HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Someone's getting antsy and it isn't Lowe...

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Someone's getting antsy and it isn't Lowe...

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-08-0078.html

...and there goes any potential leverage Comrie might've had left, forfeited by himself willingly. The kid wants out of this BAD.

I don't know about anyone else, but if Clarke's really offering Handzus + another player, that's damn tempting.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

wow that's a jawdropper. either Comrie isnt the greedy daddy's boy we all perceived or he REALLY wants out of E-Town. It's getting to the point that I don't really care what happens, I juat want it to get resolved so Mike Comrie can tell us why exactly he felt that he had to leave this town so bad. If he agreed to sign a contract under the league average, then something is really wrong with the information we are being force fed by the media.

Old
11-08-2003, 12:01 AM
dem

Wow.
That should really drive up his value... willing to sign for LESS than 1.13?!? Thats insane.

Old
11-08-2003, 12:09 AM
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-08-0078.html

...and there goes any potential leverage Comrie might've had left, forfeited by himself willingly. The kid wants out of this BAD.

I don't know about anyone else, but if Clarke's really offering Handzus + another player, that's damn tempting.
Tempting To me it sounds too good to be true and Lowe would be a fool not to make that trade ! Handzus + another player (a young D-man), what more can he honestly expect / want ?

Old
11-08-2003, 01:55 AM
FacelessButcher

more fuel to the fire-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kelley of ESPN.com
The Comrie chronicles
Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe told ESPN.com that he wasn't talking trade with Los Angeles counterpart Dave Taylor. He then backed away from that statement, noting he did talk with Taylor but there is no imminent trade and players haven't been discussed.

Have a little trouble following that?

Look at it this way: Lowe respects Taylor, a lot, and Taylor has been in the position of having to trade high-profile players in the past (Rob Blake being the most noteworthy case). Taylor also has a reputation for being able to work a good deal for his team, even though he's in a poor negotiating position. So it's more than likely the two have talked more about the mechanics of such a deal than a deal itself.

That's not to rule out the rumors that Mike Comrie is headed for Los Angeles; however, they appear to be coming more from agents than from either club. Also, Lowe is on record about preferring to send Comrie to an Eastern Conference team -- if he trades him at all. For that matter, the Kings would only be interested if injured forward Jason Allison is deemed out for the long term. Hence the conversations.

Atlanta has expressed some intense interest, but wants to offer up their first-ever draft pick, Patrik Stefan. Lowe likely will counter by asking for highly regarded prospect Braydon Coburn, a defenseman selected in the first round of the 2003 draft. The two GMs talked Wednesday night in Buffalo when the Thrashers played there (Lowe was scouting after the Hall of Fame festivities in Toronto), but no deal was struck.

Thrashers GM Don Waddell is almost desperate now with the injuries to Dany Heatley, the death of Dan Snyder and now a long-term injury to center Marc Savard (eight to 10 weeks with a torn ligament in his ankle), but he's loathe to give up Coburn, who is considered a huge part of Atlanta's future. Coincidentally, Comrie's agent is Rich Winter, who also represents Stefan, a player who has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't matched overall expectations.

Sources have told ESPN.com that Lowe also was approached by his good friend, Team Canada management mate and former teammate Wayne Gretzky (no surprise there). The Coyotes are said to be dangling Krystofer Kolanos, but the deal would have to be sweetened considerably, especially considering Phoenix is in the Western Conference, a rival for a lower-echelon playoff spot, and Kolanos's history of concussion problems.

Others said to be in the hunt are San Jose and Philadelphia with the Flyers having enough young prospects and enough of a need for a playmaking center to make the deal.

Old
11-08-2003, 03:13 AM
GorillazXL

The most tempting and resonable offer that I have heard to date are the trade proposal with Atlanta, Florida and Philly.

Comrie to Atl for Coburn + Stefan
=============================
Coburn has a lot of upside but hasn't proven himself as an NHLer, Stefan has huge potrntial but has always been labelled a "headcase", for more reasons then one (confidence, consistency, concussions...etc).

Comrie to Philly for Gagne
I think both players need a change of scenery, Comrie has more creative puck handling skills and is a scorer. Gagne, what he lacks with skill with Comrie (which isn't much) he has size and speed to make up, something this organization lacks of.

Comrie to Fla for Weiss + Krajiceck
Both Weiss and Krajiceck have upsides but neither are proven

My vote would be with ATLANTA

Why?:

Stefan, although inconsistant in Atlanta has had ssigns of brilliance, I feel under the Oilers system a player like Stefan can bloom. At worst Stefan can play third line centre. I like this deal because the Oil has great promise in their prospects for the next few years, especially at centre.. Coburn, I hoped this draft year the oil would be able to trade up for this kid. He's got size and foot speed. He's also got a mean streak. Coburn next to Paneuf (who's gonna be a hell of a Dman in this league) has the hugest potenital of the drafted defense this year. Coburn also leviates concernswith our defence in the prospect (though I've always been happy with Lynch, Greene, and Smith) nothing beats having that kindda potential in Coburn:

Future Oil Dfence:

Brewer - Coburn
Lynch - Semenov
Staios - Greene

Each pairing has a puck handling dman and teamed up with a physical dMan.

GXL

Old
11-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Shizuka

To me as an Oiler fan, it's an insult to see this guy have such a problem(s) with the organization that he goes to the press (or rather, his sleazy agent mouthpiece) and states that he will sign elsewhere, for less than the qualifying offer tendered by Lowe and company. That in itself speaks volumes. Whenever this gets resolved, I am very curious to hear what exactly it was that caused Comrie to develop such an enmity for the organization. Seeing as his camp has stated numerous times that the issues have not been monetary based, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and await to hear what exactly the problems were then.

If it really just comes down to the fact that he was held accountable for his lousy playoff showing, and he felt "singled out" for blame, though... it would smack of petulance and a great deal of immaturity. When you consider yourself a leader, you need to shoulder the burdens and responsibilities that come with it. The very best athletes thrive under pressure. It almost sounds as if Comrie would rather collect his paycheque, contribute the 60-75 points a year, and let someone else carry the weight. How anyone can consider that being a team player is beyond me.

Good on Kevin Lowe for sticking to his guns. Of all the (realistic, legit source-reported) trade proposals speculated about, ruminated on and dissected, I haven't seen one that sends what Lowe wants back in return: a top 6 F / top 4 D-man. I had honestly hoped that with a bit of time and breathing room, the two sides would get together and hammer out a deal. The time is well past for that now, however. I now hope that Lowe will wait and see what shakes out, perhaps even letting Comrie sit for the entire year and trading him to move up in the draft (maybe even packaging other players in any deal, after a season's worth of game evaluation, to move up even higher). I have lost almost all of the respect I had for Comrie's talent, because of his lousy attitude. So much for being objective...

*edit* P.S. Also, when Winter says Comrie will sign for less than the qualifying offer, wouldn't that happen anyways because of the pro-rated contract Comrie would have to sign? Big deal! According to the Journal he has already lost roughly $200,000 (based on his expired contract numbers). So he could still sign a 1 year qualifying sheet for more than the tender from Lowe, and still make less than $1.15 million could he not? Talk about spin...

Old
11-08-2003, 06:54 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Tempting To me it sounds too good to be true and Lowe would be a fool not to make that trade ! Handzus + another player (a young D-man), what more can he honestly expect / want ?
That's not necessarily true.

They said the Flyers are offering

Handzus and a player

it's Lowe that's hoping

a player = Seidenberg or Woywitka

For all we know that player could be Eric Weinrich (no knock on Eric, I just threw a name in there).

Old
11-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Blatny Spears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
The most tempting and resonable offer that I have heard to date are the trade proposal with Atlanta, Florida and Philly.

Comrie to Atl for Coburn + Stefan

snip
Are these 'legit' offers you've heard, or just stuff you've heard on message boards? I can pretty much guarantee that Atlanta has not offered Patrik Stefan and Braydon Coburn, let alone Coburn alone.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:36 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
Are these 'legit' offers you've heard, or just stuff you've heard on message boards? I can pretty much guarantee that Atlanta has not offered Patrik Stefan and Braydon Coburn, let alone Coburn alone.
Rumour has it that the Oilers had scouts at the Atlanta/Buf game and at a recent Portland Winterhawks game as well. I have no links though.

I doubt that they'd send scouts to watch Coburn if they were given a big fat no from Atl.

[edit: Lowe was at the Buf/Atl game: link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...51&hubName=nhl ]

Old
11-08-2003, 08:48 AM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
more fuel to the fire-
snip

Quote:
Thrashers GM Don Waddell is almost desperate now with the injuries to Dany Heatley, the death of Dan Snyder and now a long-term injury to center Marc Savard (eight to 10 weeks with a torn ligament in his ankle), but he's loathe to give up Coburn, who is considered a huge part of Atlanta's future. Coincidentally, Comrie's agent is Rich Winter, who also represents Stefan, a player who has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't matched overall expectations.
Well that should end the Stefan rumours

Old
11-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
Well that should end the Stefan rumours
Good eye vb, I never caught that.

My guess is that MC is the problem with getting this done moreso than RWinter. If Comrie wanted to be an Oiler he would have 12 gp, 4-6-10, -6, 39 pim by now.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:13 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
My guess is that MC is the problem with getting this done moreso than RWinter. If Comrie wanted to be an Oiler he would have 12 gp, 4-6-10, -6, 39 pim by now.
I agree 100%. My sister dated an NHL player agent for a while, and I was really surprised at how these things work in a lot of ways.

And if there is one thing I am absolutely certain of ... it is that the players are telling the agents what to do, NOT vice versa. It may be easier for fans to accept that the agent is the baddy, not the player ... but it is extremely rare that this is the case.

The agents do what they are told, handle every petty problem for the player, constantly tell the player how great he is ... and hope the player continues to use him to represent. It is a large amount of money that we're talking about here ... and as far as the agents go; better men do worse things every day in the business world.

My two cents.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think that Comrie will finally say something soon, probably something along the lines of there has to be a line between hockey and life, and in Edmonton the two were really hard to seperate sometimes. I love the city and have alot of respect for the organization, but It was hard to have a life outside of hockey, and that has been a difficult transition for me.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:32 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I think that Comrie will finally say something soon, probably something along the lines of there has to be a line between hockey and life, and in Edmonton the two were really hard to seperate sometimes. I love the city and have alot of respect for the organization, but It was hard to have a life outside of hockey, and that has been a difficult transition for me.
I wish he would do that, I'm sure Winter wishes so even more.

Though if I were Mike's mentor I would be telling him to keep his pie-hole shut. Chances are that MC will come off as an arsehole in any sort of protracted interview. IMHO the strongest tactic for Mike now is to stay quiet and let his agent represent. When there is resolution (i.e. a trade) he should turf Winter and imply that he was lead down the garden path by this unscrupulous beggar. (see Bure with Levin, or even Gaborik with Walsh)

I'm sure Winter sees this coming too. It will be interesting to see if he dodges the bullet.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Oilhitch

If you ask me, Comrie and Winter are looking like bigger fools every day. I would like to have this over as much as anyone else (because the Oilers need a top line centre ) but a part of me want to see Lowe do nothing with him all year. Comrie might just go on national TV and cry.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:31 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

well myself for one will be happy once comrie is gone. i might be wrong but we do not need this immature distraction speaking to the papers about his desires or needs. get used to the real life mikey lowe will not trade you unless he gets a maximum return, that is the oilers right. i feel very bad your time in edmonton was stressful and hurtful, oh wait grow up kid.

Old
11-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
i might be wrong but we do not need this immature distraction speaking to the papers about his desires or needs.
Did you say "immature" or "miniature"?

Old
11-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant
Did you say "immature" or "miniature"?
he said immature

Closed Thread