HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chris Tanev Re-Assigned to Chicago

Old
01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Obviously I had my eye on Tanev all last night. He looked A LITTLE miffed by the NHL speed (something to be expected that likely was a short term thing) but he also makes really soft little passes when under pressure. They are very effective and Hamhuiseque and I'm not saying it's either good or bad, just something I noticed.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I dont know about that.

Rome has bided his time in the NHL and has proven to be a solid depth defensman. The Canucks would love to keep him, but I dont think Rome is in the position to take a hometown discount.

Teams will give him $$$ and term as UFA IMO.
I get the feeling Rome will be back. The coaches love him and the Canucks were the first franchise to give him his first real shot; I think Rome has a sense of loyalty here. And truth be told, he is a solid bottom pairing defensemen (or a massive luxury as a No. 7). It's just when he gets overplayed in the top four where he becomes an issue.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
If by larger you mean taller, then yes.
If by larger you mean big body, then no.
Well, he has filled out a bit since last year. He isn't the beanpole he was during the Dman-pocalypse we brought him up into.

And dammit, I wanted the kid to get a longer look.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I get the feeling Rome will be back. The coaches love him and the Canucks were the first franchise to give him his first real shot; I think Rome has a sense of loyalty here. And truth be told, he is a solid bottom pairing defensemen (or a massive luxury as a No. 7). It's just when he gets overplayed in the top four where he becomes an issue.
I agree with this. We can't blame Aaron Rome when our D gets injured and he is thrown into a top 4 role. I'd say in a cap world, he's an ideal 6th/7th defenseman.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:01 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Was just pointing out a bad move. Obviously it's far outweighted by his other moves that off-season but the team would've likely been better without it.
Posts like these annoy me to no end. Both of the examples you provided do not consider any factors such as concussion issues or waiver eligibility. Decisions are not made in a vacuum! Neither of those 'bad moves' were bad. They were moves based on what the team needed moving forward.

The Canucks were not in a position to offer a player one hit away from a career ending injury the contract he desired (especially given the players' lack of speed and mobility in which the Canucks current system relies upon. Furthermore, there may or may not have been issues with the coach as well as with other players: Kesler). Although Salo is injury prone, he has not had a history of concussions. Plus his transition game is very good.

As for Grabner, being waived by Florida is all that needs to be said. Clearly just not a good enough player at the time of the trade.

Gillis may have made mistakes, but the the two you reference were not one of them.

The Optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Rome is a good hockey player. His struggles in the top 4 are exaggerated, he's been solid in the top 4 while playing the left side. He has a tough time on the right side (as many players to when the switch) but that shouldn't be confused with not doing well when promoted.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 11:40 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
The Wolves are playing here in Abbotsford tomorrow and on Wednesday.
I'd love to head down there, being as I can basically walk... But those games always get sold out..

Plus exams... Exams suck

JumpierPegasus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Mitchell walking/trading 1st + Grabner for Ballard, bro.
And let me guess ... when it happened you said MG sucked.

We have a bandwagon loaded with all the Captain Hindsight wantabees.

The mainpoint is that Salo is probably the best value for money player on the Canucks right now ... well not on an ELC. Burrows is 2nd.

Salo would have been a serious Norris consideration some years if he played more than 16 games. (yes i know, I can count, its called exageration).

Tanev has a great future here, he is not a BUST like some other draftees. (you know, disappointments like the Sedins, Schneider and Cody- all of which would have been traded at some point if this board controlled the world)

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:22 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
And let me guess ... when it happened you said MG sucked.

We have a bandwagon loaded with all the Captain Hindsight wantabees.

The mainpoint is that Salo is probably the best value for money player on the Canucks right now ... well not on an ELC. Burrows is 2nd.

Salo would have been a serious Norris consideration some years if he played more than 16 games. (yes i know, I can count, its called exageration).

Tanev has a great future here, he is not a BUST like some other draftees. (you know, disappointments like the Sedins, Schneider and Cody- all of which would have been traded at some point if this board controlled the world)
Salo's lowest games played in a season was 27, and that was last year. Other than that, every year he's been an impact player he's played 60+ except for one year where he only got 59 games in.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:04 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

He'll be back the next time someone goes down or once the playoffs roll around.

They want him logging big minutes down on the Wolves and developing into the player they think he can be. At this rate he's coming along nicely. Keep you pants on, he'll be a regular soon enough.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:12 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Salo's lowest games played in a season was 27, and that was last year. Other than that, every year he's been an impact player he's played 60+ except for one year where he only got 59 games in.
Yogi, you did note where I used the word "exageration" and also where I said that Salo was perhaps the best value for money player on the Canucks and also where i pointed out that he likely was close to Norris level consideration ...

But other than those points I really think they should trade the guy for Weber ...

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpierPegasus View Post
I'd love to head down there, being as I can basically walk... But those games always get sold out..

Plus exams... Exams suck
I've hardly studied for my Socials Provincial. look at all the ****s I give. hahaha

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:27 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Mitchell walking/trading 1st + Grabner for Ballard, bro.
You really aren't going to sign Mitchell to a $3.5m/yr., 2-year commitment are you?

MG's ballpark was more around 2.25, 1 year.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:06 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
You really aren't going to sign Mitchell to a $3.5m/yr., 2-year commitment are you?

MG's ballpark was more around 2.25, 1 year.
Not to mention that Mitchell played 48 games for the Nux was concussed and then only played 53 games for the Kings the next year. He's been healthy so far but the real risk on him wasn't his ability to play well, it was his ability to stay healthy and he hasn't exactly done anything much to disprove that.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Not to mention that Mitchell played 48 games for the Nux was concussed
Didn't help that Campbell was the 'sheriff' (more like deputy Barney Fife) that would let punks like Malkin give crosschecks to the back on players (causing Mitchell to go headfirst into the boards) without any repercussions.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
CpatainCanuck

The only reason he was sent down is because he doesn't have to clear waivers. It's shrewd cap management to keep him in the minors during the regular season. He'll be a fantastic call up in the playoffs.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
The only reason he was sent down is because he doesn't have to clear waivers. It's shrewd cap management to keep him in the minors during the regular season. He'll be a fantastic call up in the playoffs.
Cody Hodgson 2.0

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote