HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2012, 09:32 PM
CH2

vCash: 500
As soon as you have symptoms the clock starts over again. Look at Staal. They'll be cautious.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:39 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
I wouldn't read too much into this, with Staal they had all the time in the world, but now it's mid season and he obviously wants to play so he's pushing himself more. Having some headaches doesn't automatically mean it starts from square one. He could be perfectly fine starting tomorrow it's impossible to say.

We all know someone is going to come back somewhere in between the next game or never with a concussion. To say he's done for the season now holds no more or less merit than it did 5 seconds after the hit.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Uncle Sam

Thank god we have depth. Good to see we are being very cautious with mike. For rest of season once Emmy is back in the lineup I'd like to see us go with

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-McD
Stral-Eminger

wasnt too crazy about seeing MDZ with staal, so it might be best to separate McD-Girardi, although it would be hard given their play.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into this, with Staal they had all the time in the world, but now it's mid season and he obviously wants to play so he's pushing himself more. Having some headaches doesn't automatically mean it starts from square one. He could be perfectly fine starting tomorrow it's impossible to say.

We all know someone is going to come back somewhere in between the next game or never with a concussion. To say he's done for the season now holds no more or less merit than it did 5 seconds after the hit.
And to say that a team/player will treat a concussion differently based on the time of year displays a complete lack of understanding regarding how serious these injuries are taken these days.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The best idea is to shut him down completely for an entire month. Let him start again in late February and hopefully be back by late March and get the last 7-8 games in before the playoffs.

If they can get Hal Gill without it costing too much, that's cool, if not, someone like a Cory Sarich who knows Torts system might be a good fit (they take Wolski back as part of the deal...wishful thinking). They can also go with what they have and be just fine.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And to say that a team/player will treat a concussion differently based on the time of year displays a complete lack of understanding regarding how serious these injuries are taken these days.
Teams/players DO treat concussions differently based on the time of the year.

If they're playing in the stanley cup finals a player is going to be much more inclined to hide concussion symptoms then if it's the start of the season.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Hopefully he doesn't get shut down for the season...

Old
01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Hopefully he doesn't get shut down for the season...
for sure, if the Rangers wait till the deadline to see where he is at fine but it may be smart to grab a UFA rental like Kubina or Sarich who have played for Torts.

is Paul Mara even playing minor league hockey right now?

Everyone must of hated McCabe cause he doesnt even get mentioned. FLA has some injuries now on D with Kulikov and Jovo so maybe they call him up

Old
01-30-2012, 01:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers returned to practice today

Quote:
22 Rangers on ice. No Girardi or Gaborik as they r off following All-Star appearance .. no sign of Sauer at practice, will ask Torts after
https://twitter.com/#!/NYDNRangers/s...62417930829825

Old
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
#NYR Another step for D Steve Eminger, who did some battle drills today. Said he is at about 85% strength. Pain manageable
https://twitter.com/#!/KatieStrangES...79742620938241

Old
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
for sure, if the Rangers wait till the deadline to see where he is at fine but it may be smart to grab a UFA rental like Kubina or Sarich who have played for Torts.

is Paul Mara even playing minor league hockey right now?

Everyone must of hated McCabe cause he doesnt even get mentioned. FLA has some injuries now on D with Kulikov and Jovo so maybe they call him up
Bryan McCabe and Paul Mara are all but retired. Pavel Kubina, however, is someone I hadn't even considered...but I agree with you in defenseman rental---that to me is key. The Lightning have loads of cap room---would they take WW off our books?

Old
01-30-2012, 03:18 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
manageable pain? ugh. i've had manageable pain before. totally sucks. he probably needs to take cortisone shots weekly for it.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Eminger is still at least 2 weeks away. The Rangers said 8-10 weeks. It was 6 weeks on Saturday. The Rangers aren't rushing Eminger back until he is 100%.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

So you guys think Sauer is done for the year? It's a real shame, he is sooooo solid when healthy...

Old
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
So you guys think Sauer is done for the year? It's a real shame, he is sooooo solid when healthy...
No way to say. He was coming along fine and then symptoms returned so they shut him down. If he goes symptom free for a while they'll ease him back up again...will he be symptom free then? Maybe yes, maybe no. He took one hell of a shot, that's all I know.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Don't wanna read too much into anything atm, but his brother's career ended due to post-concussion syndrome. I'd prefer he take all the time he needs, even if that means sitting out the remainder of the year and the playoffs.

My only hope is that he can come back and be completely healthy, playing many full years for us.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:49 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Given the Rangers' solid play, I would be ultra-cautious if I were the Rangers' coaching and medical staff, especially given the troubles of his older brother Kurt (whose career is over after a 2009 concussion; he remains under contract with the Coyotes through this season).

Old
01-30-2012, 03:51 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

The night of the Skills Competition, the NHL network had the top ten plays of the year so far, and Sauer being hit was #10...obviously it was a great, clean hit that garnered a lot of attention around the league, but it just sucked to see it regarded as a 'top' play

Old
01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Don't wanna read too much into anything atm, but his brother's career ended due to post-concussion syndrome. I'd prefer he take all the time he needs, even if that means sitting out the remainder of the year and the playoffs.

My only hope is that he can come back and be completely healthy, playing many full years for us.
Kurt's career did not end because of post-concussion syndrome. He has a far more complex injury that is much more comparable to whiplash than PCS. Thankfully, after two years of little or no progress, he finally located a treatment that is restoring his health. He couldn't even leave his house for the longest time but he now attends Coyote games. I spoke with a family member who told me that he is doing "great" and feels a thousand times better.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ck-injury.html

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz1YGIn9Eml

Last edited by bobbop: 01-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old
01-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I stand corrected. Thanks for chiming in.

Wikipedia should be updated to more accurately reflect his situation.

Old
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

Quote:
The night of the Skills Competition, the NHL network had the top ten plays of the year so far, and Sauer being hit was #10...obviously it was a great, clean hit that garnered a lot of attention around the league, but it just sucked to see it regarded as a 'top' play
great hit. if only sauer had his chin strap a wee bit tighter, it wouldn't be so painful to re-watch.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Thank god we have depth. Good to see we are being very cautious with mike. For rest of season once Emmy is back in the lineup I'd like to see us go with

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-McD
Stral-Eminger

wasnt too crazy about seeing MDZ with staal, so it might be best to separate McD-Girardi, although it would be hard given their play.
McDonagh-Girardi
MDZ-Stralman
Staal-Eminger

I don't want to separate the 1st or 2nd pair as both of them have been playing great. Staal and Eminger is a 2nd pair on any other team, this gives us 3 pairs of defense we can roll instead of overplaying Girardi-McD

Lets just hope we get Sauer back before the end of the season

Old
01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Kurt's career did not end because of post-concussion syndrome. He has a far more complex injury that is much more comparable to whiplash than PCS. Thankfully, after two years of little or no progress, he finally located a treatment that is restoring his health. He couldn't even leave his house for the longest time but he now attends Coyote games. I spoke with a family member who told me that he is doing "great" and feels a thousand times better.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ck-injury.html

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz1YGIn9Eml
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize it was more complex than that.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Going to need some vet depth for the playoffs. Right now Dallas outside looking in, if that remains expect Sather to kick the tires on Souray. He's on a one year deal and has had a decent season. He would add some experience, a little grit and a big shot from the point.

01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBanks99 View Post
great hit. if only sauer had his chin strap a wee bit tighter, it wouldn't be so painful to re-watch.
I can't remember where I read it, maybe Andrew Gross' blog, but Sauer himself said his chin strap broke from the hit. So it wasn't that it wasn't on tight enough.

Closed Thread