HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#50: KINGS vs. SENATORS 1/23/’12 ... Offense EXPLODES for 4 goals we WIN, go figure ?

Old
01-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

vCash: 500
Stoll is still one of the highest-percentage faceoff guys in the NHL. Only about a half dozen centermen in the NHL who have played a full season are higher. This is why Stoll gets PK time and takes defensive zone draws late in close games. We know he can play better in the offensive zone than he has lately. Let's see if he picks it up after the all-star break before we go rushing him off to waivers.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:06 AM
SLang

Richards/Stoll clip is a classic.

Actually felt bad for the sens tonight...they were truly getting screwed by the refs. For a split second I actually hoped Lewis wouldn't score on the PS. Then I thought about that game in Mtl where Drew got tripped and we gave up a goal on the non-call.....then the game in Ottawa discussed earlier in this thread....... the numerous goals that have been disallowed for high sticks that clearly weren't above the cross bar......and I'm thinkin' **** 'em......cmon Trevor, put it in!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:09 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Stoll is still one of the highest-percentage faceoff guys in the NHL. Only about a half dozen centermen in the NHL who have played a full season are higher. This is why Stoll gets PK time and takes defensive zone draws late in close games. We know he can play better in the offensive zone than he has lately. Let's see if he picks it up after the all-star break before we go rushing him off to waivers.
Agreed with all that, but he just doesn't seem to be playing smart lately.....that blatant high stick the other night, in the offensive zone, while on a power play, down by one at the end of the game being a prime example.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
...that blatant high stick the other night, in the offensive zone, while on a power play, down by one at the end of the game being a prime example.
Exactly my point about the offensive zone. I remember that play. He can't be doing that. We've seen him be smarter than that and a better player than that. He's on thin ice but still worth a shot to see if he can recover his offensive game.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Too bad the one guy who needs it the most is going to be at the all-star game.
He should loan Bernier his mask, pads and jersey!

Our backup's good enough to fool them for a period...

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

I've been saying for a couple months now that we aren't scoring because we lost almost lines worth of good players and replaced them with one guy (Richards). But did we just "grow" a line tonight??

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:25 AM
ean

If there is one mistake TM made, it was not distributing ice time enough across the lines. Everyone was calling out Clifford for not playing like he was last season yet he was only getting 6 mins of ice time a night. Kind of hard to get in a rhythm. Meanwhile puffs like Penner get 17 minutes a night to float around. Now the bottom 6 is actually seeing regular minutes and low and behold we find out they can be effective at their role while the top 6 actually gets hungry for their ice time. Its made the entire team better.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Manny*

Good game, guys.

Doughty was outstanding. Really impressed me tonight. Quick was also real good. You guys are lucky to have him.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Richards needs a winger with some hands. His talent and creativity are being wasted, and it's a shame to see his obvious frustration trying to carry Penner and Stoll every night.

Other than that, amazing game, Westy was even flying out there.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
So opinions that are not in line with your own are met with hostility now?
No, opposite opinion, methodical debates and interesting arguments are always welcomed with open arms.

Complaining about refereeing from a game over a year ago is met with hostility. Because you seriously need to get over that. We won. Focus on that, discuss that, and stop complaining about a game OVER A YEAR AGO THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS GAME.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:56 AM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Good game, guys.

Doughty was outstanding. Really impressed me tonight. Quick was also real good. You guys are lucky to have him.
Probably one of Doughty's best games of the year. When he is on, he is fun to watch.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Seriously I think Doughty, Lewis had their best games of the year. Gives me hope

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:00 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdarkness View Post
what are chances we see bud holloway in the nhl this season for atleast a few games?
probably none.The NHL doesn't pay as well as the SEL, especially for a 23 yr old.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

4th line played great, lots of flying around hitting and bringing energy. Needs this at least every other night.

Lewis and Drew played really well too.

Still love the energy from the Lewis-Lokti-Richardson. Started calling them the C average line. All centers and pretty average so far. But definite room for growth.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Just back from the game, reviewing the recording, boy did the Sens get ripped off on that penalty shot.

But no matter, Kings pretty much dominated the game up until then anyway. Kind of a sloppy undisciplined third, but Sens still couldn't take advantage.

Hopefully they can use this game as a catapult after the ASG break.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Scrivezina
Need Another Cup

Fun game to watch. I think Stoll didn't have as good of a game but it was fun watching the 4th line roll.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:46 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

We found that Sutter energy again, and we figured out how to get bodies in front of the net. That's a good sign. I hope we recognize that we have to keep that up, it's the kind of thing that can get us that extra goal or two each game, which for this team, will make the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
I don't think we could get that. At least he kept his penalty streak going.
That miss on Voynov's pass was a shot a midget player could put in the net.
thank goodness he is a UFA
While I agree he didn't have a good game, if you go back and watch that replay the pass is tipped by the defenseman before it even gets to Stoll.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
At least we got the right Doughty last night. If that guy shows up the rest of the way, we will have greatly improved our odds.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:36 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

A great way to go into the all-star break. Good job by the Kings!

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Hopefully this is the game that gets everyone to realize that we're a pretty damn good hockey club. Huge win over a talented team.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Moscowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
Yes!!

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Good game, guys.
I gave 111% tonight. I am glad someone noticed.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
Doughty had a great game!
He did look very good. That's the Doughty we'd like to see more of.

It's great to get a convincing (less stress) win heading into the ASG break.

Looking forward to the grudge match vs CBJ next week.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
So we're back to being happy? Cool.
Exactly. People here flip-flop so much, even in between games nevermind losses. During our eight game lay off, I bet we have several threads on the woes of the Kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Haha, love yah Rick.

Rick reacts to Stoll being completely useless.

I am still a Stoll fan, but this is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
To those saying Sutter revived Lewis' career; I completely disagree. Terry Murray never gave Lewis a chance, the guy was one of our best forwards in the Sharks series last year and played very well on the 4th line. TM never gave him a chance to succeed, always moved him around and Lewis was arguably our best penalty killer last year too.

He's found a spot on this line with Lokti and Richardson, that was Sutter's calling and idea, I'll give him that. Everyone knows about my man crushes on Lewis and Toffoli, but I'm just happy to see Trevor finally getting a chance to succeed and help the team win
I guess. I've just never been a Lewis supporter. He's shown some energy out there since Sutter came around, no doubt, but so has a lot of the rest of the team (not so much Stoll). The fact Lewis has all of one point, a penalty shot goal no less, since Sutter came onboard speaks volumes to me. He's basically Craig Johnson version 2.0. Even with a skilled centre in Loktionov the guy can't score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Willie Mitchell has now surpassed Penner in production for the season (factoring in +/- as the tie breaker).
As sad as that is, what's even more disturbing is that Penner is still 10th in team scoring currently, and Stoll is 8th.

Btw, biggest shocker of the year, Jack Johnson is last in +/- again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Too bad the one guy who needs it the most is going to be at the all-star game.
Where he'll play one period and likely not try to much. I'm sure he can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I've been saying for a couple months now that we aren't scoring because we lost almost lines worth of good players and replaced them with one guy (Richards). But did we just "grow" a line tonight??

- R
We replaced them with Richards AND Gagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
If there is one mistake TM made, it was not distributing ice time enough across the lines. Everyone was calling out Clifford for not playing like he was last season yet he was only getting 6 mins of ice time a night. Kind of hard to get in a rhythm. Meanwhile puffs like Penner get 17 minutes a night to float around. Now the bottom 6 is actually seeing regular minutes and low and behold we find out they can be effective at their role while the top 6 actually gets hungry for their ice time. Its made the entire team better.
While I don't agree with your overly positive assessment of the bottom six as a whole, I completely support the assessment for Clifford. His ice time hasn't jumped a lot under Sutter, but it is up a bit and I think he's starting to round into a more productive form. Plus he's back to fighting from time to time, which is a big change from the TM days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
At least we got the right Doughty last night. If that guy shows up the rest of the way, we will have greatly improved our odds.

Great pic, lol.

I'm sure gald we won tonight. I doubt I could have stood how the boards would have been swarmed with chicken little sky is falling crap had we lost. Imagine entering the all-star break with a two game losing streak? We'd have DL should be canned, DS was a mistake, everyone should be gone for picks, let's rebuild now, fail for Nail and every other kind of assinine statement you can think of on here.

Go home, rest up guys, let your brains declutter and come back and play hard. The break could be an especially good bonus for Quick, who needs the rest, Penner and Stoll, who both need to figure out what happened to their hands. A combined 43 goals last year, eight so far this year. Need to be better.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
I don't think we could get that. At least he kept his penalty streak going.
That miss on Voynov's pass was a shot a midget player could put in the net.
thank goodness he is a UFA
thats harsh since Kuba got his stick on the pass before it ever reached Stoll, Stoll didnt touch it, and never had a chance to based on how much it deflected right infront of him

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote