HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Neal's next contract

Old
01-24-2012, 11:28 AM
WVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letanger View Post
...and some more that were purely malkin setting him up as in malkin does all the work beats the D fakes the goalie and Neal just chips it in empty net....
I don't remember much of that at all this year, honestly. Maybe you can post some videos as I'm sure all of his goals are online.

What we're seeing right now is a megastar and a really good goal scorer with a great shot developing serious chemistry.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
For some reason when i saw that i read it as 5.5 Billion.
Our GM's name is Ray Shero, not Glenn Sather.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

its funny how when talking about Neal in a different context people describe him as amazing, accurate shot, quick release, physical

but when contract time rolls around, he meh not that good, only good cuz malkin

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I don't remember much of that at all this year, honestly. Maybe you can post some videos as I'm sure all of his goals are online.

What we're seeing right now is a megastar and a really good goal scorer with a great shot developing serious chemistry.
I agree. Neal seems like the kind of player that could score with anyone. Yes, Malkin creates room with what he does, but from what I see of Neal he shoots from basically anywhere and everywhere. And a lot of those shots do not have anything close to a clear line to the goalie. they are hardly empty net tap ins. He reminds me of Ovechkin in some ways in that regard. And his shot is amazingly fast and fairly lethal. Do not get me wrong Malkin and Neal compliment each other perfectly. But Neal is hardly leaching off of Malkin, not with the way he plays.

As for the deal, I would love to tie up some UFA years. Six years for $33 million. That would take him to age 31 and buy up a few UFA years. As an added bonus it would make Malkin happy and you may save a little bit when his contract comes up for negotiation.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Wait... what?
Thirst thing I wanted to point out.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 01:23 PM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I agree. Neal seems like the kind of player that could score with anyone.
Such as Mark Letestu and Alexei Kovalev?

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I agree. Neal seems like the kind of player that could score with anyone. Yes, Malkin creates room with what he does, but from what I see of Neal he shoots from basically anywhere and everywhere. And a lot of those shots do not have anything close to a clear line to the goalie. they are hardly empty net tap ins. He reminds me of Ovechkin in some ways in that regard. And his shot is amazingly fast and fairly lethal. Do not get me wrong Malkin and Neal compliment each other perfectly. But Neal is hardly leaching off of Malkin, not with the way he plays.

As for the deal, I would love to tie up some UFA years. Six years for $33 million. That would take him to age 31 and buy up a few UFA years. As an added bonus it would make Malkin happy and you may save a little bit when his contract comes up for negotiation.
We forget that last year he had 1 goal in 20+ games. You need an open lane to shoot....Malkin tends to create that.

I think those are leveraging points....
Also if someone could dig up how many points he got with Malkin out.

Lastly, I'm sure his powerplay goals would get a dent in it when Crosby comes back.

My point is that Shero would be stupid to pay him Stamkos like money after 1 good season with Malkin in god mode centering him.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcastlemagic View Post
anyone that doesn't leave him as the focal point of the offense. He is the ideal linemate for a playmaker.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcastlemagic View Post
He was incredibly snakebit during that run.

I am not discounting how well Neal works with Malkin. Like Peas and Carrots as Forest Gump used to say. But I would not take that perioed the end of last year as indicative of his inability to score without riding shotgun with a guy like Malkin. He got off a ton of quality shots last year, shots that were as on goal as they were this year. But just had the worst series of luck I have ever seen.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Letanger*

Neal is a good player and obviously we all want him re-signed, but he is currently having one hell of a year and throwing a ton of money at his as in over 4.5mil would be a mistake that could cost us. If we can sign him to like a 2 year 3.5-4mil per deal and he keeps having 30+ goal years then by all means give him 5+ next time but after one good year it would be a bit risky. If he wants more then 5 i'd rather add little more and get Parise instead.

Letanger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
spcastlemagic

I agree. Neal last year had terrible luck, and you could also tell he was trying a little too hard - he's not very hesitant to laser the puck now that he's scoring. Funny how playing with Malkin can take the pressure off a guy!

I think Neal needs a talented center to be at his most effective - but I think Geno can get more mileage out of him than any other center in the game. Could there be a winger more tailored to Geno's game? Neal doesn't need to have the puck on his stick to be effective, has the speed, skating, and vision to work the give and go, and has a deadly release. You can say Neal's success this year is "all Malkin", but those two are synergistic if anything, and will become more incredible to watch as they gel together.

So in other words sign Neal to a six-year deal please Shero.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

We have no idea what the new landscape will look like after Fehr and Bettman fight over their agendas this Summer when the CBA expires. We don't even know how RFAs like Neal will be handled to be quite honest.

Fehr is IMHO a much tougher negotiator than Goodenow (who resigned shortly after the new CBA was reached).

The NHLPA never wanted a cap, and while this deal has ended up being much better than they expected, the owners are pretty adamant about adjusting a number of issues that could really affect the players earning potential.

The two most important issues the owners will be digging their heels into are abolishing guaranteed contracts and significantly raising or preferably removing the cap floor... they will also be trying to close off loopholes that have been exploited in the current CBA - such as limiting contract length to 5-7 years, avg. the cap hit by using the 3 highest paid years, etc.

With Fehr at the helm, things could get ugly if the owners aren't willing to concede on a few issues - perhaps there will be a soft cap.. minor luxury tax for overages... etc.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
We have no idea what the new landscape will look like after Fehr and Bettman fight over their agendas this Summer when the CBA expires. We don't even know how RFAs like Neal will be handled to be quite honest.

Fehr is IMHO a much tougher negotiator than Goodenow (who resigned shortly after the new CBA was reached).

The NHLPA never wanted a cap, and while this deal has ended up being much better than they expected, the owners are pretty adamant about adjusting a number of issues that could really affect the players earning potential.

The two most important issues the owners will be digging their heels into are abolishing guaranteed contracts and significantly raising or preferably removing the cap floor... they will also be trying to close off loopholes that have been exploited in the current CBA - such as limiting contract length to 5-7 years, avg. the cap hit by using the 3 highest paid years, etc.

With Fehr at the helm, things could get ugly if the owners aren't willing to concede on a few issues - perhaps there will be a soft cap.. minor luxury tax for overages... etc.
What is a given will be the current HRR of 57% will go down to NFL/NBA level of ~50%. I don't see how the players will be able to avoid it.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

is gonna get a nice payday this summer...

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 12:54 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post

is gonna get a nice payday this summer...
Alot of socks he can buy then.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Alot of socks he can buy then.
We don't buy $100 socks.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 01:42 AM
sf expat71

His release speed is amazing considering the power he gets behind his shot, and he and Malkin have really good chemistry. That being said, I really don't think we should be handing out 6+ year contracts (if they will even be allowed in the new cba) to anyone, even Sid and Geno, with our almost cursed luck with injuries. 3 years, 4 to 4.5 mil, do it Shero!

sf expat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
66-29-33

I'm crossing my fingers but i hope he takes less to play here long term. Him and Malkin sure like eachother, and building a hell of a chemistry together. Neal's career high in goal is 27, Neal has 27 and there is 30+ games left to be played. 40 goal scorer at 4.5M on a long term deal? yes please! even if he takes 5.0 or 5.5 i wont complain, we have been wanting a player like Neal for a long, long time. You get these players, you keep these players.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I'm hoping he takes around $4-$4.5M as it'd leave us some space to shore up others areas. I reckon he'll go for $5M though.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

Neal is definitely one of my favorite players. You don't get a player like him often. He's only 24 years old. If we can sign him for 5 years, 4.5 mil per year, I'd be ecstatic. A true sniper with a crazy shot, and is exactly the only player of his kind on this team as it stands now. I want him here for the long term.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Gold Diamond
Til Death do we Part

We need Neal here long term. His jersey will be selling like hotcakes (if it isn't already)...

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote