HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Underarmour use by NHL teams

Old
01-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Nick the Viking

vCash: 500
Underarmour use by NHL teams

Random question I'm hoping someone can help quell my curiosity:

Was meeting with a friend of mine who's a RMT and trying to break into working more with sports teams; he met with a guy who used to work with an NHL team as an athletic therapist and anyways after talking about the business they ended up talking about random stuff.

One thing he told me that I found totally crazy is that the ex-NHL team staffer said that players wear UnderArmour ONCE and then toss em. New pair each game.

They're thrown in the 'garbage'... now whether that 'garbage' goes to the dump or to a laundry mat (and donated somewhere) he did say the players only wear new, each game.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this or what they'd do with the UA stuff???

It just seems to crazy to believe they get rid of em after one use...

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
vapor11

I do not see the point but these guys go thru a few sticks a game so its believable..I have a UA longsleeve and they feel real cheap so the nhl probobly gets them for pennies or free for advertising...I see many wear the Bauer shirts as well

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Lot of Penguins wear the Reebok stuff.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would be incredibly surprised. NHL teams don't like to throw away money like that.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would be incredibly surprised. NHL teams don't like to throw away money like that.
This. Even in bulk with extreme discounts you figure they pay at least 10 bucks for each unit. That would be like wasting $250 each game (who knows about practice). SO conservatively if one player is using 120 units a year (82 for games and the rest I guess he wears multiple times for practices) you are looking 30,000 shelled out just for undergarments. I seriously doubt it.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I also recall Justin Bourne talking about guys getting their undergear at the start of the year. Obviously minor leaguers will only get a few sets (and would have to pay extra for more I'm sure) but even pro players wouldn't get new ones each time. It'd be a pain to keep track of everything. And hell I'm sure some of the players are so paranoid and superstitious they wouldn't want new gear frequently.

Unless you're Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, etc. If you're an elite franchise guy, you can likely do whatever the hell you want.

Old
01-23-2012, 10:45 PM
IDuck

i doubt this because i see post game interviews all the time where players are wearing shirts with holes everywhere which seems to look like there lucky shirt.....IMO hockey players are way to superstitious for something like that

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
I also recall Justin Bourne talking about guys getting their undergear at the start of the year. Obviously minor leaguers will only get a few sets (and would have to pay extra for more I'm sure) but even pro players wouldn't get new ones each time. It'd be a pain to keep track of everything. And hell I'm sure some of the players are so paranoid and superstitious they wouldn't want new gear frequently.

Unless you're Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, etc. If you're an elite franchise guy, you can likely do whatever the hell you want.
I doubt Crosby changes it out much. He's worn the same jock since 14 or something like that, and while his other stuff looks to be much newer, I doubt he's the type who cares enough to insist on brand new underwear for each game.

And yes, I bring that up whenever relevant, because I think it's friggin' hilarious. Making millions a year, and refuses to replace ratty old crap.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
i doubt this because i see post game interviews all the time where players are wearing shirts with holes everywhere which seems to look like there lucky shirt.....IMO hockey players are way to superstitious for something like that
that's exactly what I thought but my buddy said that's what the trainer told him - I still think there must be some miscommunication...

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For sure. Most of those guys hang on to old gear as long as possible. I remember the Wild's equipment fire in Ottawa and guys had to replace gear they've had since they were in their early teens.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
For sure. Most of those guys hang on to old gear as long as possible. I remember the Wild's equipment fire in Ottawa and guys had to replace gear they've had since they were in their early teens.
Another funny one is Brendan Shanahan. He wore the same shoulder pads from 13 or 14 years old through his entire career, until he came to the rangers. When he first hauled his gear in, the equipment manager took one look at his shoulder pads, and came back with a brand new pair of the exact same model that had apparently been sitting in the equipment room for decades, and he wore those until he retired.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
r3cc0s

my favorite undershirts are those Edmonton Oilers Vintage looking Stanfields...

actually... if you guys have not noticed.. many players are rocking those padded compressions shirts from Bauer, which will be released shortly... in april.

Personally, I'd think that those things would start smelling up pretty bad, if they weren't cleaned as frequently as you would your typical under grament (I throw my compression shorts and top into the laundry every game).

but yea, pro's seem to wear what they want... they often get things customzied, like different shoulder caps sown onto vintage chest protectors they've had since the Jr. days.

Andrew Ladd was still wearing his ol' football style Douglas's not so long ago.

Many guys these days are rocking the 5030's w/ a compression padded shirt combo...

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote