate or understand Emelin's contribution to this team.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You must be one of the rare few who doesn't appreciate or understand Emelin's contribution to this team.
I am not surprised at all knowing the kind of players this guy likes and dislikes. Is not about how good they are, it is all I can say...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
nah, you are not a homer...his hits are awesome.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Forsead

I was watching him play and I thought about something : the guy isn't a good hitter, he isn't a great hitter, he is a NATURAL great hitter and that's something quite rare. I mean alot of player hit, because it's useful and help their game and they always learned to play like that and some can become quite great at hitting, but there is a rare breed of guys that are just natural at it. It's part of their game and they do it with instinct not because they have to do it or because it's the right play, their body already know that's the good play. That's why the timing of guys like that is so good. Eric Lindros was like that, Douglas Murray right now is also like that they are different that guys like Sarich or Komisarek that are doing it, because they always played a physical brand of hockey.

I hope that what I wanted to say is kind of clear and you will understand it lol.

Forsead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM
shao01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Anyone has a cloning machine?

I'd take 6 Emelin's on my blue line please.
Would rather clone Subban if I had a cloning machine. Six classless Subbans, imagine that.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I was watching him play and I thought about something : the guy isn't a good hitter, he isn't a great hitter, he is a NATURAL great hitter and that's something quite rare. I mean alot of player hit, because it's useful and help their game and they always learned to play like that and some can become quite great at hitting, but there is a rare breed of guys that are just natural at it. It's part of their game and they do it with instinct not because they have to do it or because it's the right play, their body already know that's the good play. That's why the timing of guys like that is so good. Eric Lindros was like that, Douglas Murray right now is also like that they are different that guys like Sarich or Komisarek that are doing it, because they always played a physical brand of hockey.

I hope that what I wanted to say is kind of clear and you will understand it lol.
The way I see it is he's the rare hitter that is good enough at it that has a consistently meaningful direct effect on the play as it happens (rather than just wearing down the opposition). His hits take players out of the play, change puck possession and can effect opponents choice of tactics.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

The only players that skated into the puck were Subban and Weber...no wonder they won.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
PATCHESx67

got my Emelin jersey today

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
got my Emelin jersey today
I'm waiting for a decent extension.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:31 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
I'm waiting for a decent extension.
ya hopefully they resign him u never know with the habs

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
ya hopefully they resign him u never know with the habs
The only way he isn't re-signed is if he gets a ridiculous KHL offer. I think you'll see him with a 2 year 3.5-4 mil extension(1.75-2 mil/year).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The only way he isn't re-signed is if he gets a ridiculous KHL offer. I think you'll see him with a 2 year 3.5-4 mil extension(1.75-2 mil/year).
Thats the problem. Emelin is 25 and I think that means he is RFA for onliy 1 more year. I love Emelin but I have to acknowledge that he probably isnt a top 4 player right now. If you offer him the money you suggest it makes sense for him to agree to only a 1 year deal and then go UFA. To sign him long term I think you must offer him top 4 money, as a defensive D-man who makes occasional horrible decisions that lead to scoring chances against you, and who plays a terrific physical game. A Top 4 solid defensive D-manie Gorges as a UFA Id say at $4M. As an RFA Id say he gets 1.5M, 3 years at $4, so 13.5M over 4 years , 3.4M per year. Basically you need to project him into a top 4 player into next year. Its a risk but its a risk Id take for our only physical D-man who hits well ( and whose acually brilliant at hitting), than risk losing him.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Thats the problem. Emelin is 25 and I think that means he is RFA for onliy 1 more year. I love Emelin but I have to acknowledge that he probably isnt a top 4 player right now. If you offer him the money you suggest it makes sense for him to agree to only a 1 year deal and then go UFA. To sign him long term I think you must offer him top 4 money, as a defensive D-man who makes occasional horrible decisions that lead to scoring chances against you, and who plays a terrific physical game. A Top 4 solid defensive D-manie Gorges as a UFA Id say at $4M. As an RFA Id say he gets 1.5M, 3 years at $4, so 13.5M over 4 years , 3.4M per year. Basically you need to project him into a top 4 player into next year. Its a risk but its a risk Id take for our only physical D-man who hits well ( and whose acually brilliant at hitting), than risk losing him.
Then go 2 years...next year a slight raise to 1 mil and then 2.5-3 mil the year after...total 3.5-4 mil/2 years 1.75-2 mil cap hit.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post

Blunden appears completely disinterested. I mean, what were those shots??

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Emelin has had more highlight reel hits this year than 95% of NHL players in history have in their whole careers.
Probably not

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Then go 2 years...next year a slight raise to 1 mil and then 2.5-3 mil the year after...total 3.5-4 mil/2 years 1.75-2 mil cap hit.
I cant disagree with this at all to secure him for 2 years. My issue is I like him alot and want him signed to a longer contract to be sure hell be around for a few years. I really think he can be part of our core on D.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I cant disagree with this at all to secure him for 2 years. My issue is I like him alot and want him signed to a longer contract to be sure hell be around for a few years. I really think he can be part of our core on D.
If you sign him to a 2 year extension and he progresses well next year you try and sign him long term the summer of 2013. 3-5 years at 3.5-4/year.