HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jeff Schultz to NJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
  #1
KovalSNIPE
Registered User
 
KovalSNIPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Jeff Schultz to NJ

With our desperate need of high level PMD's, one thing I think the Devils need is to get a better defensive defenseman. Salvador is doing decent, but we need better stability; Volchenkov is our only star defensive d-man. What would it take to get Schultz to NJ? He's a rock in his own zone (+50 a few years ago!) I know Washington most likely wouldn't trade him, but based on value, what would it take? Preferably, Salvador would be going the other way.

Salvador + prospect + 2nd round pick? Would that work?

I usually suck at these so forgive me.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:15 PM
  #2
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
no man we have no money we are going to just have to give away players and package them with picks to survive



Schultz would be nice but I'm not sure what prospect I'd new willing to throw in and doubt WSH wants UFA Salvador.

We can give them their 2nd back though.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:17 PM
  #3
Alvvays
Marle **3
 
Alvvays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 60,776
vCash: 50
Jeff Scultz is not a stud in his own zone.

He has actually been a regular healthy scratch under Hunter, and when he does play, he plays under 10 minutes.

As a Ranger fan, I salivate at the thought of Gaborik/Richards going on the ice against Jeff Schultz 6 times a year against the Devils.

__________________
Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 08:26 PM
  #4
Fitlanbox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
You're way WAY overrating Schultz. It sounds like you haven't seen him play, that +/- from a few years ago is misleading. I don't think he is an AHLer and he can definitely be a 5/6 guy, but unless he suddenly decides to use his size and become physical, he won't ever amount to more than that.

At this point I'm sure he could be had for a 3rd or 4th(maybe less). The only thing holding a trade back is because GMGM loves him and wanted him to become a top shut down guy and apparently hasn't given up on him even though Dale and the coaching staff clearly have.

Fitlanbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
  #5
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,172
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Do not Want

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:47 PM
  #6
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Jeff Scultz is not a stud in his own zone.

He has actually been a regular healthy scratch under Hunter, and when he does play, he plays under 10 minutes.

As a Ranger fan, I salivate at the thought of Gaborik/Richards going on the ice against Jeff Schultz 6 times a year against the Devils.
The problem is DH changed the defensive system to a man on man. Schultz doesn't have the foot speed to do that. He needs to be in a zone type of D. He does have decent passing skills and an ok shot when he uses it but if you want malice you better load his purse.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:05 PM
  #7
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,435
vCash: 500
3rd + decent prospect. Something around Urbom would interest me a lot.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
  #8
HockeyTS32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
3rd + decent prospect. Something around Urbom would interest me a lot.


As a caps fan, you could probably just get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick and that's it. He was way overrated before DH as well.

HockeyTS32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
  #9
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 43,054
vCash: 500
Salvador has been great the past month or two. why would you trade him for Schultz? makes no sense

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
  #10
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,512
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Salvador has been great the past month or two. why would you trade him for Schultz? makes no sense
Ya, that seems like a step back to me, and it's not even much savings on salary or cap hit, because Schultz has a longer contract.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
  #11
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 View Post
As a caps fan, you could probably just get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick and that's it. He was way overrated before DH as well.
What most Caps fans would give him away for and what it would actually take to land him are two different things. I'm a Caps fan, btw.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:36 AM
  #12
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What most Caps fans would give him away for and what it would actually take to land him are two different things. I'm a Caps fan, btw.
Hell, there were Caps' fans during the +50 season who would've given him away for a 3rd or 4th. We seem to have a lot of fans who don't get that after the lockout, obstruction hockey doesn't work any more. I really hope we do trade him though, because he IS good enough to play 15-18 minutes a night on a zone team. If the Devils offered McPhee his 2nd back, I hope he'd accept out of respect for Schultz.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:03 AM
  #13
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
With our desperate need of high level PMD's, one thing I think the Devils need is to get a better defensive defenseman. Salvador is doing decent, but we need better stability; Volchenkov is our only star defensive d-man. What would it take to get Schultz to NJ? He's a rock in his own zone (+50 a few years ago!) I know Washington most likely wouldn't trade him, but based on value, what would it take? Preferably, Salvador would be going the other way.

Salvador + prospect + 2nd round pick? Would that work?

I usually suck at these so forgive me.
Uhhh, a d-man with a +50 probably isn't a shutdown defenseman.

Schultz benefited from being paired with Mike Green and playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:58 AM
  #14
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Uhhh, a d-man with a +50 probably isn't a shutdown defenseman.

Schultz benefited from being paired with Mike Green and playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom.
2009-2010
Jeff Schultz +50 (1st in NHL)
Alex Ovechkin +45
Mike Green +39
Nicklas Backstrom +37

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:17 AM
  #15
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,743
vCash: 500
Schultz will play decent in a zone D scheme. Someone will take this guy and get a decent enough player. In the Caps current man to man scheme, his lack of footspeed spells his doom. No longer a fit here, but not as bad as some would have you believe. Not that long ago he was playing top pair minutes with Green and playing fairly well in a safety valve role.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:22 AM
  #16
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 30,839
vCash: 500
Not the answer.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:12 AM
  #17
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,057
vCash: 500
mcphee will probably keep schultz til the off season. come playoffs, assuming.,...wont say it, depth is important. after that....mcphee traded steve eminger, who was in a similar position as schultz, and a 2nd round pick to trade up in the draft and took john carlson.

mcphee isnt much for giving his stuff away.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
  #18
third man in
Registered User
 
third man in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mcphee will probably keep schultz til the off season. come playoffs, assuming.,...wont say it, depth is important. after that....mcphee traded steve eminger, who was in a similar position as schultz, and a 2nd round pick to trade up in the draft and took john carlson.

mcphee isnt much for giving his stuff away.
3rd rounder. That was a steal of a trade. Hope he can do it again

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:58 AM
  #19
d99gr81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTS32 View Post
As a caps fan, you could probably just get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick and that's it. He was way overrated before DH as well.
Schultz is a good D man in the right system... Many Cap fans... and I am a huge caps fan... base him not being good because he doesn't fit the system. Teams like Chicago are interested because he is a good d man for a zone defensive style. He was over rated a bit but now he gets underrated because he doesn't play much in the new system.

d99gr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.